5th wheel or 19? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 5th wheel
5th wheel or 19?

Hi,
we can't make up or mind:5th wheel or 19 anyone went through that and was happy after all with their choice
Thank you for your help...
fougasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
They are quite different trailers. Layout wise, the only similarity is that the bed is nicely out of the way.

The first thing to consider is the tow vehicle. If you have no need for a pickup, and could make much better use out of interior storage of an SUV, both towing and on a regular basis, then a bumper pull like the 19 wins. If you have a pickup, and are willing to not have a topper (though you can still have a tonneau cover), then you can choose between the two.

The 19 is light enough to get away with most 6 cyl SUVs, whereas the 5.0TA is a fair bit heavier.

When I bought my 19, I had considered a 5.0 single axle, but was not willing to forgo an SUV at that time. I bought one of the very first 19s, and we have enjoyed it immensely.

I really have no desire for the 21, it does not fit our style with the bed front and center, but we do think about the 5.0TA for a few years down the road, when we retire. Then we always think back to what we have with the 19, and without a storage box at that, and find it works great for us, so why change? Only time will tell, maybe pining over a few of them at the rally later this month will "egg" us on to get a 5.0TA.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
to me it is the 5.0 TA vs the 21 or vice versa......
Old 05-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #4

Trailer: No RV for now.
We had a 19, sold it, and got a 5.0TA. We couldn't be happier. We had to get a truck which we happen to like as much as our 4-Runner that we sold, so that is good.
What we like about the 5.0 TA: the bed that is more separate from the living space, the bed is fore and aft and we don't have to crawl over each other, the storage is far better (much more easy to reach places to store pantry items and more room for our clothes), more space and more head room, no more weight distributing hitch and bending over to hook up the trailer, and it fits our needs better.
The 5.0 is slower to respond when backing up into a camping spot, but I think that will get easier with more practice. We have found that the storage area in the front of the 5.0 has more room than we had in our front box on our 19ft. There are no batteries in the way and we are able to access everything more easily in that storage compartment. There is also a long, deep storage area to the right of the door of the trailer and longer items go in there. We have found that it is much easier to access everything overall in our 5.0TA than it was in the 19. I think the interior storage in the 5.0 TA (especially in the kitchen area) is quite similar to the 21ft.
It really is all about personal choice. You just have to look at what your own needs are and which model suits you better.
Good luck figuring it out!
Old 05-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #5

Thank you very much,Linda...your comments are very helpful
Best,
Brigitte
Old 05-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

Thank you very much for your commnets,Jim....very helful for 2 indecised!!!!!
Best
Brigitte
Old 05-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
But Linda, you are on your fifth Escape! Are you sure you have it right this time? What is next? Could be the 21' you really need (batteries under a bench). Or whatever is in the works. Heard any rumors??
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
to me it is the 5.0 TA vs the 21 or vice versa......
I agree. If a 19' would meet your needs, why consider a much bigger trailer? If more space is desirable, why not include the 21'?

If the desire is for a trailer roughly the size of the 19', but in a fifth-wheel configuration (perhaps for better towing behaviour), then a logical alternative is the original 5.0 design (narrower, single axle)... but that's no longer made, so it would have to be used.

Keep in mind that for the trailers named by length, it is the length of the whole trailer with rear bumper and tongue - the body is roughly three feet less. There is a big difference in body length between a 19' and a 5.0TA (or even an original 5.0).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #9

Trailer: No RV for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Are you sure you have it right this time?
I think this is it! Sure hope so, anyway!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
First, the 5.0TA results in a shorter overall length than a 19, or even a 17, because 4+ feet hang over the bed of the truck. Makes it easier to maneuver in crowded areas. But the real joy of a 5th wheel is in the towing. Once you tow a 5th wheel you will find it difficult to go back to a "conventional" trailer. Granted, the TV options are limited (you need a truck), but my F150 is more comfortable on a long trip than my wife's Honda CRV. The only down side is gas mileage, but I accept that as a necessary part of doing what I want to do.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
5th wheel or 19?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Once you tow a 5th wheel you will find it difficult to go back to a "conventional" trailer.

Maybe so, but I gotta tell you -- my 19 tows like a dream behind my F150. And, 26 mpg not towing and 16 towing ain't bad.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
It's about layout to me more than size. For instance, the kitchen counter in the 5.0TA is huge in comparison to the 19'. So, if you like to cook inside, you'd really like the extra space. The 19', while a queen size bed, is still a crawl over. Some folks like that , others really don't. The 5.0TA also has a queen, no crawl over, but there are stairs. Folks with marginal knees, don't care for that. The 19' has a front window (love lots of windows!), the 5.0TA obviously does not. And other differences as well.

I made my decision, now it's your turn. Best of luck.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
Quote:
. The only down side is gas mileage,
For *us* the deal-breaking downside of a fifth wheel trailer would be losing the cargo space in our cargo van. We tow our Escape to have a place to eat/bathe/sleep in whilst dirt and/or mountain biking. The bikes *must* be with us, or chances are we won't be out hauling the trailer....

Obviously, everyone's situation is different, and that is part of why a fifth wheel isn't "best" for everyone.
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRchickie View Post
For *us* the deal-breaking downside of a fifth wheel trailer would be losing the cargo space in our cargo van. We tow our Escape to have a place to eat/bathe/sleep in whilst dirt and/or mountain biking. The bikes *must* be with us, or chances are we won't be out hauling the trailer....

Obviously, everyone's situation is different, and that is part of why a fifth wheel isn't "best" for everyone.
You lost me, granted that's not tough to do. Why can't you bring the bikes if you have a 5th wheel? You put them on the bike rack of the FW then move them to the truck bed when disconnected.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You lost me, granted that's not tough to do. Why can't you bring the bikes if you have a 5th wheel? You put them on the bike rack of the FW then move them to the truck bed when disconnected.
You missed the dirt bike part

Bicycles, yes, you could carry on the back of the trailer. A pair of motorcycles - no!

Our trip to Moab, UT in March we had three motorcycles and two bicycles, along with the piles of associated gear, shoehorned into the back of our van.
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You're right, makes sense now.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Once you tow a 5th wheel you will find it difficult to go back to a "conventional" trailer.
There is no doubt there are some towing advantages to a 5th wheel, but there is absolutely nothing difficult with towing a proper set up bumper pull trailer. I would never hesitate to pull an Escape bumper pull trailer if desired, even if I had pulled the 5.0. Just sayin' this to point out that the 19 pulls like a dream.

Other than parking a few, I have never pulled a 5th wheel RV, but I have driven plenty of tractor/trailer combos with 5th wheel attachment.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse View Post
Hi,
we can't make up or mind:5th wheel or 19 anyone went through that and was happy after all with their choice
Thank you for your help...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Maybe so, but I gotta tell you -- my 19 tows like a dream behind my F150. And, 26 mpg not towing and 16 towing ain't bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRchickie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
There is no doubt there are some towing advantages to a 5th wheel, but there is absolutely nothing difficult with towing a proper set up bumper pull trailer. I would never hesitate to pull an Escape bumper pull trailer if desired, even if I had pulled the 5.0. Just sayin' this to point out that the 19 pulls like a dream.

Other than parking a few, I have never pulled a 5th wheel RV, but I have driven plenty of tractor/trailer combos with 5th wheel attachment.
Sorry, all. I'm hoping I didn't offend anyone. It appears that I may have. My comments were really intended to answer the question posed by the OP, and I was merely trying to state why I have a preference for the 5th Wheel. I have towed bumper mounts and some tow very well, but I find the 5th Wheel more stable, and I also like the fact that I have the space of a 19 or 21 foot trailer, with the towing footprint of a 15. And actually, as far as the gas mileage is concerned, I used to get 28+ mpg towing an Aliner with a Honda Odyssey. Getting 15 mpg doesn't bother me given the added convenience, space, and features of a non pop-up. But I strongly believe in the philosophy of "each to their own."
Old 05-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Sorry, all. I'm hoping I didn't offend anyone.
Gosh Carl, not offended at all. You raise good points for the OP to consider. My only concern was to make sure the OP understood that the 19 is very easy to tow too.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Guess what, Brigette, the folks with a 5.0 like theirs best and the folks with the 19' like theirs best. We did not want the pick-up or the steps of a 5.0 for personal reasons so the 19' suited us. Hoping the 21' will suit us also. The 21' may be the more comparable to the 5.0.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote