"The Trailer" is home! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
"The Trailer" is home!

My orientation was at 8 this morning. I did manage to get about 5 hours sleep - yay! Got out of here early and got there an hour early. Parked in the Best Western parking lot, reading the Tundra's instruction manual on towing. Yeah, nothing like some last minute reading.

FYI - if you get a room there, ask for one on the other side of the road, unless they have really thick windows. Dang, it was pretty noisy sitting there for just that hour.

Traffic was a breeze going up there. Less than 5 minutes crossing at Sumas. Took a few minutes longer coming back and once the guard heard I was coming back with a new trailer, she said "congrats", closed my passport and handed it back. Not a single other question. Yay!

Orientation went fine. There wasn't any pressure to get it done in two hours as I was the only one scheduled for today. Yay! But, it didn't really take much longer than usual, if at all. Discovered a few glitches.

Such as the operator error with the remote for the electric awning. it worked just fine for the two guys doing the orientation (Michael gave it and Roger was listening in). But the remote did not like me (which doesn't surprise me, really, as that stuff happens to me frequently). Pointed the thing every which way but upside down. Wouldn't work for me. Michael - yes, me - no. Dennis came along, warmed up my hands or some such (I said it was an excuse for some flirting) and lo and behold, the remote now worked. Heck if I know why. He was saying something about a vein in my hands or whatever. We never did figure it out. Magic is what I think.

I'm sure it'll work just fine for other folks. And I'll get the hang of it. I'll fiddle with it tomorrow.

Discovered that our cushions have the vinyl backing, which is standard. But NOT what we ordered! It was all in an email, but that info never got carried over to the build sheet and it never occurred to me that the build sheet needed to state "fabric on both sides". I brought up twice as much fabric as is normally used, per their email. But, I guess it never dawned on anyone why there was so much, even when I stated there was 21 yards when I handed it over.

I'm not thrilled about it (to say the least) as I detest vinyl. Tammy found the original emails and acknowledged it was their fault for not getting it on the build sheet. It was suggested that I get a seamstress to remake them - well, I already paid to get them done and now I have to pay someone else to get them done the way I wanted? Yeah, not happy at all.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get the hitch pins out when you don't have much strength in your hands, I would greatly appreciate it. I have a heck of a time with that and didn't even bother unhitching tonight as I didn't feel like messing with it at dusk (which quickly turned to darkness). I'm wondering if using a screwdriver for some extra leverage will help (shove the long, metal end in and pop the pin off - heck if I know as I haven't tried it).

I'm also gonna have a heck of a time remembering how to hitch and unhitch until I do it about a million times. Guess that's a good reason to go out camping, huh? We got the E2 Fastway hitch with integrated sway control and weight distribution hitch. As well as the power jack.

FYI to anyone with this combo and a Tundra (any maybe other trucks) - don't bother spending money on the Jack-E-Up as the tailgate comes down just fine and doesn't hit anything. Guess I have something else (gotta include the faucet they weren't able to use in the bathroom) to list on craigslist at some point.

Yeah, practice time coming up! As well as with backing. Fortunately our parking area is deep enough that I just pulled it forward and it's off the road. I'll deal with it tomorrow. I'm tired.

For those that say they don't even know the trailer is behind them - well, I wonder what you're used to pulling! I could feel that trailer with every bump and sway in the road. I could feel my foot pressing down on the accelerator more than usual. But, I know I'll get used to it over time. Yep, another reason to go out camping soon. And often!

It's really nice that the trailer isn't much wider than the Tundra and it did follow along just fine behind it. I love the back-up camera slash rear view camera. It was nice to know how many cars were backed up behind me on the windy, curvy road from Sumas to I5. (not that I could see with any great detail, but you know what I mean.) I also drove with one hand many times, so I wasn't white knuckling it the entire time. Yay!

Hit the first rest stop along I5 and napped off and on for about an hour, which was really nice. Dirk will love that dinette. He likes a really firm bed (I don't) and that thing was firm! But, I was tired enough so I survived.

Note to those ordering "filler boards". The cushions aren't actually attached to the boards. I thought they would be and we didn't know what the heck was going on when the cushions were on their own. Michael thought I'd use the table, but I said no. After much agony (but not defeat!) we discovered two boards in the underbed storage area. Ah ha! Did discover the table legs and such weren't there, so those were brought over later. Whew!

Not much traffic through Seattle - yay! Everyone was still out at the malls, I guess. Wads of 'em at Cabela's and other places I saw along the highway.

The neighbor across the road has already come over and admired the outside of the trailer. He and his wife will get a tour tomorrow when there's more light and I've got more sleep in me. Plus, he'll help me with backing it up, if I need it. Yeah, I just might.

First picture shows the trailer going through the commercial crossing. Second shows it parked at home. YAY!

I'm thrilled to get the trailer after ordering it just under a year ago. (And wanting it for longer, but unable to order for several months.) It's gonna be great fun to get it all set up. Tomorrow's project is to start measuring for the blinds.

And even more fun using it!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04759.jpg   DSC04760.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Wow Laura, you did it!!!
Have fun the coming days!! And wishing you, Dirk, Lucy & Spike many many happy, fun filled, sunny, safe trips!!!
Enjoy!!! Hope we meet one day!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Lucky! It looks wonderful.

I felt the 15 behind my friend's Tundra. Not in any difficulty to move it, but it was obviously there. No need for mirrors beyond what the Tundra had, and I didn't need to use the brakes, but since I didn't have them I also felt the trailer when I stopped.

Those darn pins can be hard to use. I find the locking pin is easier than one that works like a safety pin, though. Not sure what comes on your trailer.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

Discovered that our cushions have the vinyl backing, which is standard. But NOT what we ordered!

I'm not thrilled about it (to say the least) as I detest vinyl.
A nuisance not to get what you ordered but maybe when you see how damp the backs of the cushions can get from condensation you'll think that maybe it's better having vinyl getting damp than fabric.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 19'
Congrats!
I think we saw your trailer when we were up there on Tuesday, although i did not know its yours at the time.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #6

Trailer: None yet...Dreaming of an Escape!
Congratulations, Laura and Dirk!! Whoo-Hoo!!
Old 11-26-2016, 12:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Congarats on your new rig!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:22 AM   #8

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
No need for mirrors beyond what the Tundra had.

Those darn pins can be hard to use. I find the locking pin is easier than one that works like a safety pin, though. Not sure what comes on your trailer.
Yeah, the mirrors the Tundra came with worked just fine. We opted for the heated mirrors over the towing mirrors since it's not a big-ass 5th wheel trailer and all that.

Oh, now that's a thought - put some sort of lock through there instead of the usual squiggly shaped pin. But, ack - a key I have to fiddle with! Google will be my friend for figuring out what a locking pin is (and graphite for the keys) - thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
A nuisance not to get what you ordered but maybe when you see how damp the backs of the cushions can get from condensation you'll think that maybe it's better having vinyl getting damp than fabric.
I've got a big roll of that mesh stuff to put all over the place to keep condensation down. But, now I get to deal with hearing the vinyl rub against it. Oh joy. But, yeah, know what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
Congrats!
I think we saw your trailer when we were up there on Tuesday, although i did not know its yours at the time.
Well, no way of knowing since it didn't have my name on it in big purple letters. Yeah, whenever I was up there I'd wonder whose trailer I was seeing getting worked on or completed.

Thanks to all the others for their congrats.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:38 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you ever have grandchildren eating inside, you will appreciate the vinyl backing, or if you have swimsuits on, makes the cushions dual purpose versus living room "do not sit there" cushions.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you ever have grandchildren eating inside, you will appreciate the vinyl backing, or if you have swimsuits on, makes the cushions dual purpose versus living room "do not sit there" cushions.
I can't imagine sitting in the trailer with a wet swimsuit on.

Just curious, what would the advantages be either way with a cushion being vinyl backed, or not. I do not foresee an issue with condensation myself, at least it has never been one before.
Reversibility with fabric?
Tougher with vinyl?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
"The Trailer" is home!

One thing I have noticed is the plywood under the cushions are not nice and smooth like finished wood would be. I would be afraid of the fabric catching on the plywood and wearing out the fabric. Of course, I tend to do the "what if?" without ever knowing....[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
One thing I have noticed is the plywood under the cushions are not nice and smooth like finished wood would be. I would be afraid of the fabric catching on the plywood and wearing out the fabric. Of course, I tend to do the "what if?" without ever knowing...
I believe Ian G is one of the first to cover the plywood with carpet to protect the cushions. Direct link to his statement: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...html#post80699
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #13

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Congratulations Laura. Enjoy the surprise of Dirk when he gets home. Your trailer leaving makes room for the team at ETI to start on mine .
Old 11-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
One thing I have noticed is the plywood under the cushions are not nice and smooth like finished wood would be. I would be afraid of the fabric catching on the plywood and wearing out the fabric. Of course, I tend to do the "what if?" without ever knowing....[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I believe Ian G is one of the first to cover the plywood with carpet to protect the cushions. Direct link to his statement: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...html#post80699
Good consideration. One could always just sand and put a good coat of paint on the wood. Maybe a thin rubber membrane on any exposed hinges.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I was thinking of doing that also even with vinyl backing. I have some carpet tiles I was thinking of cutting to size to cover the plywood bench tops.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I can't imagine sitting in the trailer with a wet swimsuit on.

Just curious, what would the advantages be either way with a cushion being vinyl backed, or not. I do not foresee an issue with condensation myself, at least it has never been one before.
Reversibility with fabric?
Tougher with vinyl?
I would expect that the vinyl backing protects the cushion from snags and wear due to rubbing on the bare plywood benches.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #17

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
A year of waiting and planning , congrats - enjoy !
Old 11-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
If anyone has any suggestions on how to get the hitch pins out when you don't have much strength in your hands, I would greatly appreciate it. I have a heck of a time with that and didn't even bother unhitching tonight as I didn't feel like messing with it at dusk (which quickly turned to darkness). I'm wondering if using a screwdriver for some extra leverage will help (shove the long, metal end in and pop the pin off - heck if I know as I haven't tried it).
Reading this, I assumed that the concern is with the L-pins which keep the spring bars on the trailer-mounted brackets. Those L-pins have R-clips on them to keep the L-pin from falling out. If the problem is the R-clip, pliers work (grab round end and pull), but that doesn't change the fact that R-clips are annoying to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
... but this looks like a comment about the retaining clip used with the pin that keeps the ball mount (or WD hitch head shank, in this case) in the receiver; the Fastway E2 instructions call this the "hitch pin". There's no need to remove the mount or head when unhitching, although of course it is better to remove it before driving around without the trailer.

The retaining clip is usually an R-clip... which, yes, can be hard on the fingers. There are safety pins (which work like a safety pin used on fabric) which are easier to use. I like lynch pins, which have a wire retainer that snaps easily over to lock it in place; however, it would be hard to find one of these which is small enough. Any of these are just clips to hold the 1/2" (for 1.25" receiver) or 5/8" (for 2" receiver) diameter pin in place so it doesn't fall out.

Quote:
Oh, now that's a thought - put some sort of lock through there instead of the usual squiggly shaped pin.
Assuming that "the usual squiggly shaped pin" is an R-clip, and that the problem is the pin through the receiver, then yes there are locking pins which might be easier, if you get one which fits your specific hitch configuration well (access can be an issue). The locking pin replaces the 1/2" or 5/8" diameter pin plus the small clip that keeps the big pin from falling out. But I'm still confused: if it is the pin through the receiver which is the issue, then it doesn't stop you from unhitching at the campsite.

If the problem is the R-clips on the L-pins at brackets on the trailer frame, then the big locking hitch pins sold for receivers will not work - you just need an easier-to-use small clip than the R-clips which come with the hitch. That could be the safety pins or lynch pins which I mentioned above.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Congrats on getting your new trailer home safe and sound. Happy Camping.
Mike & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #20

Yet another technical term I didn't know! I strongly suspect it's the R-pin you're talking about that I'm having problems with. I'll snap a photo in a bit. and will research your links. Later, though!

A neighbor just backed the trailer down our driveway. I was concerned the trailer would scrape, but it didn't! YAY! So, now it's at the end of the driveway, still hitched up as I need to get the wheel blocks down from the attic. For the price of a handmade clock with longhair dachshunds on it (Xmas present for his wife), I got the trailer in place.

Once we get a plate for it, the neighbor will give me lessons. Double Yay!