Tick - Tock - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Tick - Tock

Put our deposit down today on an Escape 19'. Clock is now ticking with 207 days until it is completed (April 2013). Now we gotta get to work deciding on options.

Thanks to DMac for showing us his 19 last weekend.

regards
dave

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Re: Tick - Tock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker
Put our deposit down today on an Escape 19'. Clock is now ticking with 207 days until it is completed (April 2013). Now we gotta get to work deciding on options.

regards
dave
Order the front box,Extra tail lights on both sides of rear windows for safety.
Chuck
Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 19' Escape

Congrats on the expected arrival of your 19!!! We are expecting ours on the 23rd of November and the anticipation is exciting. We placed our deposit down the 23rd of August and sometimes think I feel rushed, but all by choice. You will be sure to find LOTS of valuable advice here. Enjoy the planning and look forward to hearing of choices you make.
Cheers Janet

we are the Worth's and this is our little fort....Fort Worth
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Congrats on your order. Exciting times ahead.

I say skip the front box, as there is a ton of storage, but as you can see, folks differ on this.
But do the lights, I just retrofit a set on myself after the fact, as we are taking off Friday with bikes.
Lots of good reading on here which will just about cover all the options available.

Enjoy the planning.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

YAY! Welcome!

We have 2 weeks minus one day till we pick up our 19. Picking out the options seemed to happen very "organically" for us and actually quite easily. We were both glued to the forum (still are...) looking at ideas and pros and cons.

We were very lucky to be able to view Ernie and Sherry's 19 in Victoria; Ernie is a master do-it-yourself-er 8) and had great ideas. What we finally came to terms with is that we are NOT do-it-yourself-ers (much as we'd like to be ), and really appreciated the time and thought Reace and Tammy have put into the options they offer. In the end we thought we may as well spring the extra $$ to have it done at the factory or else it probably won't happen - things like the air conditioning, solar panels, surge protector, storage box etc might have less expensive (or just different) options elsewhere, but we are happy not to have to look any further for now.

The things we knew we wanted from the start were the dual pane windows & extra insulation (tho not the spray on), and custom upholstery. By the time we finished our build sheet, they were already two weeks into the build and it's now almost fully loaded. Sigh - in for a penny, in for a pound - but we don't regret it and are excited.

Good luck and have fun with your planning!
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

"Clock is now ticking with 207 days until it is completed (April 2013)."

Oh dear!
Don't do that!
Counting down, I mean.

I was listening to a show about life on CBC the other day.
What I learned is that the average life-span is 1,000 months.

That gets your attention.

baglo
Old 09-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 19' Escape

Hi Glen & Rosemary,

I see from your post that you did the extra insulation but not the spray on kind..could you please expand and tell me what it was you did and did you have Reace do it.

Thanks & Cheers Janet

we are the Worth's and this is our little fort....Fort Worth
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #8

Dave congrat's to you and your wife , we were the other couple Dave aka Dmac was kind enough to show his trailer too that day and it looks like escape is gonna get some of our hard earned cash as well lol , cheers
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

[quote=JanetW ]
Hi Glen & Rosemary,

I see from your post that you did the extra insulation but not the spray on kind..could you please expand and tell me what it was you did and did you have Reace do it.

Thanks & Cheers Janet
[/quote
I believe the extra insulation is interior and the spray foam is the entire exterior bottom plus tank heaters. I got both as I camp in the winter and want the warmth and the ability to camp below freezing.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetW
Hi Glen & Rosemary,

Thanks & Cheers Janet

Hi Janet,

Yes, it's as Jim describes; at the factory they add an extra layer of insulation to the walls before putting the headliner in. It is an extra option to have the tanks and underneath sprayed with foam insulation. We don't plan for any really cold weather camping, so didn't go for the underneath part, which is to help prevent water lines & tanks from freezing. However, we would like to be extra cosy for rainy days (which our West Coast sees alot of!) and were thrilled that they had the dual pane window option.

If you want the extra insulation and dual pane windows you have to have it done in the factory as they build the trailer - so you need to know before they start your build. I believe we were told that the underneath spray insulation is something that can be done at a later date - better check that though. We were told that the extra windows (over the sink & in bathroom) could also be added later, but we decided to do it all in one go. BTW- the opening window in the bathroom does not come as a dual pane window, but the fixed sink window does.

Having just insulated and replaced all the aged double pane windows in our home, we REALLY appreciate the difference this can make in comfort levels. The single pane windows in the Trillium trailer I had 30 years ago used to sweat; the condensation could be quite bad, dribbling down onto the bedclothes and making it all very uncomfortable (and potentially mildewy! )

Hope that helps
Rosemary
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #11

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

Congratulations. I must admit I am not surprised at all, you seemed fairly sure before you looked at our trailer. I hope everything goes well and it is nice that you are not pressed for time to make your choices on options. Good luck.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker

regards
dave
Congratulations ! Got to keep busy ... so hard to wait ! Hmmm maybe there should be a " Chinook Edition " think that whole thing with "Texas Edition " or the possibility of a "Keystone Edition " for Penn. adds interest .
Old 09-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B

thanks so much for all of your kind words. There are so many good things said on this site about the Escape trailers and the people that build them. It makes me very confident that we are getting a great product, which in turn makes it more likely that we will love it.

dave

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett

I say skip the front box, as there is a ton of storage, but as you can see, folks differ on this.
But do the lights, I just retrofit a set on myself after the fact, as we are taking off Friday with bikes.
Lots of good reading on here which will just about cover all the options available.

Enjoy the planning.
I miss a front box, it was a good place for the batteries, water hose, power cable, extension cords, some tools and camping stuff. My current trailer does not have a box or room for one.
Chuck
Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippo
I miss a front box, it was a good place for the batteries, water hose, power cable, extension cords, some tools and camping stuff. My current trailer does not have a box or room for one.
Chuck
Yeppers, for some it is desired, for others not needed. As I have mentioned before, I might reconsider if ever going on multi-month trips possibly, and needed added storage capacity.

Don't take me wrong, they are nicely built and look great. I do come from a minimalist camping background, having to carry all my gear and food on my back, or in a canoe, for up to two weeks time, so the 19 is like a luxury palace for me, even empty.

My batteries are up front under the dinette seat, and awkward place to get into anyway, and I think even with the box I would keep the batteries there and keep the accessible storage in the box available. I don't take extension cords now. I once did, but never used them. Tools are in the tow, so if needed away from the trailer, would be handy.

I am kinda curious for those with the 19, that if they do use the storage box, do they then not use the under the bed storage for much at all? I just finished packing up the trailer and Piiot for a 2 1/2 week trip last night, and there is still room under the bed, especially if I built in a bit of organizing dividers/shelves, and the back of our car has hordes of room too, pretty much the only thing in there is a ton of camera gear, my guitar, and a few things we like to keep handy.

Granted, we just took everything out of the trailer (did a whole bunch of mods and deep cleaning) and went through our list and what we had in the trailer. We took out a bunch of things that we had full intentions of someday using, that in fact we did not really ever use. Some of these items kinda snuck in there as a one use thing, and never got taken out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I have one group 31 battery in my box middle and 2 water hoses, filter,pressure reducer plastic leveling blocks on the left side, my sewer attachments, gloves, propane(alb) bottle, on the right side with my electrical spares- adapters,cable tv cable, hitch grease, dielectric grease all the messy stuff.
Inside on street side is a telescope, toaster oven and access from the door is shoes and a broom. Street side is toilet paper,portable sink, emergency kits-first aid and heater. The rest interior is all standard stuff-clothes,food,towels, sheets for front if needed. Under bed I keep my electrical cord in a basket,grill and propane stove in a container,screen room(seasonal) 2 chairs. Any computers or books are also kept there if taken.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape

I truly appreciate the front storage box every time we set up camp. It's great to have all the blocks, chocks, power chord and water hose so accessable. I've got a toolbox in the vehicle, but with four people and two dogs in the vehicle there isn't much storage opportunity in the car. The batteries do take up some room in the front box, but we seem to make use of the storage under the benches. When there is only two of us on a trip, there is always empty storage, but with four the 19' set up is just right. Just depends on one's needs.
robinwstebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod

After two summers without a box, we had ours added at the factory as we headed out for a one month trip last summer. What a great addition this has been! Previously, it was a bit of a pain to kneel down and strip off the rock guards to open the tiny hatch, and then wrestle to get the chocks, crank etc out. We also carry a mat that goes under the awning, and it no longer has to take up floor space in the trailer while on the road. The box also carries tools, an axe, fishing gear, wiener sticks etc. We love ours, but you can always get it added later as we did. We will be back at the factory next summer to have the raised lights added, and perhaps drawers added to our closet.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #19

Trailer: ?

Quote:
I am kinda curious for those with the 19, that if they do use the storage box, do they then not use the under the bed storage for much at all? I just finished packing up the trailer and Piiot for a 2 1/2 week trip last night, and there is still room under the bed, especially if I built in a bit of organizing dividers/shelves, and the back of our car has hordes of room too, pretty much the only thing in there is a ton of camera gear, my guitar, and a few things we like to keep handy.
Jm, like you we find there is more than enough storage space on our 19'. We usually use about 1/2 of the space under our bed. However, we did have the front box installed on ours this year. We picked up a few small chips in our travels this summer and after considering a few options, opted for the box for the added protection. I suspect in time, there will be some odds and ends put in it, but I want to be careful I don't add to our tongue weight.
Eugene We is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #20

Trailer: ?

Quote:

Enjoy the planning.
Jim, adding the lights is something I am planning on. When you installed yours, how big did you drill the hole for the wires? Which way did you fish the wires, and finally, what did you use for a sealant?
Eugene We is offline   Reply With Quote