2016 Mississippi River Rendezvous Sept 30-Oct 2 - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #201

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
We arrived at Scott County Park for a one night preliminary visit before going to Des Moines to spend a couple days with my brother. Very well kept park, and fairly large. As Paul mentioned, Pine Grove is the electric only section, another has water and electric, and a third has all three. Ours is the most wooded with only two other campers plus the host. Big rigs were at the section with all three amenities. Pine Grove has a single water supply that is threaded for a hose but we have our own and you might want to bring your own water since there was a water quality notice at check-in. Price is $20 with a dollar less if age 62.
Good call to suggest this park. Don't forget to cancel Thomson Causeway at recreation.gov

Bill
Not cancelling. We expect a full refund if they cancel us. At least, I certainly hope so. You will not necessarily get that if you cancel, which people who have already cancelled for other reasons have probably found. As far as I know, they do not allow any kind of change without charging for it.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:51 PM   #202

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Report from Red Dog

When the Park Ranger came to our campsite at Thomson Causeway Monday morning, he advised us that those that had not arrived would be contacted by either the park or Recreation.gov to inform them that their reservations would be canceled and that a refund would be issued.

My wife, Dora, and I drove to Scott County Park in Eldridge, Iowa to check it out.

1. Pine Grove Loop is very nice and even though it was very windy, we could only feel a nice breeze at the different campsites.

2. The sites are nicely spaced allowing each campsite to have their privacy.

3. There is a dump station as you enter the Pine Grove Loop which allows you to dump and pick up some potable water.

4. The restroom facilities at the Pine Grove Loop are very clean. There are three free shower stalls in the men and woman's rooms.

5. The restroom building even has a fireplace on the outside, with a cover and a couple of picnic tables.

6. AT&T customers will have 2-3 bars. I will try to check on other providers when we arrive tomorrow.

7. We did not seem to have a mosquito problem while we were wandering around the loop, but, Iowa Dave, you may still want to bring your screen, just in case.

8. There is a nice Glynns Creek Nature Trail accessible from our loop.

9. The Drop Tine Shelter (about 1/4 mile from our loop) where we will be have gathering, has 12 picnic tables and plenty of room around it for extra chairs. There are also two UniSex vault restrooms, which are very clean.

10. The cost for our sites will be $20, but anyone over 62 will get $1 discount.

11. Of all the places we have camped in our travels across the USA, this is the best county campground facility we have seen!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Old 09-27-2016, 07:03 AM   #203

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Reddog thanks very much for that excellent report

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
We were planning to spend tonight at Thomson on our way to Des Moines to visit my brother for a couple of days before the rally. We are now diverting to the Scott County location. We will stay there tonight and head to Des Moines in the morning. Will look for Red Dog there tonight.
Bill
Bill,
Sorry we missed you. We are still at Thomson Causeway and just took a quick trip on Monday to check out Scott County Park. We are leaving this morning.

...never had an Escape"
Old 09-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #205

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Scott county

Red dog
Thanks for the report. It's comforting to have your assurance that we will have good facilities this weekend. While I've not been in the park for several years I was impressed with the maintenance level at the time I visited. This is Scott County's signature park and probably gets the most attention, which is great with us, right?
See you on Thursday,
Iowa Dave
Old 09-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #206

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
For those with Thomson reservations through Recreation.gov, I just got a call (recorded message) saying that the reservation was being cancelled and a full refund is being issued. Leaving Pine Grove shortly, but looking forward to seeing everybody Thursday or Friday.
Bill
Old 09-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #207

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Brian,
I am confident that you will be able to find a campsite. However, the only for sure things in the world are death and taxes. I guess we can add that the river will rise to that list. The staff has emphasized that one is not allowed to hold a campsite for someone coming. I do think having the least popular campground and one filled with fiberglass trailers that all look similar with cause some prospective campers to pause before setting up in Pine Grove.

Someone suggested a large banner: WELCOME MISSISSIPPI RIVER RENDEZVOUS and then in small letters PARTY CENTRAL but the campground asks that nothing be hung from trees.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #208

Tree protection

See that Eric?
Nothing hanging from trees, not you, not me, not anybody. I'm making up a couple bags of candy for the kids, should I make one up for you too?
Dave
Old 09-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #209

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Oooooo..... Did someone say candy? I love this time of year.... All of those miniature candy bars.

I am bringing my favorite treat to share... Popcorn balls.

Hope to get a site in the Pine Grove loop.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #210

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
See that Eric?
Nothing hanging from trees, not you, not me, not anybody. I'm making up a couple bags of candy for the kids, should I make one up for you too?
Dave
Well that's a relief - I was afraid what was going to happen to me as 1st Loser in the Torque Your Nuts contest after all your illegal practicing. I'll probably need the candy to assuage my destroyed ego.

Are you still on those Russian steroids building up those wings?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #211

Hi Eric
Nope not on the Russian stuff anymore unless you count Black Russians. I'm now on a great new steroid that comes from Belgium in 12 ounce bottles called Hoegaarden. Not only does it make you think you're strong it makes you think you are smart and good looking. And that you can sing like Merle Haggard. Stopt over at my bros today and got some peppers, hot, mild, temperate. I Don't know which is which so I'll be giving them away at the rally.
Dave
Old 09-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #212

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Me thinks we will need some specimen cups......
Old 09-28-2016, 05:23 AM   #213

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Many thanks, Paul, for all the work organizing and Red Dog, for the report on Pine Grove. I'm hoping to be there but came home from Lisbon, Portugal Sunday night with Norovirus as a souvenir. Feeling much better now so hopefully I will see you all if I have the energy for the drive.

My mutts, Lily and Luna will be with me. They love people and other doggies. Part Jack Russell, part Blue Heeler, they would have loved herding some Kelpies.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #214

Nindy - those norovirus's are terrible. Get well soon and hopefully you will be all well in time to join the festivities.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #215

Red Dog status report from Pine a Grove Loop

As of 2 pm CDT today, 6 of the 31 campsites are taken in the Pine Grove Campground. Hope to see everyone soon.

Just as a reminder, they ask us to drive to the campground and drop the rig at your chosen site. Then, you go back to the registration office and register your site. No exceptions. But, if you are not familiar with the campground, here is a screenshot of the layout, or you can pick up a map at the registration office. There is a dump station with potable water as you enter the Pine Grive Campground. There are NO water spigots in the campground for adding water later.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

...never had an Escape"
Old 09-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #216

Red Dog
Another good report. We plan on arriving earl afternoon tomorrow. I will have two 5 gal potable water jugs along that anyone is welcome to borrow if they need to add water while there. Eric Thompson has volunteer to lug them to your site, at least that's what I thought he said. We are coming in on Hiway 30 and cuttin south on 61.
Dave
Old 09-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #217

Quote:
Red Dog
Another good report. We plan on arriving earl afternoon tomorrow. I will have two 5 gal potable water jugs along that anyone is welcome to borrow if they need to add water while there. Eric Thompson has volunteer to lug them to your site, at least that's what I thought he said. We are coming in on Hiway 30 and cuttin south on 61.
Dave
Thanks Dave! That will be very beneficial!

...never had an Escape"
Old 09-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #218

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Eric Thompson has volunteer to lug them to your site, at least that's what I thought he said.
Will be be doing that balancing the jugs on the top of his head thing?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #219

A yoke and a single tree that hooks up to my cart. Gee. Haw Whoa, that's all you gotta know right?
Dave
Old 09-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Will be be doing that balancing the jugs on the top of his head thing?
Yah sure you betcha -- both of 'em.

Closed Thread