Used Buyers be Aware - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Itasca
Used Buyers be Aware

For all you buyer's considering buying a late model trailer (2013 or newer) please be aware, that with the exchange rate where it currently is at $1.25 CDN for $1.00 US , a new $37,000 Escape (which is almost every option) will only cost $29,600 US.

Escapes' 2 year warrantee is not transferable nor is any of the warranties on the appliances.

So if you're looking at spending $29,000 (or close) on a used trailer and you can wait you might want to consider buying new!

Used 2013 Escape 19 - $29,000 USD - $36,250 CDN
Used 2014 Escape 5.0 TA - $29,500 USD - $36,875 CDN
Used 2012 Escape 5.0 - $25,000 USD FIRM - $31,250 CDN (non Tandom Axle)

I bought a NEW Escape 5.0 TA since sellers don't seem to understand this.

FYI, I am in no way affiliated with Escape Trailers Industries. Just trying to help you fellow buyers get a fair deal!
Planned_Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So really you mean "Used Buyers Beware"........., Harold, welcome to our Escape world, you may want to update your avatar and tell us something about yourself. By the way, there will be atleast 6 Escapes at the Townsend Tennessee Rally in April discussed here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...15-a-4899.html
stop in and take a look, first hand.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 17b
Right now, as of this morning, the loonie is at .80, which means for a $20,000 trailer from Escape, you would pay 80%, or $16,000 in USD. I'm wondering if buyers/sellers of used trailers are converting the prices, as I'm seeing trailers advertised w/o telling if the price is in CAD or USD, and 20% is a big diff.

On a 20k trailer (CAD), a one cent drop in the loonie means a $200 savings for a USD buyer. Those with Escape trailers in the US who want to sell are now going to have to compete with the fact that a buyer can get a trailer for 20% off if they're willing to wait awhile for it to be built (assuming they pay in cash now and don't wait, as the loonie's value will change). I can see this hurting US sellers who are used to seeing their trailers hold their value. Of course, a lot of people want them now and are willing to pay asking price, but I think price negotiations will become a bit trickier.

The loonie is predicted to fall even more (some are saying as low as .71), but if I were buying a trailer from Escape, I think I would pay it in full now (I'm not a gambler). It was down to .79 yesterday and seems to track with the price of oil.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Should we really be trying to thwart the attempts of our members to sell their trailers for what they can? Doesn't seem right to me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We had the same thought . A new 2015 19ft Escape with $7500 worth of options ( Total $33,000 CND ) is only $26,070 USD at today's listed exchange rate. The price new is considerably less than the price used .If one is willing to wait the build time now is a great time to buy .. I believe many of the used trailers for sale were purchased when the exchange rate was not so favorable to the US and the sellers are just trying to break even. . There are allways winners and looser when the exchange rate gets too far out of whack
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Should we really be trying to thwart the attempts of our members to sell their trailers for what they can? Doesn't seem right to me.
There's a fine line between someone educating others and attempting to thwart a sale. I think it's best that someone goes into a deal knowing all the facts, as then they're less likely to feel cheated when they do find out. Used Escapes will continue to command high prices, as people will continue to want them now and not wait. But they should make that decision based on knowing all the facts about the situation.

Let me add that I just sold a used Escape for not much less than what a new one would be, but I talked to the buyer and discussed the exchange rate and the facts. He was fully aware of the exchange rate situation but chose to go ahead with the deal because he wanted a trailer now.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Hmm. I'm gonna have to disagree. This forum has been an invaluable source of information on options, build sheets, trailering and camping tips, and yes - financial matters. The post above wasn't on one of the 'for sale' threads. The OP is giving those in the market information to help them get a fair deal. I appreciate that very much. Of course, if I were trying to sell at this time, I might be whistling another tune.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post
I think it's best that someone goes into a deal knowing all the facts, as then they're less likely to feel cheated when they do find out.
I do agree, but also firmly believe that this is something for them to figure out for themselves. I think folks are smarter than some believe them out to be, is all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Hmm. I'm gonna have to disagree. This forum has been an invaluable source of information on options, build sheets, trailering and camping tips, and yes - financial matters. The post above wasn't on one of the 'for sale' threads. The OP is giving those in the market information to help them get a fair deal. I appreciate that very much. Of course, if I were trying to sell at this time, I might be whistling another tune.
Yeah, but saying to buy new, instead of used, shows disrespect for those trying to sell their trailers. If I was selling a trailer right now, I would certainly be miffed. I guess my concern for these sellers is a little misguided, but it is just how I feel, and as much as others feel it is right to steer folks away from used, I have the right to feel otherwise.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The other issue, just as important is... time. Will or would you be willing to pay more to have something "now" versus 12 months from today. What is that saying "Time is money....."
Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #11
Site Team

Another minor detail - the OPs numbers are off. Even if the Loonie was trading for the numbers he mentioned (right now it isn't - its about 80¢ USD for a CAD) a BUYER of a new Escape isn't going to get that rate. The exchanging bank is going to take a cut. They would probably pay 82-83¢ per CAD. That could all change really quickly if the Saudis stop pumping oil in order to jack up the price, and the CAD rises as a result.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #12

Jim, I understand your protectiveness, but the new buyers will also be on these forums, just as the sellers are, and will become friends also. I think people should always make decisions based on knowledge. I will admit to feeling a bit bummed at seeing the loonie drop while I was trying to sell my Escape, but I'm also very happy my buyer went into the deal fully educated.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah, but saying to buy new, instead of used, shows disrespect for those trying to sell their trailers. If I was selling a trailer right now, I would certainly be miffed. I guess my concern for these sellers is a little misguided, but it is just how I feel, and as much as others feel it is right to steer folks away from used, I have the right to feel otherwise.
I hear ya Jim. I didn't take it as steering folks away from used to new but just pointing out the financial side of that. Besides, in our case anyway, we would have bought new regardless because we wanted it our way. I think its two different groups of buyers, with different priorities.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Exchange Rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post

The loonie is predicted to fall even more (some are saying as low as .71), but if I were buying a trailer from Escape, I think I would pay it in full now (I'm not a gambler). It was down to .79 yesterday and seems to track with the price of oil.
Several articles I read said that .75 is an almost certainty if the US economy continues to grow at its present rate and ,73 to .71 is possible. I find no joy in the losses of others because of the changing exchange rate but we can't alter reality . One should not be criticized for stating a fact or passing on valuable information.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Perhaps it's just us .....but this thread title caught us thinking " oh oh what's not good " - leaves a negative taste . Can't help but think that anyone looking and reading this forum as well as ads would also be aware of the exchange rates .
Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I think that in addition to exchange rates, you need to consder location as well as time. An Escape on the US east coast has been transported a long ways from Chilliwack. Whether towed or transported, there is cost involved.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Perhaps it's just us .....but this thread title caught us thinking " oh oh what's not good " - leaves a negative taste . Can't help but think that anyone looking and reading this forum as well as ads would also be aware of the exchange rates .
Yeah, that definitely could be part of the negativity felt. And you are right, folks are definitely aware of exchange rates. I mean, who here found this a surprise?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Time is not only money, but it's your life and memories you're waiting on. Every day is a gift, no matter your age and it's more precious the older we get. DON'T DELAY PLEASURE.

You can always make more money, you can not make more time!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You can always make more money, you can not make more time!
True, dat!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #20

Trailer: 2012 17B
Hi, all, I'm back. And have my own personal answer to 'buyer beware.' Yes, if you have all the time in the world, or think you do, wait. But life doesn't always go by the book. I had that brand new 21, then had lung cancer. Sold the 21, had surgery and chemo. Ordered a new 17, then worried about not being able to use it, so cancelled. Last month my 1 year CT was clear, and when Dave Okimoto's 17B came up for sale, I sure jumped on it! What is an exchange rate bobble in trade for a summer? Will be picking it up next week and taking it to Chilliwack for a solar retrofit. As Donna says, YMMV.

And through all this, I can't express my gratitude enough to Tammie for her understanding.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, wanted