Visuals of High Lift Axle on 2017 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Redding, California
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 20
Visuals of High Lift Axle on 2017 5.0 TA

Here are some photos of my 2017 5.0 TA which I ordered with the high lift axle option. With my truck's bed rails and tailgate at 56 inches, I was right at a height where I could have gone either with the high lift axle or not. I chose to go with it. The clearance between my truck's bed height and the bottom of the fifth wheel's loft area is more or less 6 inches. (Taken at Brandy Creek Boat Ramp parking lot of Whiskeytown Lake National Recreation Area, about 15 miles west of Redding, CA.

Just sharing for information purposes. Perhaps these pictures will help someone decide if they want to get the high lift axle option, or not, at least on the 5.0 TA:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1890.jpg (294.6 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1891.jpg (309.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1892.jpg (206.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1894.jpg (299.1 KB, 139 views)
__________________

Arthur John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Notasulga, Alabama
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Posts: 1,732
Thanks for posting. Great looking rig.
__________________

War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
akmacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Posts: 141
Thanks for posting this, I have been pondering the options for the 5.0TA and wasn't sure what the purpose of the high lift axle was.

Do you know how much clearance the option adds, and is it standard or does it have a range of height it can come with?

Does this option improve the suspension?
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Redding, California
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 20
Thanks War Eagle and akmacs.

I was told by ETI that the high lift axle option would increase the height of my trailer by 2 1/2 inches, but don't know for sure if there's a range of height for the high lift option.

I believe the clearance distance is a combination of the height of the fifth wheel, the height of the truck's bed rails/tailgate and any adjustments (if needed) to the king pin and fifth wheel's hitch height. I have the Patriot 16K hitch which has a 4 inch range on the height of the hitch head plate.

Don't know that the high lift axle option improves the suspension, although I will say that the fifth wheel tows very nicely behind my truck. In general, the added weight of the Escape's payload in my bed does improve the truck's suspension in that it is a more solid feel back there when I'm driving. My truck came with the heavy duty payload option. Mind you, I had never towed any kind of trailer before picking up my Escape.
Arthur John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur John View Post
I was told by ETI that the high lift axle option would increase the height of my trailer by 2 1/2 inches, but don't know for sure if there's a range of height for the high lift option.
I don’t believe ETI messes with steeper start angles on the Dexter Torflex axles (any longer). The advantage of this method would be better ground clearance because everything is up higher including the axle tube. The disadvantage is a rougher ride. If I’m not mistaken the high lift is now simply the standard axle with the Dexter spacer lift kit (2-5/8”). Everything is raised except the axle tube clearance is unchanged. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...71-707-02.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Dover, Vermont
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA!
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I donít believe ETI messes with steeper start angles on the Dexter Torflex axles (any longer). The advantage of this method would be better ground clearance because everything is up higher including the axle tube. The disadvantage is a rougher ride. If Iím not mistaken the high lift is now simply the standard axle with the Dexter spacer lift kit (2-5/8Ē). Everything is raised except the axle tube clearance is unchanged. Someone please correct me if Iím wrong.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...71-707-02.html
Unless you put on bigger tires NO lift kit will raise the axle clearance on any vehicle I know of.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I donít believe ETI messes with steeper start angles on the Dexter Torflex axles (any longer). The advantage of this method would be better ground clearance because everything is up higher including the axle tube. The disadvantage is a rougher ride. If Iím not mistaken the high lift is now simply the standard axle with the Dexter spacer lift kit (2-5/8Ē). Everything is raised except the axle tube clearance is unchanged. Someone please correct me if Iím wrong.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...71-707-02.html
You're right. In fact, the starting angle is achieved by parts built in to the axle, and can't be changed after it's built.

From the Dexter FAQ:
"TORFLEX - Can I change my Torflex start angle?
No, the different start angles are achieved with different components that can't be changed once the axle is built."


All the high lift option does is change the distance between the axle and the frame. Axle height remains unchanged.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Loserpeg, Manitoba
Trailer: 2010 Palomino y series
Posts: 76
Looks good.
Is that an HDPP truck? Don't see a lot of SCAB long box trucks around. Looks like an XL. Custom build/order?
__________________
14 F150 SCAB 4x4 3.7v6 Bunch of mods. Pulling a 2010 Palomino Y series made of OSB, staples and glue.
Wunfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Redding, California
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 20
Thank you Wunfiddy - Yes, I got the Heavy Duty Payload Package as well as the Max Trailer Tow Package. I'd been looking for a 2016 F150 XL SuperCab with an 8 foot bed and finally found one at a dealership about 165 miles away from where I live. You are correct they are not easy to find. In fact, I was told by the dealership that the truck had been special ordered but the customer backed out by the time the truck arrived on their lot. Worked out good for me, although I'm thinking I probably should've gone with a 6 and half ft bed for less overall length and easier backing up. Originally had thought I'd get a regular travel trailer and even bought a Snug Top camper shell for the 8' bed. Sold the camper shell at a significant loss when I decided on getting the Escape fifth wheel.
Arthur John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: In my Escape...full time, California
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 166
Interesting... So, guess I'm wondering just what the value of the high lift option is. Ground clearance is the same overall. Guess the FG pieces do get extra clearance though which could be beneficial.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You're right. In fact, the starting angle is achieved by parts built in to the axle, and can't be changed after it's built.

From the Dexter FAQ:
"TORFLEX - Can I change my Torflex start angle?
No, the different start angles are achieved with different components that can't be changed once the axle is built."


All the high lift option does is change the distance between the axle and the frame. Axle height remains unchanged.
__________________

CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.