WANTED: used 17B in U.S. - serious buyer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
WANTED: used 17B in U.S. or B.C. - serious buyer for full timing

I have been researching fiberglass trailers at length and absolutely fell in love with the Escape 17B. I plan to become a full timer by spring of 2016 and the floor plan is perfect for me!

I am hoping to find a lovingly used model in the $14,000 - $17,000 range but could stretch my budget to $20,000 if need be (U.S. dollars). Because I will be full-timing, added options are important to me, and in some cases like AC, they are vital.

I have the funds in hand to purchase but am finding it very hard to locate a used model in the U.S. I'm a little hesitant to purchase from Canada because of the possible hassle of bringing it across the border and what-all that would entail. (Edit: I'm not sure if I'm over thinking how hard it might be to buy in Canada and transfer to U.S. - I have family in Washington State that could help me if I found one in BC.)

If you're considering selling your 17B anytime between now and the new year, please get in touch.

Thank you,
Sara
Tucson, Arizona
Old 08-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
Is Phoenix close enough?

2005 Escape 17B Trailer | Phoenix, AZ | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 08-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
Thanks, Canadark. Yes, was already in touch with Greg about the Escape in Phx. and he may have a buyer. So... I'm being proactive in hopes that I will find another similar one.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
Ah...not surprising. Best of luck with your quest!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Welcome Sara,

Remember too that ETI sometimes has demos or preowned units for sale. With Tammy's experience at cross border issues, including shipping to you if you choose, it would be a no brainer. "Subscribing" to the for sale forum here would be a smart move, as they can can go quickly.

Also there is at least is at least one thread on Can-->US private sales here.

Good luck. Maybe see you at the rally next year.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
Good looking out!

Yikes that couldn't get any closer...best wishes!
Old 08-02-2015, 11:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Welcome, Sara! Escape would bring the trailer across the border and hand it to you there, so all of the papers are done properly. You would be given paperwork in advance to see about an AZ tag. An Escape owner in AZ can let you know about that. The exchange rate has never been better so you would do very well, as we all are who are buying now. A used one would save a little and they do come up once in a while.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #8

Thanks so much for the great replies - good information. You got me thinking...

With the U.S. dollar being so strong, I might be able to make a new one happen. With the used models holding their value, the new models aren't that much more. I'm thinking if I really scrimp/save and get busy downsizing by selling things on Craigslist, a new model could be in my future.

New or used, I'll be joining the ranks of Escape owners soon! I'm so excited!
Old 08-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Check the build schedule before you get your heart set on either buying new or getting into it by spring 2016. The lead time for a new one right now is running 11+ months. Amazing, but true!
Old 08-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #10

Yes, thanks, Mary. I did see the production schedule for next July/Aug. 2016, and it was a let down. I'll have to figure something out for 5 months or so because my lease will be up in March. But, the appeal of a brand new, custom "just-for-me" trailer is strong. I've sent an email to the company asking about options... maybe they can figure out a way to help me get into one a little sooner. If not, I'm a big believer in the idea that things happen the way they are meant to happen, so I'm going to try to let things unfold as they may. One way or another, I'll wake up in my 17B eventually!
Old 08-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarandipity View Post
I'll have to figure something out for 5 months or so because my lease will be up in March. But, the appeal of a brand new, custom "just-for-me" trailer is strong.
If you work out the right deal on a used Escape, it could work very well to get a used one right away, while at the same time ordering a new one.

At first you can use the used one for short stays to figure out what works for you, then you use it full-time when you need it. By the time your build sheet is due you would have a very good idea of what you really want. Once the new one is ready you sell the used one... and delay pickup of the new one until you sell the used one, so you have the money from the sale to pay for much of the new one.

I haven't done this, but it seems like it could work.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you work out the right deal on a used Escape, it could work very well to get a used one right away, while at the same time ordering a new one.

At first you can use the used one for short stays to figure out what works for you, then you use it full-time when you need it. By the time your build sheet is due you would have a very good idea of what you really want. Once the new one is ready you sell the used one... and delay pickup of the new one until you sell the used one, so you have the money from the sale to pay for much of the new one.

I haven't done this, but it seems like it could work.
Brian, I like that you think outside the box because this idea has some great positives to it. Hmmm... going to give it some serious thought. Thank you! Really helpful.

My "Sarandipity Travels" Blog: https://sarandipitytravels.com/
Old 08-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The one hitch in the giddy-up with that plan is the exchange rate. If you need the current high exchange rate in order to purchase (near 30% currently, a year ago in Aug it was 13% ) then it's very definitely throwing the dice for something a year out. Arbitrage is not for the feint of heart.
You would have the used one though if the rate went down and you couldn't move forward on the new one, or you could commit and convert the bulk of the money now on the new one at the high exchange rate, and figure out the 4-5 month gap.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The one hitch in the giddy-up with that plan is the exchange rate. If you need the current high exchange rate in order to purchase (near 30% currently, a year ago in Aug it was 13% ) then it's very definitely throwing the dice for something a year out. Arbitrage is not for the feint of heart.
You would have the used one though if the rate went down and you couldn't move forward on the new one, or you could commit and convert the bulk of the money now on the new one at the high exchange rate, and figure out the 4-5 month gap.
Hi Greg! I was wondering about that. I've sent an email to Tammy asking about the ordering process. If I decide to take the plunge on a new one, I think I should probably pay as much of it as I can while the exchange rate is good. Still trying to brainstorm what I would do to fill in the "homeless" gap. A used trailer is a great option, but after paying for the new unit, I'd be depleting all my savings on having the second used one as a stop-gap. Kinda scary. I have family all over the U.S. and I suppose I could drive them all crazy in shifts - you know, a month here, a month there, until they can't stand the sight of me.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #15

I'm excited to say that I am now the proud new owner of a 2005 17B! The pending sale that originally was going on fell through and I was able to drive up yesterday and purchase it. It seems like fate that the only one for sale just happened to be a short 3 hours away from me. I'm so excited and already have big plans for enjoying "Sarandipity" (of course I named it)! I want to thank Greg and Janea. I couldn't have asked for a nicer couple to deal with when buying my very first trailer. And thanks to every one here that offered advice and support. Hopefully, I'll be able to meet many of you at the rally in Sedona this winter.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #16

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Tucson Escapes

Sara, we are also in Tucson. If you have a question just let us know. You can contact us through the web site and I'll give our phone number. Right now I am working with a mobile mechanic on our refridge, I believe he is a good guy but dometic doesn't have the part in the West. I can also give you his name as he is on Google.
Jack and Nancy
Old 08-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Sara, we are also in Tucson. If you have a question just let us know. You can contact us through the web site and I'll give our phone number. Right now I am working with a mobile mechanic on our refridge, I believe he is a good guy but dometic doesn't have the part in the West. I can also give you his name as he is on Google.
Jack and Nancy
Great to "meet" you! It's nice to know there's another escape owner in town. I'd appreciate knowing who you use for your mobile mechanic. I'm going to be putting in a new air conditioner and will need some help with it. Thanks so much!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #18

2008 17 Ft Model B

Hi,
I have a 2008 17-B that I would sell. I am currently in Maine, however I will be heading back home to St George, Utah at the end of September. I plan to drive the southerly I-10 route, and it appears that Tucson would be on the way. I just saw your post. If you are still interested, I can send photos etc... My Escape is in great shape, has AC, sun awning, high clearance, solar panel (works incredibly well ) anti-sway bars, new tires, recently repacked bearings, lots of parts etc etc...... It's well within your budget, and I do think that you would be happy with it.
Let me know. Tom Kimbrell 509-429-2710
Old 08-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsoceans View Post
Hi,
I have a 2008 17-B that I would sell. I am currently in Maine, however I will be heading back home to St George, Utah at the end of September. I plan to drive the southerly I-10 route, and it appears that Tucson would be on the way. I just saw your post. If you are still interested, I can send photos etc... My Escape is in great shape, has AC, sun awning, high clearance, solar panel (works incredibly well ) anti-sway bars, new tires, recently repacked bearings, lots of parts etc etc...... It's well within your budget, and I do think that you would be happy with it.
Let me know. Tom Kimbrell 509-429-2710
Hi Tom. Thanks for the message. Your Escape sounds fantastic but I ended up buying one about two weeks ago. I've no doubt yours will sell quickly. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 17ft Escape
Hello.
We have a 17B up for sale in WA right now. Our ad has been posted recently.
Check it out if you're interested. Thanks!

Tags
17b, escape, wanted