Help with electrical question ? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Help with electrical question ?

These are Interstate’s recommended settings. Follow these for maximum state of charge and maximum lifespan.Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	32937 Note that you must double the listed voltage values for a dual 6V system.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
These are Interstate’s recommended settings. Follow these for maximum state of charge and maximum lifespan.Attachment 32937 Note that you must double the listed voltage values for a dual 6V system.
Thankyou so much ! Will check all my settings . One more question because my brain will forget for sure . What should I set the equalization days to ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm confused, I thought one would use the 12v portion of the above chart, not the 6 volt, since they are wired in series.....
Old 07-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm confused, I thought one would use the 12v portion of the above chart, not the 6 volt, since they are wired in series.....

You are correct. Notice that the 12V voltage numbers are exactly double the 6V numbers (with the obvious omission of the 2 hour time).

Two 6 volt batteries in series are a single 12 volt battery. Except when it comes time to lift them.

--
Alan
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A word of warning... I don't know where the batteries are in a 19, but when I equalize at 15.6v it is common for my propane/LP detector to go off. Batteries are under the bench in the U dinette.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
You are correct. Notice that the 12V voltage numbers are exactly double the 6V numbers (with the obvious omission of the 2 hour time).

Two 6 volt batteries in series are a single 12 volt battery. Except when it comes time to lift them.

--
Alan
If you double the 6 volt chart you will get the same numbers as the 12 volt chart ,I guess with the work done for you . Pat
Old 07-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
A word of warning... I don't know where the batteries are in a 19, but when I equalize at 15.6v it is common for my propane/LP detector to go off. Batteries are under the bench in the U dinette.
Lucky for us outside in the front box . Pat
Old 07-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
A question and then an observation. I like reading of the Victron solar controller in your installation and you have the voltages for equalization programmed correctly. My question would be: "How do you know the Victron successfully applied the 15.6 volts for two hours?" Are there indicator lights, a log, a screen display to assure that it was accomplished? As Bob pointed out in his post it can take a very long part of the day to accomplish the equalization. I have never been successful. An occasional cloud, trees, low wattage panels, location in the country can spoil the process.

If you are confident that you been successful, your job is done. On four year old batteries I would only want an equalization to freshen things. I would not schedule another equalization unless you are finding some issues or frequently drop below 50% .

A better effort would be to be sure that your Victron is set to the proper absorption rate of 15.3 volts.

For your reading I would suggest looking at a study I did some years back, Is Your Battery Really Charged?

Having your batteries on the tongue is very helpful. Jim is correct, in that the amount of off gassing will drive your propane detector bonkers, you will quickly follow. On the 21 it is a serious issue and no one has found a fix, short of disconnecting the propane detector when on solar. I have installed a switch, with an indicator light, to turn off the detector while charging solar.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
A question and then an observation. I like reading of the Victron solar controller in your installation and you have the voltages for equalization programmed correctly. My question would be: "How do you know the Victron successfully applied the 15.6 volts for two hours?" Are there indicator lights, a log, a screen display to assure that it was accomplished? As Bob pointed out in his post it can take a very long part of the day to accomplish the equalization. I have never been successful. An occasional cloud, trees, low wattage panels, location in the country can spoil the process.

If you are confident that you been successful, your job is done. On four year old batteries I would only want an equalization to freshen things. I would not schedule another equalization unless you are finding some issues or frequently drop below 50% .

A better effort would be to be sure that your Victron is set to the proper absorption rate of 15.3 volts.

For your reading I would suggest looking at a study I did some years back, Is Your Battery Really Charged?

Having your batteries on the tongue is very helpful. Jim is correct, in that the amount of off gassing will drive your propane detector bonkers, you will quickly follow. On the 21 it is a serious issue and no one has found a fix, short of disconnecting the propane detector when on solar. I have installed a switch, with an indicator light, to turn off the detector while charging solar.
I am not the brightest when it comes to electrical, but I trust we installed a good system . I have installed on the I-pad and now smart phone their Victron connect app . I can watch things from there , change settings ,and in the trailer we installed a Victron battery monitor . Both the charger and battery monitor work from a blue tooth dongle . There are more expensive controllers , accessories etc. in the Victron line , but for our little system this should be good enough . If you go to their website or AM solar website you can see a lot of what they sell.
As for the sun here in California we get a lot and seem to be getting more .
On the Victron app I see a history of every day and the charging and what's going on . It is very cool . So I think we am Ok ,
There is so much to learn . It took me over 4 years to do our solar and I still don't understand or know all of it but I am trying . Pat