Exterior shower - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2016, 12:22 AM   #1

Trailer: escape17b 2016
Exterior shower

We are finalizing our build list and are debating about the outside shower. Any input would be appreciated-
oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you boondock, or if you have a dog ( or kids ), the outside shower is a must. It doesn't cost much extra either, after ordering a 17B with the water heater and bath already paid for.

If you are only going to campgrounds, with hookups, hot showers and close neighbours, it's not likely to be used ( except to rinse off kids and dogs ).

Another Escape owner sets up a folding table next to his and uses it as a dish washing station.

It's an inexpensive and useful option.
Attached Thumbnails
exterior shower.jpg  
Old 01-31-2016, 12:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Can also be used to fill buckets for cleaning, especially if the trailer is not stored at home or you want to fill buckets at a campsite.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:57 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We had one in our previous trailer and never used it so we went without, didn't have a downside to having one other then the minimal cost and remembering to flush it out for the winter. From what I've seen most do get one, can't say how many actually use it though.

Now if I had little kids again, I'd get one.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Had ours installed on the door side toward the rear, but under the awning. We use it primarily for doing the dishes, but also for rinsing sandy feet if we have been in the water. Don't see it as useful for taking showers so much as you still only have 6 gallons of hot water and must take navy showers. Even so, still better than the cramped interior shower and having to wipe everything down if the camping location does not have a bath house (camping in the boonies).
Old 01-31-2016, 07:21 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Carl,
I'm thinking of doing the same, can you post a picture where it was installed? The older models had a big hole for the hose storage but the newer models are sealed and you disconnect the hose, correct?
Old 01-31-2016, 08:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Carl,
I'm thinking of doing the same, can you post a picture where it was installed? The older models had a big hole for the hose storage but the newer models are sealed and you disconnect the hose, correct?
Jim, you are correct about the hose which disconnects, but you will probably want to change the nozzle on the supplied hose. Mine is directly over the rear wheel (essentially behind the stove).
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-31-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I had one on our 19 for the 6 1/2 years we owned it, and it never got used once for a shower, and only a few times to fill buckets or basins, as it was inconvenient for us being on the backside of the trailer, which was often tight to trees.

As we do mostly boondocking, water usage needs to be watched closely, and we prefer in that situation to mostly just sponge bath. If in a campground, they seem to balk at naked people showering outside, and supply showers for our use.

I have said for years now though that I too would prefer one on the door side for a dish wash/cooking station outside, and other utility uses. Not sure I will go with the Escape supplied one, or not, as I would like one that can be used as a faucet in place, but with the capacity to pull out if needed. I have not seen the one Escape uses now up close, but will be checking it out.

Some of the best ones I have found researching are in the European market, like Reich, Whale, and Bullfinch.

Another thought was to put a small kitchen faucet in a hatch.

As long as there is water supply lines nearby in the trailer, one can very easily be added later too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #9

Jim,
In your welcome bag handed out last year at Osoyoos was a flyer from the company that makes the shower, it was there I saw the newer style with 2 faucets and a quick disconnect for the hose, nice set up.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For me it is one of those items to cut if you really need to save the money, but boy is it useful the few times I've needed it. One place I never thought I'd use it was for cleaning up after a dump at a station that had no water.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Jim,
In your welcome bag handed out last year at Osoyoos was a flyer from the company that makes the shower, it was there I saw the newer style with 2 faucets and a quick disconnect for the hose, nice set up.
I never actually read any of that stuff.

I have seen pictures, and it does look good. Is there a way that the spout can be attached to use hands free, without having some kind of additional holder mounted to the trailer. What I am looking for, for the front side, is something that functions like a regular set of taps. Having the spout being able to pull out would be a bonus too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have the outside shower .We use it for dish washing , rinsing off the dog , grandkids and dirty feet. We also have used it as a shower
when primative camping. We remove and drain the shower hose during winter . It is well worth the slight additional cost in our estimation. You have the same amount of usable hot water whether you use the inside or the outside shower so it is a non issue
in my book.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I had to have the shower on the door side, under the awning, I wouldn't have it at all. I don't want to be tracking mud in that area.
We mostly use it to wash our hair ( sponge doesn't work for us, Jim ) and stand on a all-weather mat from the RAV to keep from splashing muck.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:55 AM   #14

I have seen pictures, and it does look good. Is there a way that the spout can be attached to use hands free, without having some kind of additional holder mounted to the trailer. What I am looking for, for the front side, is something that functions like a regular set of taps.

Jim, not sure it will work with beer, but good idea...
Old 01-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #15

On the front side, we would only use it into a basin or pot, not going onto the ground. Even if it does hit the ground, we have always had a large 12x7 mat there that water drains through.

Yeah, I am lucky on the hair washing thing, but everyone has the same option of shaving there head to accommodate easy washing. When we wash Lisa's hair mass, she wets it, shampoos it, then I slowly pour a couple litres of warm water over it while she rinses. She has used the shower inside a couple times too.

We are always traipsing inside to get hot water to wash up dishes (or ourselves) outside. Having a faucet handier sure would be nice.

I am kinda liking the idea of keeping it to the rear of the trailer on the door side, because if you want you could go behind the trailer to use it on things like dog feet if desired.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Jim, not sure it will work with beer, but good idea...
Oooo.... I like where you are going with this. Great idea for a custom mod, a storage spot for a keg, and a tap to draw a pint in the shade of the awning.... nice.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If you boondock at all, you should get it. Showering doesn't go in your tank and have to be dumped. If you are a runner or like to do hikes of somewhat strenuous nature you should get it. As previously mentioned if you have dogs, kids, or dump tanks occasionally you should get it. None of the above, don't get it.
Oh and one more, in AZ you can't dump grey on BLM if it includes dishwashing water, but if you do dishes in a tub outside you can dump the dish water on the ground and then dump your grey tank cause you didn't do dishes in it. Go figure, but a big case for outside faucet.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:00 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We have it but haven't used it yet like some of the other options on our trailer. But it's there if we need it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Oooo.... I like where you are going with this. Great idea for a custom mod, a storage spot for a keg, and a tap to draw a pint in the shade of the awning.... nice.
Something like this, with your beer wench...or wenches
Attached Thumbnails
STPADDYS.jpg.w560h320.jpg  
Old 01-31-2016, 11:05 AM   #20

What is the make of the exterior shower Escape now uses? I see on the 5.0 option page they show the old one.