"The Trailer" is home! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've been waiting to say Congratulations, not because I don't think you should feel that way Laura. Because you should! I'm waiting to hear Hub's reaction when he sees the trailer at home. Do you have a GoPro?

Fun times and many memories ahead!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #22

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Leveling the stinkin' trailer

Okay, got it unhitched. Yay - far less trouble than I thought. Pliers worked on the squiggly pin - oh wait, the R-pin.

I've lowered the scissor jacks (or whatever they're called), which have sand pads on them. I've been raising and lowering them more than once trying to get the stinkin' trailer level. Same with front end, via the power jack.

The bubble on the side level indicator still shows to the front. Does that mean my front end is too high or too low? I'm really confused. I've never leveled a trailer, nor have I really used one for home projects. I've raised and lowered the front end and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm level from side to side (or close enough to count).

I put the chocks on both back tires. I only have two of 'em and I'm wondering if I need 4. I also have those thingies that go between the tires to help stablilize the trailer when you're inside.

However, I don't have any BAL levelers as I thought I had 3 more weeks to order them in. Will it be impossible to get the trailer level without them? (sorry not using the kind you drive up on - I don't have that level of driving expertise yet.)

I shall await some expert advice to finish leveling the trailer.

Thanks!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #23

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've been waiting to say Congratulations, not because I don't think you should feel that way Laura. Because you should! I'm waiting to hear Hub's reaction when he sees the trailer at home. Do you have a GoPro?
No, don't have a GoPro, nor do I have a smart phone to record his reactions, as someone else suggested. He's coming back at something like 2-3AM and I know they'll be quite tired after flying back from Dubai. Now with the trailer down the driveway, he won't even see it at first as the Tundra will be in front of it and it'll be dark out. So, it'll be fun to see how long it take him to figure it out.

2.5 more weeks until he finds out! By then I hope to have the blinds in and everything else shoved in there. Exciting times! Which reminds me, time to start measuring for the blinds.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, got it unhitched. Yay - far less trouble than I thought. Pliers worked on the squiggly pin - oh wait, the R-pin.
Success!

Quote:
I've lowered the scissor jacks (or whatever they're called), which have sand pads on them. I've been raising and lowering them more than once trying to get the stinkin' trailer level. Same with front end, via the power jack.

The bubble on the side level indicator still shows to the front. Does that mean my front end is too high or too low? I'm really confused. I've never leveled a trailer, nor have I really used one for home projects. I've raised and lowered the front end and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm level from side to side (or close enough to count).
The stabilizing jacks (they're not specifically the scissor design, but that's not important for this discussion) are not to get the trailer level; they're just to keep it from bouncing around. They should not be lowered until after you get the trailer level.

To level front-to-back, only the tongue jack is moved. If the bubble doesn't move when you raise or lower the front, are you looking at the correct level indicator?

After the trailer is level, the stabilizing jacks are lowered just enough to contact the ground, and should not change the leveling of the trailer... but because they are down, when you step inside the trailer won't move on the suspension.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The stabilizing jacks (they're not specifically the scissor design, but that's not important for this discussion) are not to get the trailer level; they're just to keep it from bouncing around. They should not be lowered until after you get the trailer level.

To level front-to-back, only the tongue jack is moved. If the bubble doesn't move when you raise or lower the front, are you looking at the correct level indicator?
Okay, so I don't lower those stabilizing jacks at all? Jeez. I thought they'd help with the leveling. Scratch that idea. And just to make sure we're talking about the same things - it's the 4 that are on the (more or less) corners of the trailer that you raise and lower with the metal handle with the U shape in it? It's what the sand pads are attached to. Okay, got it.

I'm looking at the bubble level on the side of the trailer by the door. the bubble is at the front of it and hasn't moved a smidge. I've moved the tongue up and down several times and there still isn't any movement.

I also just flung more money to Amazon and tomorrow one of their drivers will fling two BAL levelers my way. Gotta love living near one of their warehouses!

So, when I get those tomorrow, any hints on the best way to get the trailer level with them?

Thanks much and then some!
Old 11-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #26
Site Team

I'm confused, or maybe you are Laura? Ten Forward came with two BAL stabilizers at the rear... stabilizers are used to keep the trailer from moving around "stabilized!". Leveling is done by raising or lowering the tongue (front to back leveling) and leveling side-to-side at the wheels. I have TWO BAL leveling devices which I use on one side (dual axles) when I need to level at the wheels. This is what I use on the axles

What are you trying to do?
Attached Thumbnails
BAL-Levelers.jpg  
Old 11-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Okay, so I don't lower those stabilizing jacks at all? Jeez. I thought they'd help with the leveling. Scratch that idea. And just to make sure we're talking about the same things - it's the 4 that are on the (more or less) corners of the trailer that you raise and lower with the metal handle with the U shape in it? It's what the sand pads are attached to. Okay, got it.
That's right - those are the stabilizing (not leveling) jacks at all four corners, operated with a hand crank (or power drill/driver and an adapter).

Well, they can be used to finely adjust level, but if in doubt about what is "fine adjustment", just assume that they are not for levelling at all. If the bubble is at one end of the level indicator, you're not close enough for fine adjustment.

Quote:
I'm looking at the bubble level on the side of the trailer by the door. the bubble is at the front of it and hasn't moved a smidge. I've moved the tongue up and down several times and there still isn't any movement.
That's the right level. My guess is that either you're way off of level, or the bubble level indicator isn't stuck on straight (unlikely).

It has just occurred to me that the trailer is now in a driveway - driveways are often way off of level even in the final parking location and it may not be possible to get the trailer level with the amount of travel available in the tongue jack. Is that perhaps the problem? It might help to use a regular carpenter's level on the floor inside the door of the trailer: if you lift one end until the carpenter's level has the bubble in the middle, then it should be visually apparent which way the trailer is tilted and by how much.

Quote:
I also just flung more money to Amazon and tomorrow one of their drivers will fling two BAL levelers my way. Gotta love living near one of their warehouses!

So, when I get those tomorrow, any hints on the best way to get the trailer level with them?
  1. Stick the levelers under the tires on the low side (both on the same side), then
  2. crank 'em both up (about the same amount as each other) until the trailer is level side-to-side (using the bubble level indicator on the front of the trailer), then
  3. level front-to-back (using the tongue jack), and finally
  4. put the stabilizers down to keep it all steady.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

After the trailer is level, the stabilizing jacks are lowered just enough to contact the ground, and should not change the leveling of the trailer... but because they are down, when you step inside the trailer won't move on the suspension.
Yes! do not use the stabilizing jacks to try and level the trailer. You have the potential to do some damage to the frame if you put to much pressure on them. I put mine down after i level the trailer and then just snug them up, 1/4 turn +/-. You level side to side by putting something under the down side tires( 2x6, leveling blocks) front to rear is by the jack. Bubble indicator by the door is front to back, the one under the rear window. Is side to side. Or if you don't want to run around every few turns of the jack, i use a 8 in. Hand level on the front a frame .
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #29

Holy Cow!

This is way more complicated than I thought it would be! The motorhome I rented had automatic stablilizers - loved 'em! But, yeah, knew I wouldn't get them for the trailer, but didn't know it was so complicated. As with everything, it'll get easier with time, I'm sure.

Okay, yes, Donna, those are the BAL levelers that I just ordered from Amazon. I got two, figuring I'd put both on one side.

Brian - yes, I'm in a driveway. And actually, it's more grass/dirt than gravel at that point. So, yeah, not very level there to start with. It'd probably be better in our gravel area, but I don't want the trailer up there quite yet. Right now where it's at I can block it in with either the Tundra or FJ until I get some safety measures on to keep it from getting stolen. (Or at least lessen the chances of it happening.)

Should I raise up the corner jacks until I get the BAL levelers from Amazon tomorrow?

Greatly appreciate everyone's help here. I know I'm gonna have lots more - see my next post! And I may have more questions on leveling it tomorrow after the box is flung my way.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #30

Attempted my first mod!

And it didn't work. Dang it! I really wanted to switch out those screw cap covers in the kitchen area, but I can't get them off. Remember, I don't have much strength in my hands (or have any fingernails to speak of). I don't want to try prying them off with a screwdriver as I'm afraid I'll gouge the backsplash. I tried some pliers and ended up squishing them on the inside of my finger instead when they couldn't get a grip on the screw cover.

Any hints on what to do? Thanks!

Did get measurements for the blinds, so off to order those now as I think the company is having a sale right now. Of course they are; I think everyone is!
Old 11-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #31

First things in The Trailer

Okay, I promise not to show every single thing that goes inside of it. But, I couldn't resist on this. I still need to make the pillow covers (thought I had lots more time, but since I got it 3 weeks early, it's gonna wait till my last bazaar is over with).

However, I did get this rug long time ago. And, of course, I had to put in a new pair of slippers that will only stay in the trailer. Yep, purple - no surprise, huh?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04761.jpg  
Old 11-26-2016, 06:01 PM   #32

Here's where it's now parked

Guess I'm getting lots of experience for when I actually go out camping in trying to get it level, huh?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04762.jpg  
Old 11-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
You level side to side by putting something under the down side tires( 2x6, leveling blocks)...
... or in this case, BAL Tire Levelers will be put under the low-side tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Or if you don't want to run around every few turns of the jack, i use a 8 in. Hand level on the front a frame .
Good point - you can put a different style of level indicator on the tongue to indicate front-to-back level - that makes a lot more sense to me that the back-and-forth. If you stick something like this on a level part of the tongue, it will show you both front-back and side-to-side level:

Quote:
This is way more complicated than I thought it would be! The motorhome I rented had automatic stablilizers - loved 'em! But, yeah, knew I wouldn't get them for the trailer, but didn't know it was so complicated. As with everything, it'll get easier with time, I'm sure.
Definitely gets easier with practice.

Quote:
Brian - yes, I'm in a driveway. And actually, it's more grass/dirt than gravel at that point. So, yeah, not very level there to start with...
That makes sense - check with a carpenter's level and you'll know if that's the problem.

Quote:
Should I raise up the corner jacks until I get the BAL levelers from Amazon tomorrow?
No need - as long as the corner jacks are not cranked hard in an attempt to level the trailer, they're fine left down - they'll still keep it more stable as you go in and out while your work on your projects.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
To level your trailer
1) leave the tow vehicle hitched to the trailer. You must first level side to side by putting blocks of some kind under the lower side of the trailer. The bubble level on the back of your trailer is for checking side to side level. The bubble will always move towards the high side of the trailer so you will have to put the blocks under the side opposite the bubble. You will have to drive the trailer forward A distance equal to the length of your blocks, put the blocks behind your wheels, and then back the trailer up on to the blocks. Then go check the level on the back of the trailer. If you guessed correctly regarding block thickness, the trailer will be level and the bubble centre red. If not, you will have to add or remove blocks.
2) When the trailer is level side to side, chock the front and back of the trailer wheels so that the trailer cannot roll away and unhitch the tow vehicle from the trailer. You can pull the tow vehicle ahead a few feet to give yourself room to move around the front of the trailer.
3) Use the level on the side of the trailer by the door to check whether the trailer is level front to back. If the bubble points to the front of the trailer, the front is too high, if it points to the back then the front of the trailer is too low. Raise or lower the front of the trailer until the bubble is centered.
4) your trailer is now level. Lower the stabilizers on the four corners until they are snugged up to the ground, and you are done.

Follow this procedure every time and you will soon be a pro.

Cheers
Dave

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #35

Three Way Never Fade Level

And of course it's an Add-On item on Amazon and I just placed my order! Shoot! Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure out I need a few other things from Amazon that I thought could wait but won't since it's now here.

thanks for the info on that. Sounds like that would be easier than running all around the trailer figuring it out.

It's getting dark. I'm done with the trailer for today and my cats need some snuggles. Tomorrow's another day though! Gotta test out the electrical plug-in (removable!) and all that.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
And it didn't work. Dang it! I really wanted to switch out those screw cap covers in the kitchen area, but I can't get them off. Remember, I don't have much strength in my hands (or have any fingernails to speak of).
The flat side of a common kitchen serving knife. It's what typically works to snap off the "snap caps" on trailers that have exterior "caps and plastic washers." At least that's what's worked on the caps on my Scamp. And just "barely" get the edge of the knife under the cap, otherwise you may catch the screw.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Vents, hatches, etc. sure are apparent on a naked trailer.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Guess I'm getting lots of experience for when I actually go out camping in trying to get it level, huh?
From your picture, the front of your trailer is way too high. Retract all of the stabilizers, lower the trailer tongue until the bubble is in the center, and put your stabilizers back down.

hint: the belly band should be close to level when the trailer is level.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
To level your trailer
1) leave the tow vehicle hitched to the trailer. You must first level side to side by putting blocks of some kind under the lower side of the trailer...
Great description of leveling using blocks
... but with the BAL Tire Levelers, you can unhitch then start the leveling process.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #40

Three Way Never Fade Level

Quote:
And of course it's an Add-On item on Amazon and I just placed my order! Shoot! Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure out I need a few other things from Amazon that I thought could wait but won't since it's now here.
Fortunately, this is the kind of thing at any RV parts store should carry.