Stick frame interior - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2017, 11:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
In a standard stick built trailer, you have a steel frame the trailer body sits on, and the body is framed with wood, with either aluminium siding or gelcoat fiberglass walls attached to the wood framing, and a wood floor, and particle board interior structures ie benches tables cupboards etc.
Some stick build trailers use SOME aluminium framing instead of entirely wood, but still use wood floors and various material for roofs, usually wood for roof trusses. The issue with all of the newer stickies is literally a bead of caulking and some sort of trim piece is keeping water out of the trailer. When you are driving down the highway bouncing and flexing etc and the wind is blowing rain at the trailer, a small separation in a bead of caulk can drive water up into the wood areas and cause rot, often starting without your knowledge.
Also as mentioned, the shitty staples or maybe one screw holding framing together at each joint (no dovetail joints or other interlocking methods used in most cases) and the wood framing is small enough that you cant really run a couple screws through each joint even if you wanted. They aren't 2x4s or 2x6 like in a standard house.

Then you have Livin Lite. They use an aluminium frame, aluminium plank floor, aluminum framing for walls and roof, and aluminum siding. Followed by composite panels and trim, and aluminum framing for the interior structures, like beds, benches etc. They still have a lot of joint areas and seams for possible water ingress, but if water does sneak in, there is not wood structure or finishes for the water to rot or mold.

Finally you have fiberglass campers, where there is a semi monocoque hull with interior wood structure, usually sitting on a steel frame. There are far less seams and joints on the exterior for water to ingress. If water does get in, it can mess things up, but it not as easy for water to get in like in a stickie. As well, at least with what I can tell with the Escape build process, the entire body and interior structure are used to reinforce the trailer, as opposed to the outside framing only in a stickie. This helps keep it solid. My pop up for example has so much flex and flopping around inside that rails, cupboards, etc have screws (where there is a screw rather than staple that is) back out or sheer off, or the member themselves breaks, as they are not tied in to one another in many places, and in many cases are attached to particle board for support.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Best Trailers Built

I have a 17B and just recently removed my front dinette and closet in favor of a couch and storage for Rubbermaid containers (keeps us more organized and loading and unloading a breeze).
When I removed the closet and the 2 dinette benches, I was amazed at how hard it was to get apart. The panels were screwed, stapled, and glued together making a super strong box that was attached to the fiberglassed in wood ribs.
After that I was even more impressed with the construction.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
The interior framing on the Escape is good but can be improved. I wanted the bed area framing reinforced so I removed all the wood, coated the wood with polyurethane and reinstalled using biscuits and wood glue plus screws for all the joints. If I ever want to take the framing out again, I'll have to cut the wood out - no way it's coming apart otherwise.

But those pesky squeeks are gone forever!!
Old 08-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Squeaks

Whoa!
Now I find out my Escape is squeaky. Well there's another example of the possible benefit of a lifetime of abusing my hearing and having tinnitus. Can't hear it so it does not bother me. As has.been pointed out there are many construction methods for boats, RVs and homes. The most tragic accident with an RV that I've seen (as aftermath) was a collision between jack knifed semi trailer ( not tractor) and an older popular Iowa.built motor home. The T bone collision collapsed the motor home above frame structure like an accordion and killed 8 motor home occupants on an icy southern Iowa highway one cold December morning in 1995. Sobering for sure. Don't drive ice unless it's absolutely the only way out of a could get worse situation. Virgil Coonrod was a friend of several of our family members and a good man.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
When I removed the closet and the 2 dinette benches, I was amazed at how hard it was to get apart. The panels were screwed, stapled, and glued together making a super strong box that was attached to the fiberglassed in wood ribs.
After that I was even more impressed with the construction.
I discovered that taking apart cabinetry to rebuild to suit. There were a few shelves added after the initial framing that I could take out reversing how they went in, but the rest was definitely a challenge. Damn, that adhesive holds the panelling to the framing good. I replicated this construction in my mods.

While I understand the merits of metal framing, it just is not a good choice in a moulded fibreglass trailer, especially if you ever intend to do modifications like I did. The bond of the luaun panel, glued to the 3/4 x 1,2&3" framing is very strong, and would not come apart at all with normal use. Heck, it is tough when you have all the right tools.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Those of you removing interior components must remember that some are there for structural reasons as Escape has in the past refused customer requests for elimination of some of the interior walls and cabinets, etc for that reason.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Whoa!
Now I find out my Escape is squeaky. Well there's another example of the possible benefit of a lifetime of abusing my hearing and having tinnitus. Can't hear it so it does not bother me. As has.been pointed out there are many construction methods for boats, RVs and homes. The most tragic accident with an RV that I've seen (as aftermath) was a collision between jack knifed semi trailer ( not tractor) and an older popular Iowa.built motor home. The T bone collision collapsed the motor home above frame structure like an accordion and killed 8 motor home occupants on an icy southern Iowa highway one cold December morning in 1995. Sobering for sure. Don't drive ice unless it's absolutely the only way out of a could get worse situation. Virgil Coonrod was a friend of several of our family members and a good man.
Dave
I learned just how fragile RVs can be in about 1997 driving along a four lane highway in Indiana - a Class A was sitting on the shoulder of the road and all of a sudden attempted to make a U turn across all lanes. I was able to slam on the brakes and drive out to the shoulder but a RAM 3500 was not so fortunate - he hit the Class A broadside and simply went right through it, almost as if there was no resistance at all. The Class A simply disintegrated in the area where hit while the RAM, although damaged, probably could have been driven from the scene. I suspect many of the stick built trailers are more flimsy than that Class A. I do not know how an Escape would handle such an impact but its construction seems much stronger in comparison to other brands.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Those of you removing interior components must remember that some are there for structural reasons as Escape has in the past refused customer requests for elimination of some of the interior walls and cabinets, etc for that reason.
Both the Civil Engineer and Carpenter in me are quite confident it won't collapse.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Both the Civil Engineer and Carpenter in me are quite confident it won't collapse.
If it does, post pictures!!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I wanted the bed area framing reinforced so I removed all the wood, coated the wood with polyurethane and reinstalled using biscuits and wood glue plus screws for all the joints.
Wondering whether we'll have to remove a lot of wood in order to replace the queen mattress when it is done - almost looks like the mattress was built in.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
If it does, post pictures!! [emoji23][emoji23]
Of the trailer, or me hanging my head in shame? [emoji41]
Old 08-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Of the trailer, or me hanging my head in shame? [emoji41]
Both please! Why stop with one or the other?!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote