Orientation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Orientation

For all you new owners-to-be, a few tips for your Orientation.
It's been a long time coming and now finally it's here. Awesome

You're going to arrive at ETI and there is going to be preliminary paperwork, mainly paying the balance off on your purchase and an opportunity to buy any additional items displayed. Then, Rhonda or someone else is going to take you back for your first look at your new trailer. It is similar to going to the doctor as in you can get the standard eval or you can go prepared and ask a lot of questions. It's up to you. Once your done inside the trailer you go back into the office for final paperwork, which is being handed the yellow file folder with all your paperwork. The trailer is probably now on its way to Bob's Burgers in Sumas, WA.

What I would advise after the first five minutes of OMG! is to methodically go through the whole trailer and inspect all finishes and upholstery and then operate all plumbing fixtures and appliances. Many of you are not going to even have a license plate until you return home so going back into Canada if you've discovered a problem the first night is not going to be a good thing.

I would look under the bottom of the trailer and on top as well. Also check to see that a sewer hose is inside its compartment-no fun to find that out at the dump station

When you do go back into the office for final paperwork inspect the documents and make sure that the import document is an original not a photocopy as that may cause problems back home with your DMV.

Read the manual. Repeat-read the manual within the first two days. For one thing you should do a brake adjustment after 200 miles. Secondly, you need to re-torque your wheel lugs after 500 miles-this is critical.

Then- hooray!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Good advice, especially considering the many forum members who are picking up soon -- including me!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #3

Trailer: No RV for now.
great advice! WA State residents can get a 3 day trip permit which is then taped to the back window of the trailer at pick up. I also plan to take a few photos during orientation; when we had a WDH, I took lots of photos as Reace hooked our vehicle on. It definitely helped the first few times we hooked up after that. Since doing the awning will be my job this time around, I plan on taking photos as that is demonstrated also!
Happy trails ahead!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
great advice! WA State residents can get a 3 day trip permit which is then taped to the back window of the trailer at pick up. I also plan to take a few photos during orientation; when we had a WDH, I took lots of photos as Reace hooked our vehicle on. It definitely helped the first few times we hooked up after that. Since doing the awning will be my job this time around, I plan on taking photos as that is demonstrated also!
Happy trails ahead!
Linda, I was able to get my licence plate before going to Chilliwack but it could not be put on until Sumas, (the export thing). Manfred put it on for me while I was hooking up.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:19 PM   #5

Wheel Nut Torque

This is from the Escape Manual:

Notice #1 about checking the torque before each trip.

Wheel Nut Torque
The axle and wheel assemblies of your RV are designed differently than those on your car. The overall
size, weight and center of gravity of a recreational vehicle subject the wheels to pressures unique to
trailering. During normal cornering, the tires and wheels experience a considerable amount of stress
called “side-load”. Therefore, the lug nuts on your recreational vehicle require periodic re-torquing.
These instructions will show you how to maintain proper lug nut torque by following these important steps
1. Check torque before every trip
2. Use proper tools
3. Follow the appropriate star pattern sequence.
4. Torque lug nuts in the correct stages and follow-up intervals after any wheel reinstallation. See the
following chart.
TORQUE SEQUENCE
(STEEL & ALUMINUM WHEELS)
1st Stage 2nd Stage 3rd Stage
(ft-lb) (ft-lb) (ft-lb)
20-25 50-60 95-115
*Re-torque after first:
10 miles --> 25 miles --> 50 miles
Remember, torque is the amount of rotating force applied to a fastener, such as a lug nut. Proper torque
of lug nuts can only be achieved by using a torque wrench and a socket.
• 13/16” socket
2012 4Runner
Old 02-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #6

Trailer: No RV for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Linda, I was able to get my licence plate before going to Chilliwack but it could not be put on until Sumas, (the export thing). Manfred put it on for me while I was hooking up.
That's great; we will try to do that!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
This is from the Escape Manual:

Notice #1 about checking the torque before each trip.

Wheel Nut Torque
The axle and wheel assemblies of your RV are designed differently than those on your car. The overall
size, weight and center of gravity of a recreational vehicle subject the wheels to pressures unique to
trailering. During normal cornering, the tires and wheels experience a considerable amount of stress
called “side-load”. Therefore, the lug nuts on your recreational vehicle require periodic re-torquing.
These instructions will show you how to maintain proper lug nut torque by following these important steps
1. Check torque before every trip
2. Use proper tools
3. Follow the appropriate star pattern sequence.
4. Torque lug nuts in the correct stages and follow-up intervals after any wheel reinstallation. See the
following chart.
TORQUE SEQUENCE
(STEEL & ALUMINUM WHEELS)
1st Stage 2nd Stage 3rd Stage
(ft-lb) (ft-lb) (ft-lb)
20-25 50-60 95-115
*Re-torque after first:
10 miles --> 25 miles --> 50 miles
Remember, torque is the amount of rotating force applied to a fastener, such as a lug nut. Proper torque
of lug nuts can only be achieved by using a torque wrench and a socket.
• 13/16” socket
So are they saying to torque them to like 25 the first time, 50 the second and 100 the third --at 10, 25 and 50 miles respectively?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
So are they saying to torque them to like 25 the first time, 50 the second and 100 the third --at 10, 25 and 50 miles respectively?
They're saying when torqued the first time it's done in stages and in the star fashion until you reach the 95-115 ft-lbs, which is done at ETI, after that just check and make sure they're at 95-115 ft-lbs. Checking them at the first 10, 25 and 50 miles is new to me, (and I didn't do it ). I'd read elsewhere to check them after the first 150-200 miles.
2012 4Runner
Old 02-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

You're going to arrive at ETI and there is going to be preliminary paperwork, mainly paying the balance off on your purchase and an opportunity to buy any additional items displayed. Then, Rhonda or someone else is going to take you back for your first look at your new trailer. It is similar to going to the doctor as in you can get the standard eval or you can go prepared and ask a lot of questions. It's up to you. Once your done inside the trailer you go back into the office for final paperwork, which is being handed the yellow file folder with all your paperwork. The trailer is probably now on its way to Bob's Burgers in Sumas, WA.

What I would advise after the first five minutes of OMG! is to methodically go through the whole trailer and inspect all finishes and upholstery and then operate all plumbing fixtures and appliances. Many of you are not going to even have a license plate until you return home so going back into Canada if you've discovered a problem the first night is not going to be a good thing.

I would look under the bottom of the trailer and on top as well. Also check to see that a sewer hose is inside its compartment-no fun to find that out at the dump station

When you do go back into the office for final paperwork inspect the documents and make sure that the import document is an original not a photocopy as that may cause problems back home with your DMV.

Read the manual. Repeat-read the manual within the first two days. For one thing you should do a brake adjustment after 200 miles. Secondly, you need to re-torque your wheel lugs after 500 miles-this is critical.

Then- hooray!
After having gone through the orientation as brand new RV'ers and then traveling with the trailer for 9 weeks, my wife and I discussed how the orientation could be improved. Rather than just going through all the items on the trailer one by one, it would be good to go though them as if you just arrived at the campsite. Do one run through for hook ups and one for boondocking. Then the reverse when you would be leaving. We were fortunate to get 49 nights of travel in our first trip to cement most of the habits needed. Seeing all the items one by one was just overwhelming to me and my wife. Just a thought!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
After having gone through the orientation as brand new RV'ers and then traveling with the trailer for 9 weeks, my wife and I discussed how the orientation could be improved. Rather than just going through all the items on the trailer one by one, it would be good to go though them as if you just arrived at the campsite. Do one run through for hook ups and one for boondocking. Then the reverse when you would be leaving. We were fortunate to get 49 nights of travel in our first trip to cement most of the habits needed. Seeing all the items one by one was just overwhelming to me and my wife. Just a thought!
Yeah, I'm gonna be taking notes and looking like a total Noob Kevin. That's OK. I am.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Odds are that if done correctly the first time you will be checking at the 95#-115# torque only at the subsequent intervals. If you are using an anti seize compound on the threads touque to the lower limit.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I totally agree, having never owned a RV the orientation was overwhelming. We both felt the orientation could have been better. However, I do agree with Rossue's point about being prepared and ask a lot of questions, we could have been better on both points. I think more emphasizes is needed on safety especially hitching and unhitching. One morning on the way home we made a serious mistake while connecting the trailer. I didn't think it was possible for the locking rod on a 5th wheel hitch to lock into place if the trailer is not properly connected, but sadly its possible. Fortunately, I discovered our mistake before we set out. According to the hitch manual, the trailer could have separated while going down the road had I not discovered my mistake. Also, in my opinion, the manual is too general and could be more specific to each model. Aside from these concerns, very happy with my Escape purchase!!
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think it would take a full day to cover everything in depth, and you'd still not remember parts of it.
At our orientation, I tried shooting video, but found I wasn't really paying attention. Too busy trying to shoot good video.
Gave up shooting and paid attention.
Went back a couple weeks later and Tammy and I shot orientation video. It's now six years old and some things have changed. I still have to refer to it myself from time to time.

RV Travel TV » Escape Training Video
Old 02-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #14

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

Then- hooray!
Great advice
thanks
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yes, lot's of orientation and info in a short time, even for experienced RV'ers who've owned other units with much of the same equipment. But before I'd be critical of the orientation provided I'd ask "Is it ETIs' responsibility to educate buyers new to RV'ing?" Their responsibility is to provide a roadworthy unit with all systems operable and to demonstrate how the systems operate. The rest comes from experience or education and I don't think that it's reasonable to expect ETI to do much more than they already do.

Note to self: pay more attention to the awning operation next time

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #16

Ron,
Go to the training video. I've had to look at awning operation myself.
If you drag the little disc at the bottom of the pic, you can skip other stuff and find the awning portion. It's just past 16 min.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #17

Trailer: none
It sounds to me like ETI goes above and beyond with their orientation. There's a lot to learn, I'm sure, and most of it will have to be learned through experience. I don't think one can go from RV newbie to RV guru in a single orientation session. How many other RV manufacturers provide this quality orientation service?

Most people are buying an RV off a dealer lot somewhere. I suspect they are getting minimal indoctrination and what they do get is coming form a sales person that probably doesn't know a whole lot.
singletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Ron,
Go to the training video. I've had to look at awning operation myself.
If you drag the little disc at the bottom of the pic, you can skip other stuff and find the awning portion. It's just past 16 min.
Thanks Glen, we've got it figured out now but it was the one item that had us confused the first time we went to use it. It was fully covered in the orientation but..... It's also the one item that I said I'd never have on an RV, wouldn't be without one now.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #19

The other part of the video that I use to refresh my memory is the part on auto switching propane.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape, 19'
Thank you so much for this....We are prepared to be totally overwhelmed....maybe we should hire a videographer to come with!!
KarenB is offline   Reply With Quote