"The Trailer" is home! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
From your picture, the front of your trailer is way too high. Retract all of the stabilizers, lower the trailer tongue until the bubble is in the center, and put your stabilizers back down.

hint: the belly band should be close to level when the trailer is level.
I agree, it looks nose-high in the photo, but photos can be misleading. It could be that even with the tongue jack lowered all the way it's still not level; if so, a straightforward fix for that would be to put blocks under all four wheels (pull forward, put a wide board behind the tires on each side, back onto them).

If using a carpenter's level, it can be placed on the belly band rather than the trailer floor.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
By the looks (reads) of it, you can present Dirk your deserved "Professional Camper Certificate" when he gets home!!
Old 11-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #43

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
By the looks (reads) of it, you can present Dirk your deserved "Professional Camper Certificate" when he gets home!!
Holy Cow, ain't that the truth! I knew I'd be asking questions on this forum once I got it, but wasn't expecting quite this many this quickly.

And I'll certainly be ready to camp when he gets home!

Thanks to everyone for your helpful hints (so far!). We'll see how it all works out tomorrow and I'll report back on how it went.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:06 PM   #44

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Visitors!

Got my first batch of visitors coming by tomorrow! YAY!

Little do they know they're gonna help me haul the bed (Select Comfort) out there. Well, they did offer to help.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #45

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Oh Laura--I so enjoy your enthusiasm and WTG for getting the trailer home and Dirk will be so darn surprised...
The levelling etc etc will all get easier with time...
Love the new mat and the slippers---looking forward to seeing everything else in place.
Your attic will seem empty soon!!
Old 11-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Good for you going up there and getting it by yourself! I think that your husband will likely notice it even in the middle of the night, even very tired!

You will learn the leveling situation soon enough. Just try to remember to look at the back bubble level and get the trailer leveled side to side before unhitching. That is easy to forget and it needs to be done so as to have the refrigerator level. If you forget, you need to hitch up again. No way for newbies to know all of this stuff. Ice-breaker's directions should help you.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #47

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Great description of leveling using blocks
... but with the BAL Tire Levelers, you can unhitch then start the leveling process.
Model 28050
Designed for single axle trailers only, the leveler can be used with the Single Tire Locking Chock (Model 28020) for added stability while leveling.
Single Axle?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Congrats on picking up your new Escape. What a journey to this point! Can you tell us how much time elapsed between the email notifying you that your trailer was complete/entering Quality Control (QC) phase and the time you picked it up? Ours is due Dec. 22nd, but we received an email stating it was going into QC.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
Model 28050
Designed for single axle trailers only, the leveler can be used with the Single Tire Locking Chock (Model 28020) for added stability while leveling.
Single Axle?
Yes, Norco says that their BAL Tire Leveler is intended only for single-axle trailers; however, if they will fit side-by-side under tandem wheels, two can certainly be used. I'm not saying whether they should be used with tandem axles or not, just that if they are used then side-to-side leveling can be done after unhitching and moving the trailer back and forth is not required. In any case, Laura has chosen to use this device - perhaps based on experience reported by other Escape owners - and my comments in the thread about her new trailer are relevant to her situation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Congrats on picking up your new Escape. What a journey to this point! Can you tell us how much time elapsed between the email notifying you that your trailer was complete/entering Quality Control (QC) phase and the time you picked it up? Ours is due Dec. 22nd, but we received an email stating it was going into QC.
Thanks! We got the final photos on Dec 18th (a Friday), stating it was going into QC and the email on the 22nd (a Tuesday) stating the trailer would be ready for pick up the following day. However, Tammy needed to check her driver's schedule and needed 24 hours to notify Customs it was coming through. So, technically I couldn't have gotten it on Wednesday. I told her I could get it either Thursday or Friday and she scheduled me for 8AM on Friday. She also stated they would be closed from Dec 2-5th for a team building retreat.

You're getting there yourself! YAY!
Old 11-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I can't imagine sitting in the trailer with a wet swimsuit on.
good luck in telling your grandchild not to sit on the cushion with a wet swim suit on, it happens.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #52

Leveling - still working on it

Okay, got the two BAL levelers (the black tube ones) from Amazon. Heavy box. Took them out, put them together and the stinkers don't work! Not wide enough. The info states they work on some 15" wheels - well, not these!

Heck if I know how they work for you, Donna (and others that have stated they use them). Maybe the tires have changed since then. Mine are: Carlisle Radial Trail, ST205/75R15

So, now I get to find out how Amazon is on returns. The couple that came by today for a tour even tried to see if they could get them work, as they've used them before. Nope, no go.

I'm gonna send an email to the Purple Line Mover folks as they have the same type of levelers (KoJack) and they said they would work. I'm going to double check before ordering though.

I also lowered the jack down as far as it would go and the bubble still didn't move. I'll try putting a level inside to check, but that's a project for later. there is one on top of the electric jack and it did move a smidge when I lowered it. Least it's pretty level side to side.

We'll probably put some gravel down there eventually, which will help with leveling, I think. I hope!
Old 11-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #53

I used two B@l levelers on my 19, but it may have had 14" wheels, can not remember now.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

good luck in telling your grandchild not to sit on the cushion with a wet swim suit on, it happens.
Not sure I follow this, because if I tell them to not do something, they know to listen. I may be a fun grandpa who spoils them, but they know to heed my word. Maybe I am just a hardass.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #55

All I know, little children have little accidents and I'm thankful they happen when sitting on the vinyl side versus the cloth side.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Heck if I know how they work for you, Donna (and others that have stated they use them). Maybe the tires have changed since then. Mine are: Carlisle Radial Trail, ST205/75R15
You may need to spread the "arms" just a hair Laura. The second one I got, I purchased used from another Escape owner who's trailer also has 15" tires. I've used them on Ten Forward which has the same brand and size tires you referenced.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #57

Select Comfort bed is in!

Thanks to Judy and Larry for helping me haul the mattress out when they were here earlier. YAY! We put the mattress together when we got it to make sure it would work and never tore it apart (makes sense to those that know how these mattresses go together) as we figured we'd haul it out there when the trailer came. Well, I wasn't looking forward to taking it apart as I knew I couldn't haul it myself. Yay for helpers! Larry and I hauled it while Judy was the traffic director and door opener/closer.

Earlier I had cut the hypermesh to go under the bed. Holy cow, is that stuff fun to cut. Um, no. Used scissors the first time and a hot knife for the second second. If you have strength in your hands - no worries. Oh well, that's what drugs are for - to kill the pain.

Anyway, I'll fiddle with the bed later. It's kind of lumpy now as it was sitting on top of my low dresser in the bedroom against the wall/window. So, it's not super smooth. In the photos you can see how it's a bit shorter than the platform. I have some foam that I plan to put at the bottom of the bed, under the sheets (got queen size even though the bed is full) to fill in that gap. You can also see some of the hypermesh (it's not adjusted but it'll work for now and I need to put some along the edges - later). In one of the photos I moved the mesh underneath so you can see exactly how much the bed sticks out. Not as much as I thought, so that's great. It does cut into your walking area, but it's still doable.

In the second photo I actually shoved the bed up a bit farther than it was in the first.

I'll put sheets and stuff on later, after my bazaar this coming Friday/Saturday is over. Gotta concentrate on that for now. But, I wanted to post these photos as I know some folks were curious as to how that type of bed would work. Still gotta figure out where the pump will go. Might drill a hole in the platform and put it underneath, but will figure that out later.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04891.jpg   DSC04894.jpg  
Old 11-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #58

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not sure I follow this, because if I tell them to not do something, they know to listen. I may be a fun grandpa who spoils them, but they know to heed my word. Maybe I am just a hardass.
The word RESPECT comes to mind...
Old 11-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You may need to spread the "arms" just a hair Laura. The second one I got, I purchased used from another Escape owner who's trailer also has 15" tires. I've used them on Ten Forward which has the same brand and size tires you referenced.
Any suggestions on how I do that? It looks like it would need to go quite a bit farther apart. I'll fiddle with them later. It's getting dark and dumping rain now, so yeah, later.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All I know, little children have little accidents and I'm thankful they happen when sitting on the vinyl side versus the cloth side.
That does happen, but do you put the vinyl side of your chesterfield cushions up when the grands are at your house? For us, this is way more common than them being in the trailer. Though there will be more on the way someday not too far out, the ones I have now are beyond the accident age.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote