What is with the night sky light pollution by travelers? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Question What is with the night sky light pollution by travelers?

We camped at Gilbert Ray Campground in AZ last week and loved the night sky. We even attended a volunteer led effort to view stars through telescopes. After we walked back to our campsite and tried to continue to enjoy the stars, we couldn't due to our trailer neighbors having a string of lights circling their entire rig - on the ground! As we walked through the camp site - we saw several people doing this. Some lights circled both the trailers and the tow vehicles. What is up with this? The owners were inside the trailers and sure wouldn't see the lights much for any reason that I could figure. BTW I was trying to post a picture of this lovely spot - but for some reason I can't get that feature to work.

Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Packrats chew camper and automotive wires. It is believed that units encircled
With the rope lighting will not be vermin targets. I do not know if this is true and do not usually camp where rats are a problem unless you count some university athletic teams. And light won’t deter them, they thrive on it.
Iowa Dave

Old 04-13-2019, 11:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Got to wonder why the rats don't chew the rope lights.
I also wonder what animal is walking around with my rat trap as a lip ornament. Squirrel, skunk, raccoon?

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 19’ Reversed Floor Plan
Stayed @ Gilbert Ray 4 weeks ago - we had lights under & around our 19’ & tow vehicle had hood open day & night with lights. We live 30 minutes South of Tucson & have dealt with Packrats for years (very destructive critters). We have NEVER seen that many Packrats (day & night) as we saw during our 2 day stay @ Gilbert Ray. They are nocturnal by nature & watched them with flashlights in our Campsite & under and around our new 19’ & tow vehicle. Beware that they are followed by hungry Rattlesnakes that emerge this time of year - so watch your dogs & children. Wonderful CG but left after 2 days due to this current infestation.
RB Donath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Had the camper next to us in a FL state park with the led string lights around the entire perimeter of their site, not just around the camper.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:17 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Here I always thought packrats were people like a neighbor I had, with newspapers and other items stacked ceiling high inside their house......
Old 04-14-2019, 06:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB Donath View Post
Stayed @ Gilbert Ray 4 weeks ago - we had lights under & around our 19’ & tow vehicle had hood open day & night with lights. We live 30 minutes South of Tucson & have dealt with Packrats for years (very destructive critters). We have NEVER seen that many Packrats (day & night) as we saw during our 2 day stay @ Gilbert Ray. They are nocturnal by nature & watched them with flashlights in our Campsite & under and around our new 19’ & tow vehicle. Beware that they are followed by hungry Rattlesnakes that emerge this time of year - so watch your dogs & children. Wonderful CG but left after 2 days due to this current infestation.
Hi: RB Donath... I don't want to make light of this camping style, I'm a bit of a "Packrat" myself, but I'd be alright till the rattlers get there. At that point I'm ready to break camp and move. No wonder cowboys wear such high boots!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
What is with the night sky light pollution by travelers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB Donath View Post
They are nocturnal by nature & watched them with flashlights in our Campsite & under and around our new 19’ & tow vehicle.

Mice with flashlights?! Clever little beasties! Where do they get them? How’d they learn how to use them? How do they press the button hard enough to turn them on? Do they change the batteries? I’d think tiny headlights would be more practical. So many questions. Shades of The Mouse and The Motorcycle.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
I spent a week at Gilbert Ray & talked with some of the hosts. About 1/2 of them did lights under their vehicles & swore by them, the others at them. No idea if they really work. I didn't use them other than one night - I felt like I was lighting up the entire campground & put them away. Never had a problem with the rats myself.

I know they do have a pack rat problem at parts of Gilbert Ray (and other campgrounds in the desert). I watched 2 different people tear pack rat bedding out of their vehicle engines while there, and one of the hosts that doesn't use lights did mention that more than one vehicle was towed from the campground with damaged wiring. Some manufacturers use (or used) soy based insulation on their wiring & many animals found it delicious!
Old 04-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
We camped at Gilbert Ray, and at Organ Pipe National Monument we camped 10 feet away from a packrat nest. At the advice of well seasoned Arizona resident, who is a star gazer, we used three bars of Irish Spring soap in the engine compartment, a bar at each wheel, and Gain dryer sheets were also wrapped around the vulnerable wiring in the engine compartment. It's quite odoriferous to say the least. While I saw the packrat come and go at Organ Pipe our pickup was left alone. There is no need for obnoxious rope lights.

One camper just used bright motion lights underneath his camper and said they worked quite well. We now have a set of those also and find they double as lights when we walk to our camper. They rarely turn on, and underneath the truck aren't that obnoxious, but turn off after motion is undetected for 20 seconds. We have about 1/10 the false turn-ons from these lights vs the home motion puc lights we were using.

Enjoy,

Perry