Buying at .81 Exchange Rate and importing to US - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Methinks you should bring that 0.2327 in saving with you to Osoyoos, and put it into a liquor and poutine fund for all to enjoy.
Liquor fund I could do Jim. Poutine fund? Not so much.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #42

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
FYI all, ETI received our check today for the remaining balance. The conversion rate was 1 USD = 1.2327 CAD.
That's great!! They should have my check by the 27th it'll be interesting to see what rate I get
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm happy for all that have builds in process and are concerned about the exchange rate, truly! The exchange rate I got wasn't as favorable, but it's ALL good. I love my 5.0TA and each time I step inside... mine, mine... all mine! May you feel as fortunate and make a ton of memories along the way
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We used FedEx to send a cashier's check to ETI. While it cost $42.00 it was a bit cheaper than wire and arrived the next day. ETI deposited it the same day and we got a great exchange rate. I mailed it on a Monday morning ETI received it on Tuesday and by Wednesday I received our adjusted build sheet. The traceability and speed of FedEx was worth it.
I had forgotten that they handle and ship a lot of documents. Thanks for sharing such good information. I think that is what we will do. One less thing to lose sleep over. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Liquor fund I could do Jim. Poutine fund? Not so much.
C'mon, don't just take the fun halfway. Well, at least you chose the best way to go.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #46

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21 "BE NICE"
The language I cited on the US government site is correct on requiring a broker BUT after reading the fine print and checking with the US border folks and my local DMV I've concluded the following: As long as the trailer or vehicle has documentation showing it meets US standards, all you need is a bill of sale for the border inspection. You leave with their stamped inspection form and the local DMV is happy to take your money. We shall see...
dbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #47

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Actually, I licensed our trailer with the un stamped paperwork Tammy send before we took delivery. I'm sure if the license clerk read the fine print I wouldn't have gotten my plates, but it all worked out.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #48

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Actually, I licensed our trailer with the un stamped paperwork Tammy send before we took delivery. I'm sure if the license clerk read the fine print I wouldn't have gotten my plates, but it all worked out.
Paul, I plan on doing the same thing and hope to bring my plates with us when we go north. What about paying sales tax, did they convert CAD to US funds while you waited? Did they go the internet to check the rate? I have the app on my smart phone, I wonder if they accept that? Thanks, Bob
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:51 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
Paul, I plan on doing the same thing and hope to bring my plates with us when we go north. What about paying sales tax, did they convert CAD to US funds while you waited? Did they go the internet to check the rate? I have the app on my smart phone, I wonder if they accept that? Thanks, Bob
When I licensed mine before pick up the sales tax was figured on the total USD actually paid per the paperwork from ETI. I made sure they saw the conversion rate on each payment I made.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:08 PM   #50

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
They basically took my word for the conversion to USD, but it was all noted on the final invoice too. I did have to help them with the kilogram to pound weight conversion too .
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote