Orientation - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #41

Trailer: 2004 Chinook Concourse (Molded fiberglass!)
Amazing how different the process can be from one place to another. We have had slightly different experiences depending on who the agent was at the same office.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I've now registered two Escape trailers in California. When I did the 17 it was at a small DMV in Northern California, and the whole process took 20 minutes maximum, with me leaving with the plates. When I registered the 19 here in Santa Cruz County it was an absolute dose of hell. They had to photocopy every single document and send them off to Sacramento for verification. I got a temporary permit, and the plates came in the mail about a month later. And, I had to explain, and explain again, the conversion from Canadian dollars to US dollars. My advice Californians is to make copies of everything in advance, and have a perfectly clear receipt showing US equivalent of purchase price. And, go to a small town DMV.
Glad we took your advice posted previously; we stopped in Alturas coming back on Hwy 395. A supervisor from Redding was subbing that day last September and while she noted that an import document was a photocopy she knew that it probably didn't matter to Sacramento and completed the transaction. AAA used to do this ahead of time but abandoned processing any imported trailers a few years ago.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Casita SD (Sold) 2017 21' Escape on Jan. 16th
Great thread for new Escape owners!

Rossue,

Thanks for this post, and thanks to everyone else for their input. It provided some very interesting reading. We went through the orientation process when we picked up our Casita in Rice, Tx in 2014. I have learned a lot since that day and hope that we will have a shorter learning curve when we pick up our Escape, but...

Checking the torque on the lug nuts is something I will have to include on my list of things to do.

Definitely check for power on my 12V drops and other electrical connections.

It is probably time to find how the license plate process works in Texas.

Oh hell, I am printing the checklist today!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #44

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I just went over the orientation list that was posted here as a pdf file. I'm wondering how many of those things ETI actually lets you check.

Do they hook the trailer up to power so you can test all the outlets?

Are you able to turn on all appliances to test them?

How about the water? I seriously doubt I'll be able to fill the tanks to check for everything that list suggests. But will there be enough water to check that the pump (and faucets) works?

Will I be able to turn on the stove to verify propane is getting to it?

One thing I did add was to check for swirls in the waxed finish. I've had reports from more than one new owner of swirls in the finish, which implies someone didn't go a very good job of waxing.

What about getting under the trailer to check what was suggested? I also want to verify the heat tape has been properly installed and there aren't any gaps on the pipes. Do we need to bring one of those scooter boards (or whatever they're called for getting underneath) or will they have one we can use?

The list suggests checking the propane and carbon monoxide alarms - is this really done? Or are they just assumed to work since they're new?

Thanks! Yeah, this is all new to me. Yes, I'll watch the orientation video on the site, but I will be bringing a check list with me and I was wondering what was reasonable to expect to get done within the 2 hours they'll allow me.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Rossue,

Thanks for this post, and thanks to everyone else for their input. It provided some very interesting reading. We went through the orientation process when we picked up our Casita in Rice, Tx in 2014. I have learned a lot since that day and hope that we will have a shorter learning curve when we pick up our Escape, but...

Checking the torque on the lug nuts is something I will have to include on my list of things to do.

Definitely check for power on my 12V drops and other electrical connections.

It is probably time to find how the license plate process works in Texas.

Oh hell, I am printing the checklist today!
i have to go back and read this thread, to make my own long checklist

i would not have thought to check for power at the 12v drops....... for one...

Losangeles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I am not aware that they wax the trailer. Hope not!

Someone else can comment as we did not get 12v drops but I thought that they purposely do not have power to them?

No, two hours is not enough to check everything. We checked a number of items at a nearby campground.

We did run water and stove and insisted that they get the furnace working. Have to know how to work that and it can get messed up if the wrong thing is pushed or too quickly. A tech had to come and fix ours. Worked after that. Also need to see how the refrigerator works.

I can only suggest that you work such items yourself after they show you how or you won't have a clue later.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I just went over the orientation list that was posted here as a pdf file. I'm wondering how many of those things ETI actually lets you check.

Do they hook the trailer up to power so you can test all the outlets?

Are you able to turn on all appliances to test them?

How about the water? I seriously doubt I'll be able to fill the tanks to check for everything that list suggests. But will there be enough water to check that the pump (and faucets) works?

Will I be able to turn on the stove to verify propane is getting to it?

One thing I did add was to check for swirls in the waxed finish. I've had reports from more than one new owner of swirls in the finish, which implies someone didn't go a very good job of waxing.

What about getting under the trailer to check what was suggested? I also want to verify the heat tape has been properly installed and there aren't any gaps on the pipes. Do we need to bring one of those scooter boards (or whatever they're called for getting underneath) or will they have one we can use?

The list suggests checking the propane and carbon monoxide alarms - is this really done? Or are they just assumed to work since they're new?

Thanks! Yeah, this is all new to me. Yes, I'll watch the orientation video on the site, but I will be bringing a check list with me and I was wondering what was reasonable to expect to get done within the 2 hours they'll allow me.
Good luck !Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 19' #2
They do not wax the trailer. I asked if they would so I would not have to do it and was told they do not offer that service.

Any swirls will go away when you wax it or have it waxed.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #49

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
They do not wax the trailer. I asked if they would so I would not have to do it and was told they do not offer that service.

Any swirls will go away when you wax it or have it waxed.
Ah, so that's part of the molding process then? Good to know as I was rather concerned about that. Thanks for this info.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We just checked the major items and shell integrity then went to KOA in Lynden for 3 days where we really did thorough look. Things like the thermostat being set for Celsius and how to set it correctly to what is normal.

Greg A is online now   Reply With Quote