2018 Mississippi River Rendezvous September 28-30 - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #161

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We considered going up especially with my daughter, son in law, and their boler but she’s not camping with the new baby yet,so we opted out. Maybe we will go for the 75th. By then 95 will be the new 55.
Iowa Dave
That's OK Dave we will anxiously await seeing you at Thomson Causeway, especially the baby! Meantime enjoy the Niagara rally.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #162

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
18 miles north of Thomson Illinois is the town of Savannah Illinois, it’s on Highway 84 in Illinois. Across the river in Iowa is a little town called Sabula. It’s on highway 64 which is an east west highway. On the first of September a new bidge opened between these two towns. So if you are coming to the rally from the Iowa side of the river on highways that are north of US 30, your shortest route would be to cross on 64 at Sabula and take 84 down to Thomson. You couldn’t do this last year. At the end of September the 5 miles of backwaters coming into Sabula hold dozens of Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets. They are easily viewed from Highway 64. There’s a big grocery store in Savanna and also two across the River from Fulton, Illinois in Clinton Iowa. Also in Savanna are antique stores and biker bars including the infamous Poopy’s where you can hire a tattoo artist for an 8 hour session. They’re real characters who will give you the needle.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #163

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
We are debating whether or not to bring our Kayaks on the trip to the rally. We are arriving on Wednesday so will have plenty of time.

Any thoughts from those that know the area would be appreciated.

Caren
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #164

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Having kayaked, but not in this area, I would say there are plenty of opportunities right from the campground. Access at the campground to the actual river is limited due to the rip rap installed on the shoreline. I have not walked the shore, some is inaccessible, to locate a launch. The causeway side is easier to get to and there seems to be frequent shore fisher persons. There maybe a boat launch.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #165

Boat Ramp

There is a boat ramp on the slack water bayou just as you come into the camping area. After launching there you can go out on the river if you so desire. The east side of the river all along the camping area is relatively shallow with lots of water Lilly’s and emergent vegetation. Further downstream there’s lots of rip rap near the stone pavilion. That can all be kayaked. The west side ( Iowa side) of the river is the main channel with a fairly swift current and most notably, barge traffic. Barges are nothing to mess with. The undertow created as they pass by is deep, dangerous and surprisingly long lasting. We’ve seen kayakers near the campground in the past. With respect and the proper life jacket, you should have no problem. 18 miles upriver on the Iowa side there are literally miles of no current backwater to be explored should you desire to drive a bit.
Iowa ( yes I had a folbot 50 years ago) Dave
Old 09-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #166

Trailer: Escape19-2016 2nd Gen.; TV: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel

We missed last year's rendezvous so are making a commitment to joining the group this year. We just booked site 065 on the north loop (closest to the main loop we could find). Looking forward to meeting other "eggheads" on the Forum. It sounds like there will be a good turnout.

Randy & Sandy
RandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #167

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Well done, RandS.
That's very walkable to many of the activities.
Some of the activities are at a pavilion that's pretty much not walkable from the rally loop or your loop, so no difference there.

See you there,
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #168

Agenda

Hi Paul
Like you my memory is a little choppy. Too much brain activity over the years in the high tech World I lived in . At any rate, I have had communication from an attendee who needs to know if you need a large coffee pot for the morning get acquainted coffee? He’s got several and is willing to bring one along with his home made biscuits and gravy. What day were you planning to do that, I forgot? Otherwise we’re getting tuned up for the trip
Thank You
Iowa Dave
Old 09-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Well done, RandS.
That's very walkable to many of the activities.
Some of the activities are at a pavilion that's pretty much not walkable from the rally loop or your loop, so no difference there.

See you there,
Bill
Thanks for the heads-up on the pavilion. It nudged us over on the decision to get a bike rack this year.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #170

Campground travels

That bike will come in handy as it’s a fur pull to the nice Restrooms too. One thing everybody attending needs to note, the Ranger there has a radar equipped pickup he’s mighty proud of. He uses the best electric contact cleaner that the govamint can buy ($700 a can?) no that’s a hammer, and he likes to flip his lights on. After a stop he says to his partner, see if I turned my cherry off. The partner sticks his head out over the roof and says
It’s off, it’s on, it’s off, it’s on. Easy does it.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #171

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Paul and I are attending the rally - we have booked site #36 for Thursday and Friday nights as we are passing through on the return leg home from Maine to Washington. Since we sold our 5.0 to Adrian and Beth we are Escape "use-to-be's" - and are now traveling with a Class B+. We have met several of this rally's attendees at the Osoyoos rallies and look forward to meeting the midwestern contingent of the Escape family! It looks like a beautiful campground!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #172

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Would like a site in rally loop

We have a reservation for the rally, but not in the loop being used (sites 99-126). If you need to cancel please let us know so we can change sites. Looking forward to meeting new friends.
Tony and Darlene
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #173

Last year the folks across from us stayed two nights and had plans to be somewhere else. When they moved out, Bill S went to another loop and quickly recruited an Escape who was happy to move and get a nice view of the big river. I’m sure it would happen again should a site open up.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #174

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony N View Post
We have a reservation for the rally, but not in the loop being used (sites 99-126). If you need to cancel please let us know so we can change sites. Looking forward to meeting new friends.
Tony and Darlene
Mt Horeb - the former home of the Mustard Museum wasn't it? Hopefully a site will open up for you.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #175

Mt Horeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Mt Horeb - the former home of the Mustard Museum wasn't it? Hopefully a site will open up for you.
Hey Eric
Was Mt Horeb the site of the original Gander Mountain when they were just mail order? I think that is why they named it Gander Mountain because visitors would go up the moutain to “take a gander”. Hmmmm.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #176

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Hey Eric
Was Mt Horeb the site of the original Gander Mountain when they were just mail order? I think that is why they named it Gander Mountain because visitors would go up the moutain to “take a gander”. Hmmmm.
Iowa Dave
Close Dave, The former site of the Mustard Museum is now the flagship retail store for Duluth Trading Co. They specialize in trade/work clothes. They are building a 5 story corporate office a block off downtown. Looks like a sky scraper in our little village, but will bring a lot of people and activity to the heart of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
You are correct Eric, they moved to Middleton (Madison suburb) in 2009.
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #177

Ok so now I’m clear. The original catalog based Gander Mountain was in Wilmot Wisconsin just across the state line from Gander Mountain which is in Lake County Illinois. So for a perfect road trip adventure one could go to the Spam Museum in Austin Minnesota, then to Middleton for some mustard and a visit to the mustard museum, stop for some White bread in Wilmot and then go to Gander Mountain to have a sandwich and take a gander at the countryside. Then onto Potosi. Wisconsin for a few brews. At that time I would stumble back to my car and say “ Rita, take me drunk, I’m home again.” Perfect day.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #178

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Ok so now I’m clear. The original catalog based Gander Mountain was in Wilmot Wisconsin just across the state line from Gander Mountain which is in Lake County Illinois. So for a perfect road trip adventure one could go to the Spam Museum in Austin Minnesota, then to Middleton for some mustard and a visit to the mustard museum, stop for some White bread in Wilmot and then go to Gander Mountain to have a sandwich and take a gander at the countryside. Then onto Potosi. Wisconsin for a few brews. At that time I would stumble back to my car and say “ Rita, take me drunk, I’m home again.” Perfect day.
Iowa Dave
Seems strange , we have been to everyone of the places you mentioned numerous times and yet we still haven’t met you or your lovely wife . Must just be fate or that you see us first .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #179

Quote:
Hey Eric
Iowa Dave

Hey Iowa Dave,

My Dad used to get hunting/fishing catalogs from the original Gander Mountain back in the 1960's. I bought my first tent from them - a Themos Pop Tent (an odd canvas dome with a locking mechanism at the top for the fiberglass poles ). They were in the little town of Wilmot, WI, located on the Illinois border. The Gander Mountain Forest Reserve is just south of Wilmot in Illinois. I'm sure from the top of the "mountain" you could gander the 500 feet or so into Wisconsin! Anyway, Holiday stores in Minneapolis bought the business and more recently - as you know - Camping World.

We'll be gandering at a bunch of big, white goose eggs next week... <Honk!> See you soon!

R&S
Old 09-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #180

Catalogs

You're hurting my feelings. I used to get Gander Moutain catalogs in the 60's too. Also Herters from Minnesota.
We will be in camp in a lot classier tent than our first one. A 2 person Wenzel pup tent without a floor. See you and a lot of other Badgers next week.
Iowa Dave