2016 Mississippi River Rendezvous Sept 30-Oct 2 - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 10:35 PM   #261

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Rules? They are kinda like Dave's poetry. But basically three lug nuts and the contestant with a breaker bar tries to torque one at 40 ft pounds, next at 70 and the third at 95. Then we checked what they were actually at with Dave's expensive Proto torque wrench.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-03-2016, 10:39 PM   #262

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Got it. So, it had nothing to do with how many beers you had consumed.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #263

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Got it. So, it had nothing to do with how many beers you had consumed.
Task master Paul made us start at 10am to prevent the drunken brawls

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #264

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
A few more photos showing the official scorekeeper/referee and the grand prizes. (For some reason, vertical photos don't go vertical for me on here. I'm sure someone will flip it for me.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1750.jpg   IMG_1754.jpg  
Old 10-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #265

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Kudos to maestro Paul for initiating, organizing and re-organizing this event. I ate too much, drank too much, laughed and talked too much and just had too much enjoyment. I'll recover in time. Osage orange, Eric? What's that? A new Fall color being featured in Vogue magazine?
Old 10-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #266

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Good for you for beating the wimps! Go, Linda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post

a fun Torque Your Nuts contest but you really need to make it harder for us women, haha! Congrats to Maureen who was right behind me with torque finesse. (I'm really not one bit competitive. )

Thanks for the prizes for the contest. What was really impressive is that they came complete with batteries installed!

Hope to meet up with you all again sometime. I will certainly have to attend this event next year to defend my title! Safe and happy travels to all.

--Torque Queen Linda
Old 10-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #267

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Torque off

Some more photos of the Torque Off Contest. It was a close race. you had to torque 3 nuts, one to 40 ft lbs, one to 70 ft lbs and one to 95 ft lbs. Dave and Eric did the judging of the contest. It was a close race with 2 contestants a total of 15 ft-lbs off and 4 contestants a total of 20 ft lbs off. Then Linda the Torque Queen showed up and cleaned everyone's clock (or torque wrench by torquing each nut to the exact specification. She claims she did not practice but .....

A good time was had by all. Much coaching by Red Dog and his friend (Larry? -- I may have gotten that name wrong).

In addition to the many prizes won by the Torque Queen a genuine Harbor Freight Torque wrench was given away in a drawing.

The word is that Linda is offering a Torque off summer camp next year where she will help folks develop the delicate touch needed to tighten a nut to the exact specification.
Attached Thumbnails
TorqueQueen - 1.jpg   TorqueQueen - 2.jpg   TorqueQueen - 3.jpg   TorqueQueen - 4.jpg  
Old 10-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #268

Dave's new Torque Your Nuts contest test rig will be available for rent. Rental fee is patiently waiting to get a word in edgewise between stories.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #269

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
Good times, great people & food! Thanks Paul for all your work. Looking forward to next year! Lots of tall tales!!!!

Lorry & Rich
Old 10-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #270
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Man that looks like it was alot of fun Dave. Maybe one of these years we can head east.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #271

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Great photos, great time had by all it looks like, I feel a bit jealous of course since we had planned to attend but had to cancel due to my "valve job" in July, meaning health insurance to travel to the US became prohibitively expensive, at least for one year. We hope to join you all for the 3rd Mississippi rally next fall.

Adrian
Old 10-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #272

Adrian, you were missed

Old 10-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #273

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Beth and Adrian

We missed you as well. We had a real nice
time and I showed some of the photos around that I took at the St Malo Manitoba rally. Hope you can join us next year, looking forward to when we camp with you again.
Dave and Rita
Old 10-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #274

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Nice to see a few photos of this rally . Prairie Schooner looks awesome .....to new , needs to be broken in more !!
Old 10-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #275

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
taken by Iowa Dave.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0008.JPG  
Old 10-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #276

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Good for you for beating the wimps! Go, Linda!
Thanks, Cathy!
Old 10-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #277

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
taken by Iowa Dave.....
Looks great , we thought the new models look a lot larger.....
Old 10-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #278

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
2016 Summary

Well, the fire has been extinguished on the 2016 Mississippi River Rendezvous and it was a successful rally. The fireplace was the happening place for the rally. It became clear when I walked by at 6:30 Friday morning and someone had already stoked it up and added wood. They were sitting and enjoying it at that hour. Several admitted to staying up past their bed time to enjoy that fireplace. That truckload of firewood had high entertainment value.

We had 36 units in attendance. Sorry no break down by brand but Scamp, Casita, U-haul, and the habitual Escapes were present. I estimate there were 6 day trippers in the group. Someone announced that we had 59 in attendance for the pot luck dinner.

The rally was a squeaker in several ways; first, escaping from the flood waters of the Big Muddy days before the start of the event, second, finding a campground that would hold us at the last minute (thank you Iowa Dave) and finally fitting us all in. Under pressure because the Scott County Parks do not take reservations we were at the mercy of other campers and their willingness to camp in fiberglass heaven. On Friday night the last rally camper arrived at 9:00 pm taking the last spot. Saturday we had CPAHarley arrive and getting a spot only because someone left early. Whew!

As last year, the visitors arrived on Saturday with their clip boards, build sheets pocket folders and tape measure. They poured over their model of choice and asked question after question. It was great to see their enthusiasm and the patient answers given by the owners. The tours started early and ended late.

The crowd was definitely Mississippi River folks with Iowa and Illinois well represented but so were Wisconsin, Missouri, Nebraska, Arkansas, Texas, Indiana, Tennessee, Minnesota and Pennsylvania. Manitoba was conspicuous by its absence, eh! What a great group to spend a weekend with. Thank you for making the rendezvous the success it was.

See you next year.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #279

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Grandpa was there too

Hi Paul
Very nice write up. Thanks for all of your hard work on this rally. Better mention that there was one boler in attendance, the granddaddy of most fiberglass campers today. At 42 years young it's still going strong including the original refrigerator. This is a great indication of the durability, resilience, value and capability of the fiberglass travel trailer. And that newly redecorated interior was beautifully done by its millennial owners. Who else is running a trailer ten years older than the owner?
Thanks again
Dave
Old 10-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #280

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Paul
Very nice write up. Thanks for all of your hard work on this rally. Better mention that there was one boler in attendance, the granddaddy of most fiberglass campers today. At 42 years young it's still going strong including the original refrigerator. This is a great indication of the durability, resilience, value and capability of the fiberglass travel trailer. And that newly redecorated interior was beautifully done by its millennial owners. Who else is running a trailer ten years older than the owner?
Thanks again
Dave
Thanks Dad for not forgetting about the B&B. Newly decorated interior would just be a heap of fabric without the Viking sewing machine (that, coincidentally, is about the same age as the Boler...) and the master seamstress!! She thought she was done... but I sent her back home with fabric and a new sewing project...

Great to meet all of you at the rally!!
Closed Thread