Trailer storage cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2016, 01:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 19'
Trailer storage cover

We are looking for UV protection for our trailer. It is a 19' Escape with a trailer box on the front, and a spare tire extension on the back. We have an air conditioner, a TV antenna, and 2 solar panels on top. We would like to access the door while it is in place.

If you have experience with a particular brand that is well made, and fits well, we would like to know about it; if you had a bad experience, we would like to know about that too.

A rigid canopy won't work for us because we need to use it in two different locations.

Thank you for your help.
Mary2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Our current plan is to get a cover from this place. But can't provide any feedback on it as of yet:

5th wheel cover, folding camper items in elitemotoronline store on eBay!
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
In particular, this one:

items in Boat PWC ATV camper motorcycle pontoon RV Bimini top t-top cover store on eBay!
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:40 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The best is probably Calmark, each one is custom fit Sunbrella. Most expensive of course, in the $600-700 range. 4-6 weeks wait time.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The best is probably Calmark, each one is custom fit Sunbrella. Most expensive of course, in the $600-700 range. 4-6 weeks wait time.
Another vote for Calmark . We have one also . Really like that material is soft . It is heavy though takes 2 of us to put on . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Another vote for Calmark . We have one also . Really like that material is soft . It is heavy though takes 2 of us to put on . Pat

Have you had any issues with the cover leaving marks on the fiberglass as other have mentioned here? I want to get a cover, but am hesitate due to some of the negatives others have noted here.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #7

Scubba, I had a cheap ill fitting Adco, dust got under or through it, scratched all the rounded corners. Tossed it out last year. Deb doesn't want a carport in the yard so I'm going to try the calmark. I had a decent cover on my last trailer which caused no problem in 8 years, but then they are made to fit square trailers, not round. Hoping the custom fit does the job.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Have you had any issues with the cover leaving marks on the fiberglass as other have mentioned here? I want to get a cover, but am hesitate due to some of the negatives others have noted here.
This is the best cover we ever have had .We have on other RV 's had them all . With other covers yes that happened . They are not as soft . It is the material and the fact it is made to fit for your application . I will in about a month be removing the cover that has been on since last year after a long trip . I had them make a cover for the storage box also which I have removed many times to get to batteries , etc. and saw no damage whatsoever . We have winds here and I did see dirt under storage box cover . I just cleaned off and maybe waxed again . A good waxing of the trailer is very important . We were hesitant to spend the money but it goes back to you get what you pay for . The ideal situation would be under cover shelter . Because we are older and it would be easier I want to look in shade sails next . We have had cover about 2 years now . I love the shade sails . I have a small triangle over the Subaru mainly because of the leather in vehicle . The UV's are bad here . Don't forget your tires also . You can get seperate covers . Hope this helps . Pat
Old 06-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
This is the best cover we ever have had .We have on other RV 's had them all . With other covers yes that happened . They are not as soft . It is the material and the fact it is made to fit for your application . I will in about a month be removing the cover that has been on since last year after a long trip . I had them make a cover for the storage box also which I have removed many times to get to batteries , etc. and saw no damage whatsoever . We have winds here and I did see dirt under storage box cover . I just cleaned off and maybe waxed again . A good waxing of the trailer is very important . We were hesitant to spend the money but it goes back to you get what you pay for . The ideal situation would be under cover shelter . Because we are older and it would be easier I want to look in shade sails next . We have had cover about 2 years now . I love the shade sails . I have a small triangle over the Subaru mainly because of the leather in vehicle . The UV's are bad here . Don't forget your tires also . You can get seperate covers . Hope this helps . Pat
Pat, I would love to hear your report after you remove the cover on your trailer. I agree on the good waxing, also am interested in shade sails. I have to do something. The sun in the Las Vegas desert will destroy almost anything, if giving enough time...thanks for sharing.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Scubba, I had a cheap ill fitting Adco, dust got under or through it, scratched all the rounded corners. Tossed it out last year. Deb doesn't want a carport in the yard so I'm going to try the calmark. I had a decent cover on my last trailer which caused no problem in 8 years, but then they are made to fit square trailers, not round. Hoping the custom fit does the job.
Good info, thanks Bob.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Pat, I would love to hear your report after you remove the cover on your trailer. I agree on the good waxing, also am interested in shade sails. I have to do something. The sun in the Las Vegas desert will destroy almost anything, if giving enough time...thanks for sharing.
No problem Pat
Old 06-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quality is a lot like buying oats. If you want nice, clean oats you must pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well that comes a little cheaper.
In my opinion the CalMark cover is well worth the price.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
Quality is a lot like buying oats. If you want nice, clean oats you must pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well that comes a little cheaper.
In my opinion the CalMark cover is well worth the price.
I totally agree, just want to make sure that having a cover (good quality) will not leave permanent marks on the trailer as some have noted. If its only the cheap ones causing the issues, I'll be happy to spend the extra $$$ for ensuring good protection for my trailer
Old 06-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've had CalMark covers on the last two trailers, and haven't had either of them leave a mark. Dust WILL get underneath, though, so it pays to take them off periodically and wash the trailer. Also, be certain you aren't putting the cover on with something on the roof, such as a leaf, branch, bird poop, or even a dead insect.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
FYI:
Calmark now has the current measurements for the Classic 17. I work 2 miles from them (They're in Oxnard, CA), so I left our 17-(2015 model) there one day. They used a laser-scanner to digitally measure the trailer with all its appendages (awning, A/C, Maxxfan, spare tire, storage box).
I also mentioned to them that ETI has new models coming out, so they're very interested in being able to measure the new ones accurately.
Great Company, great product.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
FYI:
Calmark now has the current measurements for the Classic 17. I work 2 miles from them (They're in Oxnard, CA), so I left our 17-(2015 model) there one day. They used a laser-scanner to digitally measure the trailer with all its appendages (awning, A/C, Maxxfan, spare tire, storage box).
I also mentioned to them that ETI has new models coming out, so they're very interested in being able to measure the new ones accurately.
Great Company, great product.
They came to our home with their laser -scanner to measure our 19. Pat
Old 06-08-2016, 06:00 AM   #17

Quick, someone with a 5.0TA stop in and have it scanned.

Best I could do was do my own measurements and send pictures.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Quick, someone with a 5.0TA stop in and have it scanned.

Best I could do was do my own measurements and send pictures.
I'm thinking of doing just that. I am going to call them and see if I can make an appointment in July. I can't get there until then, and don't want to leave it.

Tags
accessories, uv protection