2011 Escape 5.0 (VIN#345) $28,500cdn - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
The plan

Ok, I guess I will let you all in on a little secret. I'm going to live forever. I plan to accomplish this by not dying. That means I have all of eternity to get my finances arranged and make the buy. This contemplates that ETI will never fold but I think that is a good bet too. You see, it's all in the planning.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Far too many of my friends have passed, some before retirement, I'm no longer living for tomorrow as tomorrow is here today. As the song goes Yesterday's dreams are tomorrow's sorrows. If you have the money, loan it to your bank and get interest and then borrow it back and pay interest, the net cost is minimal over 5 years
Old 12-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The Future will be better tomorrow - Dan Quayle

Yes, he actually said that. No political intent, but what is your future and WHEN are you planning for that to happen?
Old 12-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
I'm going to live forever. I plan to accomplish this by not dying. That means I have all of eternity to get my finances arranged and make the buy. This contemplates that ETI will never fold but I think that is a good bet too. You see, it's all in the planning.

Excellent plan!
Old 12-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I guess the biggest mistake we made in getting the 21 is that we didn't get it sooner. I was going to wait one more year but Cathy said to get on it. And I will always remember the elderly couple that we met coming out of the Casita plant, sadly shaking their heads in that they had waited to long. Loren
Old 12-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
You can't take it with you. Well you can but but what fun is that.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Well, no right or wrong approach here either way it goes. Only way to know for sure is when you look back.
One fact that I can offer being involved in buying and selling molded glass trailers for a long time is that these don't sit around on the market for long. If you want this one you should call tomorrow and make it happen, but even that could be too late. All this talk about maybe buying it could have pushed someone off the fence that was considering it and they've sent the email and left the voice mail for ETI that they'll take it.
No big deal if you decide to wait, but most of us have purchased recently because of the kaflooey exchange rate which can go back to par in the blink of an eye. 25-30% discount for US buyers is here today, but may be gone tomorrow.
Just more stuff to chew on.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Well, no right or wrong approach here either way it goes. Only way to know for sure is when you look back.

No big deal if you decide to wait, but most of us have purchased recently because of the kaflooey exchange rate which can go back to par in the blink of an eye. 25-30% discount for US buyers is here today, but may be gone tomorrow.
Whoever buys this 5.0 can't go wrong! The exchange rate PLUS the fact that Escape trailers keep their value, will make the purchase of this trailer a solid investment.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:26 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Everything I read is pointing to the Canadian dollar getting stronger. The exchange rate was a big factor in us upgrading our trailer.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
I've got a quick question on the subject. The older I get, the more I realize the enjoy today for tomorrow may not be here.

But I am 50. My company of 25 years has a pension plan that I am grandfathered into. I cant retire till 60 without losing a LOT of pension benefits. So with the golden handcuffs on, does one wait 10 more years? or cut them off and enjoy life now at a 50% reduction in benefits for the rest of my life?? The payout curve is much steeper in the end.

I keep waiting for the company to freeze the pension for us that are still grandfathered in, thinking that is the perfect time to escape - but it hasn't happened.

Just curious of your thoughts - and I apologize if I am hijacking - sure don't mean to.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd hang on for 10 years, if you don't hate the job. Don't know if your pension is indexed, but mine is not. Taking into account inflation, I'm getting less income every year. Makes that pension at age 90 seem minuscule.
You can also use those ten years to eliminate debt and save up for your last tow vehicle.
I'd look into a reduced work week or job sharing, if your company is open to that.
Watching TV for the next forty years, because you don't have the income to do anything else, isn't all that appealing.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
They recommend that you not work full time and then retire full time, but you make it a gradual process, cut back in 5 years to maybe 75% or 50%, that way you still accumulate retirement and you will know if you enjoy the time off. Then 5 more and you are done. I did this, for my last years of federal employment, I just did not tell my boss I was doing it.....
Old 12-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #33

Sounds to me to be too early and too much penalty to check out. However, only you can make the decision that is right for you. Not sure if you are SSI eligible as certain jobs like transportation have exemptions from SSI, but you are 16-17 years from full SSI benefit. Also, the big prevention for most of us in the US retiring early is health care. The Health insurance is so poor that we need Medicare to be able to wrap it up. Some have retirement health care benefits from the company, but those benefits get sliced and diced every year and aren't worth much down the road. I'm having to wait till 65 to retire for those very reasons, but it seems to be approaching fast.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #34

I retired early with a sizable incentive ( a buyout ) from the company. In effect, if I continued to work, I'd be working for free since I could take the buyout and have the same "earnings" without going to work.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
That's what I figured u guys would tell me. It's just too much too lose. My pension in the first 25 years is half of at 35 years. Also it is not indexed so no increases. And my health insurance is bad and is not there after retirement. Not sure how to get from 60 to 65 with health insurance. Uuugggg.

The only way we could afford to retire now would be to sell the house and full time rv it. But that sounds SOOO good! We can taste it! My wife is a trooper, she doesn't think about it and keeps plugging away. I dream of retirement daily!

The alarm clock goes off at 5:10am tomorrow.......
Old 12-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscarab View Post
And my health insurance is bad and is not there after retirement. Not sure how to get from 60 to 65 with health insurance. Uuugggg.
Funny how I knew the Healthcare thing. We're all in the same boat for the most part South of the Big Border. I feel your pain! We still have to figure out my better half because she won't be eligible for Medicare for quite some time after I am, but we're hanging it up then anyway and will have to figure it out.
Poor ETI trying to sell this gorgeous 5.0 and it's all about other issues. Maybe the moderators can split the other topics off the ad.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscarab View Post
The only way we could afford to retire now would be to sell the house and full time rv it.
Given that we usually end up coming home from a trip early, that wouldn't work for me. I don't understand the appeal of full-time RVing.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #38

Health care isn't free in BC either ( but probably a lot cheaper ). I pay a premium for basic health and a hefty premium for extended health ( which covers medical, dental and prescriptions ). The extended health cost $190 a month when I retired and went up to $290 a month a year later. Company pays half of the basic health.
All of that was covered in company benefits when I was employed.
I also don't get statutory holidays any more.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
The subject of me buying the trailer has pretty much run its course so a hijack of that is fine with me. On the other hand, this is supposed to be about selling the trailer so......

I also have the same issue with retirement, age and health care. For me it worked out pretty good. Just when I got sick Obama care came along and I had insurance. Now I'm over it and Obama care is on the chopping block. I become eligible for medicare next year and started taking retirement 2 years ago. No pension but I get railroad retirement so I'm ok for now. The reduction for going early was not too sever but if it had been 50% I would have waited.

I can get retirement and still work so for a while that is the plan. That is how I will be able to afford more extras, like an Escape.

Every situation is different but the retirement and health care question hits us all.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
....... I become eligible for medicare next year and started taking retirement 2 years ago. No pension but I get railroad retirement so I'm ok for now. The reduction for going early was not too sever but if it had been 50% I would have waited.,,,,,,,,
Mizterwizard,

I also worked for the railroad (Southern Pacific - Union Pacific) for 32 years until I retired. In about a year and a half will qualify for Medicare. It was a good job and the retirement beats Social Security. We have an Escape 19 on order.

If you are concerned about the bottom line I would keep an eye out and maybe you will get lucky and get a good price from a motivated seller. Good luck in your search.