Help with electrical question ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Help with electrical question ?

We have solar installed and do have a switch to cut solar power off and the solar going to battery 2 switches
I want to desulfate the batteries and hooked up a stand alone battery charger that is using 120
If we are hooked up to charger or the house charger converter , do we shut down the solar charging ?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19 “Lilly”
I don’t see any reason to shut solar off to perform this task using an exterior charger, but neither would it hurt to do so. But I must ask, why not use your solar system to desulfate/equalize? Maybe you have a PWM controller that isn’t up to the task?

Old 07-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I don’t see any reason to shut solar off to perform this task using an exterior charger, but neither would it hurt to do so. But I must ask, why not use your solar system to desulfate/equalize? Maybe you have a PWM controller that isn’t up to the task?
The controller is a MMPT . I know it equalizes but not sure if it desulfates ? Today when I hooked up to the battery tender 128CEC1 with solar connected to battery it was charging real fast . The external charger works a lot better then the trailer 3 stage charger . The solar has the batteries charged and most of the time are in float . But I know the desulfate is important particular our batteries 6 volt are now 5 years old . Pat
Old 07-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

Equalization is desulfation. Same thing

Can you force your MPPT into equalization mode, or does it do it automatically on its own? Either way, if it does an equalization every month or so you have it covered. I think Interstate recommends every 30 to 45 days or somesuch.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Equalization is desulfation. Same thing

Can you force your MPPT into equalization mode, or does it do it automatically on its own? Either way, if it does an equalization every month or so you have it covered. I think Interstate recommends every 30 to 45 days or somesuch.
When I have checked I see it goes into equalization I think once a month automatically. So It sounds like just let the Solar do it's job . I am new at this so I wasn't sure . The batteries are 5 years now so I am trying to get all the life out of them I can and want to do the right thing . I found I should check the water more , I had to add a bit today, which was more then I usually had to add but I was more on top of that before the solar .
I do also have settings I think I can change if I need to do the equalization more , but I did see that it did . The solar charger is a Victron . Pat
Old 07-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #6

To get maximum life out of your batteries, which means both longest working life as well as maximum usable amps at any given time (batteries fully charged instead of only partially), I recommend following your battery manufacturer’s recommendations as closely as possible. Most people are unable to do this, however, unless they upgrade to an MPPT Charger, because neither the WFCO converter/charger, nor the factory GoPower PWM solar charger can achieve the voltages that Interstate recommends. So you are in luck. With a little bit of programming for the right voltages you will be doing everything you can for max power and max life. Well, even one step better is if your Victron can be outfitted with a temperature probe to do temperature compensation, as the voltage requirements change with the batteries’ temperature.

For the current batteries Escape is installing, Interstate recommends 13.2V float, 14.8V absorption, and 15.6V equalization. If your batteries are 5 years old, they are probably a slightly different model, so your voltages may be a bit different.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
To get maximum life out of your batteries, which means both longest working life as well as maximum usable amps at any given time (batteries fully charged instead of only partially), I recommend following your battery manufacturer’s recommendations as closely as possible. Most people are unable to do this, however, unless they upgrade to an MPPT Charger, because neither the WFCO converter/charger, nor the factory GoPower PWM solar charger can achieve the voltages that Interstate recommends. So you are in luck. With a little bit of programming for the right voltages you will be doing everything you can for max power and max life. Well, even one step better is if your Victron can be outfitted with a temperature probe to do temperature compensation, as the voltage requirements change with the batteries’ temperature.

For the current batteries Escape is installing, Interstate recommends 13.2V float, 14.8V absorption, and 15.6V equalization. If your batteries are 5 years old, they are probably a slightly different model, so your voltages may be a bit different.
I did see on the Victron website about a new temp probe I may be able to use .the battery tender I have does have that temp probe on it . So I just let the Solar do it's work . One more question leave solar charging if I am hooked up to 120 at home to start refrigerator ? Also campground connected to power pole ? Pat
Old 07-22-2018, 12:02 AM   #8

I’m not aware of any reason to turn off solar under normal operating conditions, including while hooked up to shore power, either at home or on the road, though during certain maintenance or repair tasks you would want to shut it off. Perhaps some of our smarter electrical gurus have deeper thoughts on this.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:01 AM   #9

Quote:
I’m not aware of any reason to turn off solar under normal operating conditions, including while hooked up to shore power, either at home or on the road, though during certain maintenance or repair tasks you would want to shut it off. Perhaps some of our smarter electrical gurus have deeper thoughts on this.
Thankyou for your help today ! Solar it is ! Pat
Old 07-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Pat we have never turned our solar off even when plugged in for extended periods of time.
We also have the solar controller set to manual equalization which I will do on a good sunny day as I could see no point in having it programmed and going off on a day that’s cloudy or your in a heavily treed campsite.