2019 Mississippi River Rendezvous September 27-29 - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #241

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Now you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I thought Escape made campers, not boats. I spent much of four days boarding and disembarking my water craft. I got to walk the plank (hopping from board to board) for nearly three days. Two inches of rain on Thursday night and then a repeat of two inches on Saturday night and a water table of 12 inches it felt and looked like the campground was an extension of the Mississippi River.

The Army Corp of Engineers pumped out my site on Saturday, had to make room for the additional two inches on Saturday.

What was most interesting? It did not make a difference. Had a great time with everyone at the rally.
Hi Paul
Now you know why areas like Thomson are called river bottoms. They can be as wet as the bottom of the river! Thanks for all of your efforts to organize and hold this rally. We appreciate it. See you next year if not before.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #242

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
We want to add our voice to the chorus, thanking Paul and Janet (and everybody) for all the hard work put into making the Rally great. It was so nice to see and catch up with everybody !
Old 09-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #243

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Many thanks to Paul and Janet for a great rally. The food, snacks, and desserts were outstanding. Also great to see some old friends and make new ones.

Thanks to Tom who brought some "ESCAPE IPA". Maybe Karl is moving beyond trailers to create additional revenue streams at the new ETI.

While we were not charged for it, Paul and I were privileged to get upgraded sites that included our own swimming pool.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1662.jpg   DSCN1666.jpg  
Old 10-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #244

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Paul
Now you know why areas like Thomson are called river bottoms. They can be as wet as the bottom of the river! Thanks for all of your efforts to organize and hold this rally. We appreciate it. See you next year if not before.
Iowa Dave

Just got this email. Looks like we dodged a bullet.

Sites 79-131 at the Thomson Causeway are currently closed due to flooding. All reservations for sites 79-131 have been cancelled and you will receive a full refund. The current closure extends until October 9, however, it may be further extended depending on when the river recedes and clean-up can be performed. Please continue to check Recreation.gov as well as www.missriver.org for updates. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

-Thomson Rangers
Old 10-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #245

Our annual average rainfall in Dubuque Iowa which is upriver of Thomson is 36 to 37 inches. In the last 30 days they have had 16+ inches and it all has to go somewhere. So, good for us.
As my Landscape Architect trained commissioner would say, “Always take the high ground.”
I’ve had a lot of rain here at home but we are graded perfectly and she just goes right on by on down to Prairie Creek about 4 miles south.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #246

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Kudos to Paul & Janet for yet another swell gathering. Bravo, maestros, and maestras!

Another rendezvous with kindred spirits. And I must, just must, send a shout out to Elaine for her pea soup concoction. It was nearly empty when I got around to her pot, but I got what I needed.
Hope to see ya'll next year.

Bon voyage,

Tom
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #247

The soup was excellent.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #248

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We also loved Elaine's soup. We're also glad we stayed over at 38 where we had great neighbour's, Jim and Noelia, Corky and Darlene, P.J. and Ted, and a much drier site than those in the rally loop.

After 2545 km 1581 miles we arrived home yesterday afternoon with lots of purchases in the US including our new Endurance tires (thanks Dave Rex was great one hour in and out). We are certainly glad that despite the weather we attended and met up with friends old and new. See you next year in the "dry" loop

On edit - how could we forget to thank Paul and Janet and all the other helpers. So here it is now - Thank you all.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #249

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
It was great to attend the rally this year in the new Escape rather than in a makeshift tent, particularly considering the abundant rainfall. It was so much fun with friendly people, tasty food, and informative events. Thanks to Paul, Janet, and all who made this yet another great rally!
Mary O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #250

And to think the campground is now closed due to high water.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #251

Having been through floods before, this one at Thomson is due to supersaturation of the soil, low ground with very little surface drainage and continued local rainstorms. The “real” high water on the river itself will occur in the next couple of weeks. That’s not to say that the campground shouldn’t be closed and that cleanup, dormant season reseeding and inspection of utility services doesn’t need to be done before reopening. And by then they may very well be closed for the season in that section of the Rock Island District. Our 30+ or- Escapes at the end of the season for an average of four days does not hurt their revenue projection for September for sure. They probably just wish that 90% of us weren’t old geezers camping for 1/2 price. The higher water through Fall will probably make for an extended barge season which the shippers are going to need considering we are experiencing a slow start to the corn and bean harvest. If she don’t freeze up early. Here’s a little guy jacking 15 barges and the big tow so he can go through the pivoting railroad bridge at Sabula last Friday afternoon. “ Hey Donny, give me reverse on the left and 3/4 forward on the right with some right rudder to square this rookie up” “Aye Aye Cap’n”
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
1B3A5FE3-7390-4DC7-A992-140817BB8908.jpg   F796ED8B-CB98-4986-9DA7-36C7DA3BE92A.jpg   886DBBC9-8FEA-4DC8-9880-9E7E9AC08AEF.jpg  
Old 10-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #252

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
spoken by Iowa "Mark the Twain" Dave....