Please be honest - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Escape RVs for Sale
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 motorhome
Cool Please be honest

I have driven from Edmonton 3 times in the last month to look at trailers on the island and in Vancouver which were supposed to be pristine and like new.Please tell people the truth if you expect them to drive all that way and at that expense.Should anyone have a clean non smoking 17B in nice shape please contact me as I will drive out to buy it. We are not that picky we just don't want the expense and the drive to get there and find out what we were told is not the truth. Thanks to all for this incredible forum

halloree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
There are definitely sellers out there who have no qualms about deliberately misrepresenting the condition of an item that is being sold. I don't really see the value in that, since whoever will go out to look at an item should see for themselves that they have been mislead, and for me, that would be an immediate deal breaker.

Most sellers are not trying to misrepresent the product they are selling. One of the major problems is that condition of an item is often quite difficult to describe in a truly objective manner. Seller often has a personal attachment of some sort that may tend to skew their perceptions of what the condition actually is. Buyer may have a totally different view of what "good" condition actually means.

It really is up to the purchaser to ask sufficiently detailed questions and to obtain sufficient pictures to obtain an accurate representation of the goods they are wanting to purchase. Someone who may be traveling many miles to look at a trailer is taking on some risk that the condition of the item may be different from what they expected. One solution may be to have someone local view the item and give you a third party opinion of condition before you yourself drive many hours to see something that you will be disappointed in. If at the end of the day, you find yourself continually disappointed by the used trailer market, maybe you have to purchase something new.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
T

It really is up to the purchaser to ask sufficiently detailed questions and to obtain sufficient pictures to obtain an accurate representation of the goods they are wanting to purchase. Someone who may be traveling many miles to look at a trailer is taking on some risk that the condition of the item may be different from what they expected..
Couldn't agree more. A friend just flew to to St. Martin at considerable expense to see a boat that he'd put down a deposit on. He had seen several photos but they didn't show the ugly stuff. Answers to previous questions had been sketchy. So, at the risk of seeming to be pushy the only thing one can do is ask for more photos and ask more questions if there's any doubt about condition of items.

On the other hand we bought our Scamp in Portland, sight unseen and it was exactly as described. Well, not exactly, there was the brand new, uninstalled, a/c that came with it that hadn't been in the ad. All in all, it's always a bit of a crapshoot.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Halloree. I agree with Ron, it's a crap shoot out there looking for used. My beloved spent some time and expense converting cdn $ into US $ trying to do a quick deal in the US only to discover that the Escape trailer she drove down to see had not. been maintained.

On the other hand, we recently saw a nice example of a well maintiained Escape in our area and when it comes up for sale it will be perfect for someone. We just wanted our own options so decided to stay with buying new.

My advice would be to ask detailed questions about how the unit was maintained and ask for lots of pictures. But the pressure seems to be that good fiberglass trailers don't come up all that often and you have to be ready to deal.

Like the fairy tale: you may save to kiss a few toads before you find your prince/ess... There are ugly step-mothers out there to watch out for. But, unless you want to pay for new get ready to pucker up and kiss a few toads. Good luck in your quest!
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0
Smokers don't know they make their cars and trailers stink and stain the headliners and upholstery. I never knew it until I quit years ago. You lose your sense of smell and taste over time. They may be unaware of this, so it is the first question you should ask.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape
I drove 1600 miles one way to buy my trailer. I had never been in an Escape trailer. The owner said, in effect, that he knew I wasn't driving that far just to kick the tires, and that I needed to know exactly what the condition was. I ended up with a good vacation and a good trailer. Thanks to an honest owner.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm one of those "people" that's getting ready to sell an old, used trailer. I hope my attachment to this trailer doesn't spill over to "it's perfect, wonderful and you'll love it!" stage. I have a certain online reputation to maintain.

But, it really is great!

Still... it's about asking the questions that aren't answered in the original ad and your ability to be "flexible."

Good luck on your hunt!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 17B
Buying and selling used items is so challenging since people perceive conditions so differently. I would not say someone is not being honest it is just that each person has a different standard.

Sounds like you just need to order a new trailer or be willing to accept flaws and put money into any trailer you buy. Pictures can never capture every nit picky detail on an item.
smilycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Or wait for the one-owner trailer that for personal reasons needed to sell AND it is like new and never smoked in. Our 3 year old was even garaged! We figured we saved about $4K over the demo at ETI and it saved us time going there and back to CA. Keep looking, and stay picky.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
One solution may be to have someone local view the item and give you a third party opinion of condition before you yourself drive many hours to see something that you will be disappointed in.
I think this is an excellent idea, and I know that this sort of thing has been arranged through other forums... why not this one? There are certainly knowledgeable Escape Forum members in the area of these advertised trailers; I can't speak for them, but I wouldn't be surprised if one were willing to check out serious possibilities.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote