Stick frame interior - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 escape
Hello Everyone been a member for a little little while but not may posts. I have been following the escape and the new facility that was completed and put into service. I have been reading about RV construction and see by the photos here the interior is stick frame unless I am not seeing other elements. With such a good quality product aluminum frame seems to be the way to go. I am sure someone has a response to this. Before anyone goes hyper now I am not criticizing the product just asking a question. Also, I went to youtube and searching the webs it is amazing I don't see any video of the 21ft 2017 TA. I would think someone has made a walk through video by this time...OK I have my flack vest and helmet on now... ;-)

easytravelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytravelman View Post
I have been reading about RV construction and see by the photos here the interior is stick frame unless I am not seeing other elements. With such a good quality product aluminum frame seems to be the way to go.
The interior furnishings (cabinets, seating areas, and beds) of an Escape trailer are made of wood - generally small-dimension solid wood frames covered by thin plywood panels, but the cabinet door are solid wood frames with solid wood panels in them. The difference between the construction of an Escape and a conventional RV is in the body exterior and structure, which is moulded fiberglass. The place where aluminum tubing is often used in a conventional RV body is not wood in an Escape - it is fiberglass (with some core material, some of which is wood but not as framing "sticks").

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I thought he was referring to aluminum frames, as in the Oliver, not as in construction,
Old 08-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
I have been reading about RV construction and see by the photos here the interior is stick frame unless I am not seeing other elements. With such a good quality product aluminum frame seems to be the way to go.
Hi, do you mean using aluminum instead of wood for the interior walls, etc or the frame itself (like Ford does with the new pickups) ?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 escape
That is probably a question better directed at the manufacturer then the a particular forum. I just imagined the twisting, banging and movement of travel on the wood framing would hold up better with aluminum. But from the response it sounds like the fiber glass is in effect bearing the load.
easytravelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
But from the response it sounds like the fiber glass is in effect bearing the load.
In some cases, Reace has declined to change an interior (wood frame) modification during the build because it is part of the structural integrity of the finished product.

Edited: For example, some folks have wanted to have captain's chairs in the dinette area instead of the benches but the benches are integral to the structure and strength of the unit.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
But from the response it sounds like the fiber glass is in effect bearing the load.
The term for the construction of an Escape is; semi-monocoque. The skin is load bearing but some of the load bearing is shared by the internal frames. Since the frames are bonded to the skin, unlike a wood stickie, there is very little structure to shake loose.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The term for the construction of an Escape is; semi-monocoque. The skin is load bearing but some of the load bearing is shared by the internal frames. Since the frames are bonded to the skin, unlike a wood stickie, there is very little structure to shake loose.

Ron
So we have a semi-monocoque 19 then......
Greg A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
That is probably a question better directed at the manufacturer then the a particular forum. I just imagined the twisting, banging and movement of travel on the wood framing would hold up better with aluminum. But from the response it sounds like the fiber glass is in effect bearing the load.
Wood is a very resilient construction material and is specifically very good at what you describe, "twisting, banging and movement" - think of a tree in a powerful storm. It is also has a reasonably good strength to weight ratio, and reasonable cost. A change to something like aluminum framing inside would also require a nearly complete redesign of how an Escape is built.

An aluminum frame rather than the current steel one, would be a somewhat easier change over.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Lloyd, I had to read your original post several times to make sure I knew what you were asking. I think you're talking about the glassed in wood supports that Escape uses when they are building the trailer. As others have pointed out, this isn't "stick frame" construction, but simply providing a surface for interior components to attach to - rather than using rivets through the shell as some fiberglass trailer makers do. You can see some of the glassed in supports in this photo of our 19 when it was being built.

It would not make much sense to try and attach aluminum strips to the inside of the fiberglass shell for attaching interior components.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Escape19_wood supports glassed in.jpg (26.4 KB, 130 views)