"The Trailer" is home! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #21
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 5,737
I've been waiting to say Congratulations, not because I don't think you should feel that way Laura. Because you should! I'm waiting to hear Hub's reaction when he sees the trailer at home. Do you have a GoPro?


Fun times and many memories ahead!
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 1,767
Leveling the stinkin' trailer

Okay, got it unhitched. Yay - far less trouble than I thought. Pliers worked on the squiggly pin - oh wait, the R-pin.

I've lowered the scissor jacks (or whatever they're called), which have sand pads on them. I've been raising and lowering them more than once trying to get the stinkin' trailer level. Same with front end, via the power jack.

The bubble on the side level indicator still shows to the front. Does that mean my front end is too high or too low? I'm really confused. I've never leveled a trailer, nor have I really used one for home projects. I've raised and lowered the front end and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm level from side to side (or close enough to count).

I put the chocks on both back tires. I only have two of 'em and I'm wondering if I need 4. I also have those thingies that go between the tires to help stablilize the trailer when you're inside.

However, I don't have any BAL levelers as I thought I had 3 more weeks to order them in. Will it be impossible to get the trailer level without them? (sorry not using the kind you drive up on - I don't have that level of driving expertise yet.)

I shall await some expert advice to finish leveling the trailer.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Laura, Dirk and Lucy & Spike (the cats)

www.UnderKittySupervision.com

NW Cat Owner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've been waiting to say Congratulations, not because I don't think you should feel that way Laura. Because you should! I'm waiting to hear Hub's reaction when he sees the trailer at home. Do you have a GoPro?
No, don't have a GoPro, nor do I have a smart phone to record his reactions, as someone else suggested. He's coming back at something like 2-3AM and I know they'll be quite tired after flying back from Dubai. Now with the trailer down the driveway, he won't even see it at first as the Tundra will be in front of it and it'll be dark out. So, it'll be fun to see how long it take him to figure it out.

2.5 more weeks until he finds out! By then I hope to have the blinds in and everything else shoved in there. Exciting times! Which reminds me, time to start measuring for the blinds.
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Lucy & Spike (the cats)

www.UnderKittySupervision.com

NW Cat Owner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 7,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, got it unhitched. Yay - far less trouble than I thought. Pliers worked on the squiggly pin - oh wait, the R-pin.
Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I've lowered the scissor jacks (or whatever they're called), which have sand pads on them. I've been raising and lowering them more than once trying to get the stinkin' trailer level. Same with front end, via the power jack.

The bubble on the side level indicator still shows to the front. Does that mean my front end is too high or too low? I'm really confused. I've never leveled a trailer, nor have I really used one for home projects. I've raised and lowered the front end and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm level from side to side (or close enough to count).
The stabilizing jacks (they're not specifically the scissor design, but that's not important for this discussion) are not to get the trailer level; they're just to keep it from bouncing around. They should not be lowered until after you get the trailer level.

To level front-to-back, only the tongue jack is moved. If the bubble doesn't move when you raise or lower the front, are you looking at the correct level indicator?

After the trailer is level, the stabilizing jacks are lowered just enough to contact the ground, and should not change the leveling of the trailer... but because they are down, when you step inside the trailer won't move on the suspension.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:55 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The stabilizing jacks (they're not specifically the scissor design, but that's not important for this discussion) are not to get the trailer level; they're just to keep it from bouncing around. They should not be lowered until after you get the trailer level.

To level front-to-back, only the tongue jack is moved. If the bubble doesn't move when you raise or lower the front, are you looking at the correct level indicator?
Okay, so I don't lower those stabilizing jacks at all? Jeez. I thought they'd help with the leveling. Scratch that idea. And just to make sure we're talking about the same things - it's the 4 that are on the (more or less) corners of the trailer that you raise and lower with the metal handle with the U shape in it? It's what the sand pads are attached to. Okay, got it.

I'm looking at the bubble level on the side of the trailer by the door. the bubble is at the front of it and hasn't moved a smidge. I've moved the tongue up and down several times and there still isn't any movement.

I also just flung more money to Amazon and tomorrow one of their drivers will fling two BAL levelers my way. Gotta love living near one of their warehouses!

So, when I get those tomorrow, any hints on the best way to get the trailer level with them?

Thanks much and then some!
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Lucy & Spike (the cats)

www.UnderKittySupervision.com

NW Cat Owner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #26
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 5,737
I'm confused, or maybe you are Laura? Ten Forward came with two BAL stabilizers at the rear... stabilizers are used to keep the trailer from moving around "stabilized!". Leveling is done by raising or lowering the tongue (front to back leveling) and leveling side-to-side at the wheels. I have TWO BAL leveling devices which I use on one side (dual axles) when I need to level at the wheels. This is what I use on the axles




What are you trying to do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BAL-Levelers.jpg (79.5 KB, 40 views)
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 7,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, so I don't lower those stabilizing jacks at all? Jeez. I thought they'd help with the leveling. Scratch that idea. And just to make sure we're talking about the same things - it's the 4 that are on the (more or less) corners of the trailer that you raise and lower with the metal handle with the U shape in it? It's what the sand pads are attached to. Okay, got it.
That's right - those are the stabilizing (not leveling) jacks at all four corners, operated with a hand crank (or power drill/driver and an adapter).

Well, they can be used to finely adjust level, but if in doubt about what is "fine adjustment", just assume that they are not for levelling at all. If the bubble is at one end of the level indicator, you're not close enough for fine adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I'm looking at the bubble level on the side of the trailer by the door. the bubble is at the front of it and hasn't moved a smidge. I've moved the tongue up and down several times and there still isn't any movement.
That's the right level. My guess is that either you're way off of level, or the bubble level indicator isn't stuck on straight (unlikely).

It has just occurred to me that the trailer is now in a driveway - driveways are often way off of level even in the final parking location and it may not be possible to get the trailer level with the amount of travel available in the tongue jack. Is that perhaps the problem? It might help to use a regular carpenter's level on the floor inside the door of the trailer: if you lift one end until the carpenter's level has the bubble in the middle, then it should be visually apparent which way the trailer is tilted and by how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I also just flung more money to Amazon and tomorrow one of their drivers will fling two BAL levelers my way. Gotta love living near one of their warehouses!

So, when I get those tomorrow, any hints on the best way to get the trailer level with them?
  1. Stick the levelers under the tires on the low side (both on the same side), then
  2. crank 'em both up (about the same amount as each other) until the trailer is level side-to-side (using the bubble level indicator on the front of the trailer), then
  3. level front-to-back (using the tongue jack), and finally
  4. put the stabilizers down to keep it all steady.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hamilton, New York
Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post




After the trailer is level, the stabilizing jacks are lowered just enough to contact the ground, and should not change the leveling of the trailer... but because they are down, when you step inside the trailer won't move on the suspension.
Yes! do not use the stabilizing jacks to try and level the trailer. You have the potential to do some damage to the frame if you put to much pressure on them. I put mine down after i level the trailer and then just snug them up, 1/4 turn +/-. You level side to side by putting something under the down side tires( 2x6, leveling blocks) front to rear is by the jack. Bubble indicator by the door is front to back, the one under the rear window. Is side to side. Or if you don't want to run around every few turns of the jack, i use a 8 in. Hand level on the front a frame .
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 1,767
Holy Cow!

This is way more complicated than I thought it would be! The motorhome I rented had automatic stablilizers - loved 'em! But, yeah, knew I wouldn't get them for the trailer, but didn't know it was so complicated. As with everything, it'll get easier with time, I'm sure.

Okay, yes, Donna, those are the BAL levelers that I just ordered from Amazon. I got two, figuring I'd put both on one side.

Brian - yes, I'm in a driveway. And actually, it's more grass/dirt than gravel at that point. So, yeah, not very level there to start with. It'd probably be better in our gravel area, but I don't want the trailer up there quite yet. Right now where it's at I can block it in with either the Tundra or FJ until I get some safety measures on to keep it from getting stolen. (Or at least lessen the chances of it happening.)

Should I raise up the corner jacks until I get the BAL levelers from Amazon tomorrow?

Greatly appreciate everyone's help here. I know I'm gonna have lots more - see my next post! And I may have more questions on leveling it tomorrow after the box is flung my way.
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Lucy & Spike (the cats)

www.UnderKittySupervision.com

NW Cat Owner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 1,767
Attempted my first mod!

And it didn't work. Dang it! I really wanted to switch out those screw cap covers in the kitchen area, but I can't get them off. Remember, I don't have much strength in my hands (or have any fingernails to speak of). I don't want to try prying them off with a screwdriver as I'm afraid I'll gouge the backsplash. I tried some pliers and ended up squishing them on the inside of my finger instead when they couldn't get a grip on the screw cover.

Any hints on what to do? Thanks!

Did get measurements for the blinds, so off to order those now as I think the company is having a sale right now. Of course they are; I think everyone is!
__________________

__________________
Laura, Dirk and Lucy & Spike (the cats)

www.UnderKittySupervision.com

NW Cat Owner is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.