2016 Quartzsite Gathering - Quartzsite, AZ - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I was wondering if I could get a bit of clarification here, on what exactly Quartzite camping, and this rally is? I am curious mostly from a camping perspective, not what happens.

I do realize this is BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land, and that one can camp on BLM land for free (but with a permit, right?). I have googled "Quartzite Camping", and most stuff seems pretty much like a parking lot in the desert with RV's.

Am I missing something here? There seems to be a lot of interest so I must assume my first impressions are not accurate.

Is it kinda like a Burning Man for trailer people?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #62

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
No, we'll stay away from the "Burning Man" analogy.
Coming from the land of trees, Jim, the open desert can sometimes appear to be like a parking lot. There is a different beauty in the desert and Dome Rock at Quartzsite pretty much meets the definition of sheer rock mountains flanking N and S with tons of minerals (mostly quartz, although JoeZ did find some gold across the way last year).
BLM technically requires a permit which is free so no costs. In many areas of BLM I don't think the permit thing is too enforced, but given the number of winter visitors to Q it is more strict.
The town has a year round population of around 4000 and in the height it has swelled to over 1,000,000 when the winter visitors are in. It tails off now that the big RV show is over and folks start to move on.
The flea markets and transient winter visitor culture is quite something to experience. As well, getting over 100 molded fiberglass diverse trailers together in one spot is rare and something to behold. Best thing I can say is we've been to all previous 8 years and most people keep coming back.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #63

Thanks for that, Greg.

You are right that for the most part, trees are, and have been, a huge part of camping for me. I do know the beauty of the desert, and other treeless areas like that. I love the many places in southern Utah I have been to. As well around here, the prairie landscape behold a certain beauty of their own too, and the only trees there are the ones along rivers.

I guess the best thing to do would be to come and check it out for myself in the future. Kinda get a new perspective on what camping can be. I am good with that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #64

Jim,
I'm putting you down for 2017 in that new 5.0 TA!
I'm already developing the Jim Bennett list of things to see...
Here's just a sample:
HI JOLLY, THE CAMEL DRIVER - Lyrics - International Lyrics Playground

Hi Jolly's grave is in Quartzsite.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Jim,
I'm putting you down for 2017 in that new 5.0 TA!
I'm already developing the Jim Bennett list of things to see...
Here's just a sample:
HI JOLLY, THE CAMEL DRIVER - Lyrics - International Lyrics Playground

Hi Jolly's grave is in Quartzsite.
Looks like I will have to learn this song on guitar by then. Though I imagine a few there already play it.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #66

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Hey Jack and Nancy (21’ Escape out of Tucson) and Duke and Beverlee. (21’ Escape out of San Antonio, Texas) great to know you will be there. :-) We promise to not be pests…. but I get the sense that Escape owners are a proud bunch, and love to show off the upgrades & build sheet results on their trailer.

(we will soon-ish order a [new exterior!] 21’ Escape for 2017 hatching)

Thanks Greg A for all the good posts and info here on this thread. Much appreciated.

My wife is unsure if she will come along (work is crazy for her this month) but I’m hoping to at least bring my daughter out with me for the weekend….. we’ll be easy to spot as we will ALWAYS be wearing sun hats, and she is adorable and sweet.

(we 100% keep our names off the forum here for home security reasons… so random people never know we will be away from our home in Los Angeles)

From looking at Arizona Eileen’s awesome pics from a previous year at Quartzite:

2014 02 - Quartzsite Gathering (scroll down to view) - LoveMyCasita

it looks like a very mellow, family friendly gathering.

Questions:

one) How old are the “Quartzite kids” now? My daughter always loves meeting new people, both young and old.

two) Does anyone know if there is Verizon LTE there? Just in case my wife wants to squeeze in a little work….. if she can come along.

three) We tow our Casita 17’ with an AWD Acura MDX…. the pics make it look pretty easy to get around the BLM land.
Would it be a problem to arrive about 9 pm on Friday night? That is the earliest we could get there.

We would follow protocol and try to find the “host” to informally check in… then find a quiet spot on the edge of things…. is this all easily doable?

four) Would it be a problem to go get the BLM pass on Saturday morning? (we like to follow the rules…. but it’ll be late Friday….)

five) how can I easily find the rally “host” to say hi and “check in” (so to speak) at 9 pm on Friday night?

Our first ever rally. I’m getting very excited! A completely different-than-usual-in-Los-Angeles weekend.

Thanks
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #67

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Question: can non-fiberglass RVs attend this gathering? We are traveling with a friend who has a 19' Roadtrek camper van. Can she come to this gathering with us?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #68

LA,
Glad to have you come on out. Beauty of Quartzsite gathering is no reservations needed. Friday will be fine, we used to arrive after 11pm on Friday in the early days. I'm the host trailer 19 Escape-Seventy Degrees on back, and I'm planning to be setup on Monday in the Main Center Loop on the South side of the clearing space permitting. Earl is a Co-Host and the Ladderball Host and will be in a Scamp 16' Deluxe right next to us. You can get the BLM permit Saturday, NP. Pull in and find an opening that looks good and set up, then if I'm still up and around we'll say Howdy. Quartzsite kids are approx 16 and 13 now.
I had T-mobile data line there last year and Verizon should hit or we run to McDonalds and use theirs when something needs doing. I'm still working, and will be off and on all week.
Think that's got it. Look forward to you joining in.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #69

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Cannot say for certain just yet but I am getting close to being able to join in and be there. It would probably be Thursday. That likely means the place will have already filled up with a couple hundred eggs, right?

Thinking a ceremonial drive to take in the spectacle of this rally, right down the middle of the shabang and back, would be a nice way to enter and find my spot.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #70

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Cannot say for certain just yet but I am getting close to being able to join in and be there. It would probably be Thursday. That likely means the place will have already filled up with a couple hundred eggs, right?

Thinking a ceremonial drive to take in the spectacle of this rally, right down the middle of the shabang and back, would be a nice way to enter and find my spot.
Myron,
From my experience, the grand entrance needs to be executed with great confidence so onlookers don't recognize you as a rookie, sightseer. Practice the Rose queen ball bearing wrist wave, look straight ahead while eating a candy bar, they'll never suspect a thing. Chrome wheels all around are always good too.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Metropolitan Quartzsite
Attached Thumbnails
Quartz.jpg  
Old 02-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While there are not any "forests", there are trees. My current site at Dome Rock includes this one that is about the same size as my trailer...
Attached Thumbnails
_JRV0903.jpg  
Old 02-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We left Vancouver on Monday. Met 2 Escape 19 owners so far, one bound for San Diego and one for Baja.

We're in Indio now and hope to be in Quartzsite by sundown.

We're early but I want one of those pins

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #74

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I want one of those pins, too! Have to go another year. The desert is a great place to be. Especially looking at our snow and ice.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We're early but I want one of those pins
Pin it for a pin.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #76

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Abeltaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
two) Does anyone know if there is Verizon LTE there? Just in case my wife wants to squeeze in a little work….. if she can come along.
I'm relying on Sprint and the reception at Quartzite was 1 or 2 bars 3G. However, there is free wifi at at least one truckstop. (the "inside" wifi is free, but I was using it no problem while sitting in my car in the parking lot.)

Hope she can make it!
Amy
Abeltaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #77

My Verizon Jetpack is working fine at Dome Rock even without an amplifier or outside antenna.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
My Verizon Jetpack is working fine at Dome Rock even without an amplifier or outside antenna.
Not sure what a jet pack is.

Are regular Verizon smart phones working at Dome Rock?

Thanks.

:-)
Old 02-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #79

While I don't have a Verizon phone, the jetpack runs on Verizon's data frequencies. If it works, a phone should as well. For the techies - On 4G LTE: Signal Strength -115dBm & S/N ratio 12.

By the way, my AT&T iPhone works fine on voice & data, again without amplification.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While I don't have a Verizon phone, the jetpack runs on Verizon's data frequencies. If it works, a phone should as well. For the techies - On 4G LTE: Signal Strength -115dBm & S/N ratio 12.

By the way, my AT&T iPhone works fine on voice & data, again without amplification.
Thanks much. Good to know that if the wife stays at home (sadly it looks as if she will have to) then my daughter and I can keep in touch with her.

so is there a good place to fill up our fresh water tank just WEST of the rally?

would be friday evening (not daytime)

does it cost?

we dont need to haul all that weight from Los Angeles.