Electrical Panel Explained--Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Electrical Panel Explained--Escape 19

Access to the panel involves lying down on the floor and peering into a space with a bit of a jumble of wires, some located behind others. So I'm posting this with the thought that it may save someone trouble shooting or working on the AC side a little bit of time sorting out which wire does what.

Disclaimer: This information may not reflect your situation. My trailer is a 2014 without air conditioning. You can see the yellow wire for it in the photo. Your trailer may be wired differently but probably there are similarities.

I'm not crazy about the converter sharing a circuit breaker with the microwave. I'll either put it on a new breaker or add a switch. I'm not a great fan of an "always on" converter.
Attached Thumbnails
09-11-2014 10-53-09 AM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Ron in BC,
Thank you for sharing your electrical information on 2014 Escape 19'. I have the same trailer and would like to know functions of the two 40 amp fuses for the 12V DC panel on the far right. Reace said that they are for protection of convertor. My question is that why 2 fuses instead of one?

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Ron, can you remind me... what make and model power centre is this? Is it the WFCO 8955PEC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
I have the same trailer and would like to know functions of the two 40 amp fuses for the 12V DC panel on the far right. Reace said that they are for protection of convertor. My question is that why 2 fuses instead of one?
If this is the WFCO 8955PEC those are the "reverse polarity" fuses that protect the converter from very high currents resulting from hooking up the wires to the battery the wrong way around. I think they use two fuses in parallel rather than one fuse because that way they can use readily available 40 amp fuses and sockets, rather than a less common 80 amp fuse and holder. I've seen this done on other brands, as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Ron, can you remind me... what make and model power centre is this? Is it the WFCO 8955PEC?
I
Yes, that's it and Tonny, you can thank Brian for answering the question.

Ron
Old 11-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm not crazy about the converter sharing a circuit breaker with the microwave. I'll either put it on a new breaker or add a switch. I'm not a great fan of an "always on" converter.
That makes sense to me. If the converter is to be switched only rarely, then a circuit breaker works for switching. If you use the style of breaker with two breakers in one slot, then you can add a converter circuit plus a spare and still leave a slot for an air conditioner later. This actually makes the wiring in the panel more straightforward, but it looks like you'll run out of separate neutral bar positions for each wire... which may be why the manual says a maximum of five branch circuits.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:55 AM   #6

I'm not a great fan of using circuit breakers as switches so if I put one in for the converter I'd still install a switch.

I have a portable, plug-in a/c so no worries about running out of circuits.

Ron
Old 11-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Brain B-P,
Thank you for explaining the the "reverse polarity" fuses. I appreciated your help.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The NEC now requires that the neutral (white wires) be identified or marked to indicate which circuit/ circuits it is associated with . We used brady wire marker to mark which neutral goes with which hot wire . Makes tracing and troubleshooting much easier.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17a
Strange fan noise.

Don't know if this is the right place for this question. On our 17a, after moving a short distance today, there was a noise from the driver side bench where the electrical panel, hot water tank and surge controller are located. The noise started when we hooked up to the 30 amp receiver. Sounds like a fan, and seems to be from the electrical panel area. Is coming on and off intermittently, and seems to speed up and slow down. We're only running the fridge and led lights on AC power.

We've never noticed this happening before, and wonder this is and what could be causing it.

Any advice or ideas would be helpful.
lyndamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Yup that's a cooling fan in the electrical box, normal.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm not a great fan of using circuit breakers as switches so if I put one in for the converter I'd still install a switch.

I have a portable, plug-in a/c so no worries about running out of circuits.

Ron
Breakers designed and listed for switching duty are labeled SWD.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:15 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndamac View Post
Don't know if this is the right place for this question. On our 17a, after moving a short distance today, there was a noise from the driver side bench where the electrical panel, hot water tank and surge controller are located. The noise started when we hooked up to the 30 amp receiver. Sounds like a fan, and seems to be from the electrical panel area. Is coming on and off intermittently, and seems to speed up and slow down. We're only running the fridge and led lights on AC power.

We've never noticed this happening before, and wonder this is and what could be causing it.

Any advice or ideas would be helpful.
There is a fan, maybe 2 (haven't looked), in the converter, they come on when it heats up due to load. Mine go on when I first connect to city power if the batteries are down and the converter is charging them. The fans should go off once the bulk of the charge is done, the time frame would vary according to the charge state of the batteries. The fan is pretty loud as opposed to the contactor in the surge protector, that can hum if it gets dirty or some such.

With solar, my batteries don't get very low so I don't know how long to tell you to expect the fans to run. If they are still running the next day I'd guess you may have a problem. If they are close to full it wouldn't be long at all, like under an hour, at least that's my experience.

If it's still running this morning you might call ETI, you should still be under warranty.

Just in case... On my last trailer after a year or so one of the fans in the converter would not turn off. I had to replace it. It was an Elixer brand, not a WFCO that ETI uses.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Ron, thanks for the picture and information. This is so helpful for me since I know so little about electrical 'stuff'.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote