Soon... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #1

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Soon...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dbcyHnN9WVWUmCPj6

Heading south in a few weeks. Had to be sure that the kayak would not hit the trailer!
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post

Heading south in a few weeks. Had to be sure that the kayak would not hit the trailer!

Nice set up Carl.

I'm looking forward to carrying our two Perception Eclipse 17.0 kayaks when we pick up our 21' Escape next June. It looks like your kayak is about the same size. It's good to know they'll fit.

BTW, Florida has a salt water kayak trail that goes around the whole state. Florida Circumnavigational Saltwater Paddling Trail (C.T.). It is over 1500 miles. Some folks paddle that like hikers do the Appalachian Trail (A.T.)

And there's the Ten Thousand Islands south of Naples, or the Canaveral National Seashore.or the Springs.

There's a lot of good paddling in Florida.

Thanks for sharing your photo,
Mike
IMJ in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Nice! I’ve got a home built wood strip canoe that I often bring along. Heading to Florida in January and thinking of bringing it along. Traveling by myself and don’t like to pay for shuttles, but often find that for each 2 minutes traveling up stream, translates to one minute back.
Attached Thumbnails
08267D46-9164-4E0C-B6F7-331448FF5370.jpg  
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post

Very nice looking kayak! The two tie down points on the rack seem fairly close together. How do you find the stability of your kayak when it is on your roof rack and you are driving in gusty crosswinds or when passing/being passed by semi trucks? Your picture does not show it, but I would expect that you would typically need to tie the front of your kayak to the front of your car to help prevent any lateral movements?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If Carl's is anything like mine, you get close to zero movement from cross winds. The Thule canoe brackets holds it solid as do the newer styles of vehicle specific feet. Although I;ve never had a canoe move on my trucks roof rack, I personally wouldn't drive at highway speeds without at least a forward painter tied up front somewhere. I have met folks with Thule roof mounted kayaks en route to FL with 2 kayaks and no painters, last I knew they had no issues.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
I would move the forward rack more forward!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
I've car topped our two 13'9" kayaks from Key West to northern BC to the Canadian Maritimes over the years. I would never drive at anywhere near highway speeds without securing the front of the kayaks.

I believe that's a Toyota Highlander in the picture in the initial post. Below the hood, the 2018 Highlander (and probably earlier ones) are basically plastic with no place to secure lines.

Thule (and others) have come up with a great solution. See attached pictures. These two types of straps are placed in the engine compartment, then run out around the hood. Basically slammed in the hood. The two with grommets fit on a bolt about at the location of the front tires for good side stability. The straps on the "hose" section fit into a depression near, above the headlights. Smart design.

I wonder if there should be a camper / kayak thread on the forum here?

(We've had a Scamp 16 for a decade. 40k+ miles on it. We sold it this summer and will be picking up our new Escape 19'er in December.)

... Greg
Not all who wander are lost.

Oh... And on the Highlander, one can't move the location of the cross racks. And, yes they're closer together than one would otherwise want. And for our two Hobies, we remove the original equipment rack cross members, and use a Thule "landing pad", then attach regular Thule cross members wide enough to fit the two kayaks. (Maybe they're Yakima landing pads and cross members, I can't remember.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scratch Pad.pdf (158.5 KB, 31 views)
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't know how the Highlander is equipped, but my 2008 RAV4 has locations for tow hooks. They are behind plastic covers in the "bumper". Toyota only supplied one so I bought a second for the outrageous price of $60.

Toyota didn't include any tow hooks with my buddy's recent Highlander ( he had to have a long discussion with the dealer to get them ).

Inverted V tie-down keeps bow secure.
Attached Thumbnails
caravan three web crop.jpg  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #9

Our 2013 Prius has the two locations for those tow o-rings thingies. But our 2018 Highlander apparently doesn't. Hence the Thule, under hood attachments. In any case, the under hood ones are probably less expensive than Toyota tow o-rings thingies anyway.

... Greg
Not all who wander are lost.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Very nice looking kayak! The two tie down points on the rack seem fairly close together. How do you find the stability of your kayak when it is on your roof rack and you are driving in gusty crosswinds or when passing/being passed by semi trucks? Your picture does not show it, but I would expect that you would typically need to tie the front of your kayak to the front of your car to help prevent any lateral movements?
I had the same thought. I used to carry a 16' canoe on a sports car with roof racks that were close together. I drove over the WAC Bennett dam with a strong cross wind. It wanted to make like a helicopter rotor. Never carried a load like that again without a front tie down.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
One thing you tend to see is a canoe tied from the bow to the front bumper and from the stern to the rear bumper. /------/
The front tie down will keep the canoe from moving side to side and backward, but the rear tie down is doing nothing. If you slam on the brakes, the canoe can just keep going forward.
The rear rope needs to be tied to a thwart like so /------\---
Old 11-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #12

We found, at least with the cross winds along I-80 in Wyoming, that a single front kayak tie down isn't enough to keep the kayaks bows from shifting sideways, causing more wind resistance, and a very worried driver! So, we tie down our kayaks from the front and sides near the front to keep 'em heading directly into the slipstream.

... Greg
Not all who wanter are lost.