Buying at .81 Exchange Rate and importing to US - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
I sent a personal check for an amount that was $500 less than the balance due and let the exchange rate do whatever it wanted. I was just looking to get it close enough that I could settle up via credit card.

Worked just fine, though the pony express from Colorado to BC took 3 weeks.
When we sold our trailer I requested the American buyer send me a cashiers check for a deposit. He went to his bank, had a check made out to me and asked the bank to mail it. The bank e-mailed me a copy of the check so that I knew it existed. After 15 days no check yet. Called the buyer who called the bank. The check had been returned because the bank didn't pay enough postage. I got the check three days later. "What can go wrong will go wrong"
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #22

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
When we sold our trailer I requested the American buyer send me a cashiers check for a deposit. He went to his bank, had a check made out to me and asked the bank to mail it. The bank e-mailed me a copy of the check so that I knew it existed. After 15 days no check yet. Called the buyer who called the bank. The check had been returned because the bank didn't pay enough postage. I got the check three days later. "What can go wrong will go wrong"
That almost happened to me....
I sent a check to ETI and just by chance my mail lady saw that I had written Canada on the envelope and that I had placed a forever stamp for postage. She knocked on my door informing me those stamps won't work for international mail. I thought a stamp was a stamp but now I know its not lol Bless her heart.
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Needless bureaucracy is in more places than we would care to admit. So I assume that you did not get your license plate and will have to pull the trailer home without one. Loren
I called DMV here in Alabama aka Dept of Revenue and no tag or license without inspecting the trailer. But they said I will have 20 days to get it from there to here I asked about a temp tag and she said that was only good for 20 days so why bother.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1549 View Post
That almost happened to me....
I sent a check to ETI and just by chance my mail lady saw that I had written Canada on the envelope and that I had placed a forever stamp for postage. She knocked on my door informing me those stamps won't work for international mail. I thought a stamp was a stamp but now I know its not lol Bless her heart.
A Forever stamp will work -- if you use enough of them. The first class postage to Canada from here is around $1.15 per letter. I put three Forever stamps on the envelope and voila! It arrived.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
A Forever stamp will work -- if you use enough of them. The first class postage to Canada from here is around $1.15 per letter. I put three Forever stamps on the envelope and voila! It arrived.
That's the same here. I had $1.35 worth of forever stamps and when I took it to the post office they confirmed what she said that the stamps have to show a denomination but that's ok I scraped the forever stamps off (oh yes I did) and sent it on its merry way.
Then after all that, Crystal from ETI tells me since mail for them goes to New York it will take about 10 days for it to arrive.
Just like you were saying about the DMV it was frustrating but now its done.
Marion
Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1549 View Post
That's the same here. I had $1.35 worth of forever stamps and when I took it to the post office they confirmed what she said that the stamps have to show a denomination but that's ok I scraped the forever stamps off (oh yes I did) and sent it on its merry way.
Then after all that, Crystal from ETI tells me since mail for them goes to New York it will take about 10 days for it to arrive.
Just like you were saying about the DMV it was frustrating but now its done.
Marion
That's very strange. The stamps don't have to show a denomination to work because I've done it - several times.

I got this from the Postal Service itself:

"Customers can use Forever Stamps for international mail, but since all international prices are higher than domestic prices, customers will need to attach additional postage. The value of the Forever Stamp is the domestic First-Class Mail letter price in effect on the day of use."

I think someone at the Post Office needs to re-read the book.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21 "BE NICE"
After digging a little deeper on bringing a trailer into the US permanently, I found the following.

The critical line: "The trailer must be imported by a * Registered Importer (RI) or by someone who has a contract with an RI, unless they have a U.S. certification label stating the trailer meets U.S. vehicle safety standards."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-into-the-u.s.

It appears if I purchased a car or trailer I am compelled to use a qualified broker.

Any dissent?
dbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbawden View Post
After digging a little deeper on bringing a trailer into the US permanently, I found the following.

The critical line: "The trailer must be imported by a * Registered Importer (RI) or by someone who has a contract with an RI, unless they have a U.S. certification label stating the trailer meets U.S. vehicle safety standards."

It appears if I purchased a car or trailer I am compelled to use a qualified broker.

Any dissent?
Reace and Tammy have this down to a science. Just let them do their thing. They will generate all the necessary paperwork showing the brokerage/registered importer documents. We received the following documents:

- Bill of Sale showing USD and CAD amounts
- DHS Entry Summary
- ETI Certificate of Origin
- HS-7 Import Declaration
- Imported ID Input Record
- US Customs Invoice

That satisfies the requirement. Honestly, the nominal fee for having ETI export the trailer to the US is a no brainer. You get oriented at ETI, head to Sumas, they export, and meet you on the US side. Hitch up and go. Nothing could be easier.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbawden View Post

Any dissent?
With regard to the label stating the trailer meets US Vehicle safety standards Escape trailers have this label. N56 label on the 5.0 it is located on the drivers side near the front of the trailer. It has your vin number on it. The bottom line of the label states that the trailer meets all US safety requirements. I am no expert but for Escape trailers what you have written would suggest you do not require a broker.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I suppose I could do our taxes myself, but the $275.00 that I pay our accountant is more than worth it to me. The same for ETI handling the export situation. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Especially since ETI will get it done right.
It's not really worth doing something yourself, that has a steep learning curve.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We used FedEx to send a cashier's check to ETI. While it cost $42.00 it was a bit cheaper than wire and arrived the next day. ETI deposited it the same day and we got a great exchange rate. I mailed it on a Monday morning ETI received it on Tuesday and by Wednesday I received our adjusted build sheet. The traceability and speed of FedEx was worth it.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It's not really worth doing something yourself, that has a steep learning curve.
... and that you'll only do once. I agree, for this do-it-yourself it doesn't seem worthwhile. Now, if one were regularly importing trailers, that might be another matter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... and that you'll only do once. I agree, for this do-it-yourself it doesn't seem worthwhile. Now, if one were regularly importing trailers, that might be another matter.
Makes sense to me. Murphy's Law always seems to kick in on a foreign transaction as well. Better to have it hassle free.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Especially since ETI will get it done right.
If you are buying or selling used you are kind of stuck doing it yourself. Fortunately for me I will be getting a tutorial from Tammy next Friday.
Mark
Old 02-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #36

Trailer: 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We used FedEx to send a cashier's check to ETI. While it cost $42.00 it was a bit cheaper than wire and arrived the next day. ETI deposited it the same day and we got a great exchange rate. I mailed it on a Monday morning ETI received it on Tuesday and by Wednesday I received our adjusted build sheet. The traceability and speed of FedEx was worth it.
Had no idea this method was available. Thanks
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #37

Quote:
That's very strange. The stamps don't have to show a denomination to work because I've done it - several times.

I got this from the Postal Service itself:

"Customers can use Forever Stamps for international mail, but since all international prices are higher than domestic prices, customers will need to attach additional postage. The value of the Forever Stamp is the domestic First-Class Mail letter price in effect on the day of use."

I think someone at the Post Office needs to re-read the book.
I'm sure you are right I bet if I had gone to a different post office I would have been told a different story.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 21 pick up on 5/26/15.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I suppose I could do our taxes myself, but the $275.00 that I pay our accountant is more than worth it to me. The same for ETI handling the export situation. Loren
As a practicing CPA, I second that!

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #39
Site Team

FYI all, ETI received our check today for the remaining balance. The conversion rate was 1 USD = 1.2327 CAD.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
FYI all, ETI received our check today for the remaining balance. The conversion rate was 1 USD = 1.2327 CAD.
Methinks you should bring that 0.2327 in saving with you to Osoyoos, and put it into a liquor and poutine fund for all to enjoy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote