2019 Quartzsite Gathering - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Don't worry about that, it's a big desert, room for all so there's no need to sign up ahead of time.

The only competition is for the limited number of badge/pins available.

There are two sign ups, one at the meeting site, when you arrive and the other for your 10 day free BLM permit.

Ron
Thanks Ron, we will see you there.
Sounds like a good time, maybe we can help you with that Snakes and ladders game
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
It looks like we will make the trip to the SW again this year.
We will be around the area early January and stay through most of February.

Hope to see many of you folks there
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #43

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Where do you pick up the free BLM camping permit for Q? I'd like to camp in places in UT that also call out the requirement for the free permit. Where does one pick up the UT permit?
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
For Q'site it's really easy. On the way from town towards Dome Rock the BLM guy is set-up in a trailer by the road. Pull in, fill it out, done.

Don't know about UT.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Not to worry, the Quartzsite BLM permit guy is friendly.
Attached Thumbnails
QuartzsiteBLM.jpg  
Old 09-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #46

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
This is the year... going to make Quartzite in 2019 Beginning full-timing next month and, as I have done no advanced planning, may be there for quite some time!
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Where do you pick up the free BLM camping permit for Q? I'd like to camp in places in UT that also call out the requirement for the free permit. Where does one pick up the UT permit?
In most western states (including UT) the BLM is organized by state, with the state divided into geographic administrative units called Districts. Each District has an office. Districts are further divided into one or more Field Offices, which also have a staffed office. Each administrative/management unit (a Field Office is typically the smallest unit, but not always) has geographic boundaries and a physical office where they do business. Look at the maps on the BLM website for the state you are interested in to determine the name and contact information for the Field Office that administers the land you are interested in visiting (some BLM State Office websites are better than others). Contact that Field Office for specific rules and permit requirements. They may, or may not, be able to advise you on site specific local conditions.

Expect a lot of variability between different offices. In most lightly visited areas (Moab and Q are not) camping for less than 14 days near an open road on BLM administered public land (BLM is a federal land agency) qualifies as a "casual use" and does not require a permit. Color-coded land status maps are available that show BLM, State, Tribal, Park, private, etc.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCO View Post
In most western states (including UT) the BLM is organized by state, with the state divided into geographic administrative units called Districts. Each District has an office. Districts are further divided into one or more Field Offices, which also have a staffed office. Each administrative/management unit (a Field Office is typically the smallest unit, but not always) has geographic boundaries and a physical office where they do business. Look at the maps on the BLM website for the state you are interested in to determine the name and contact information for the Field Office that administers the land you are interested in visiting (some BLM State Office websites are better than others). Contact that Field Office for specific rules and permit requirements. They may, or may not, be able to advise you on site specific local conditions.

Expect a lot of variability between different offices. In most lightly visited areas (Moab and Q are not) camping for less than 14 days near an open road on BLM administered public land (BLM is a federal land agency) qualifies as a "casual use" and does not require a permit. Color-coded land status maps are available that show BLM, State, Tribal, Park, private, etc.
I'll just add that in Quartzsite there are two different permits available. The free 14 day permit is available from a "host" located near each of the short term camping areas (such as Dome Rock).

There is also a Long Term Visitor Area permit. They are not free, but provide access to fresh water, dumpsters for trash & a dump station. There are 4 LTVAs in the Quartzsite area, and another 4 in Arizona & California. Two types of permits - for $40.00 you get a 2 week permit that is repeatable as often as you stay, and a $180.00 permit good for 7 months (Nov - Apr). You can use either permit to move between any of the LTVAs. The LTVA permits are available at entrance stations at the LTVAs.

The LTVA permit does not cover the short term areas such as Dome Rock so if you have on you will still need to stop in for the free 14 day permit.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I was interested in a dispersed camping area in South Dakota. I called the field office one day in early spring and got a young guy who was filling in at the office that day. He regularly spent his days in the field. He was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the site. As an offhand comment he told me there were some old fallen down ranch building. “Lots of rattlesnakes there so be careful” he said. That was all I needed to hear to change my plans as our dog hunts every minute he’s outside and I didn’t need to deal with a snakebite. Engage these people in a friendly way, they are a great resource.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #50

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCO View Post

We camped on some BLM lands at the end of the "Hole in the Rock Road" near Escalante in UT last fall and had to get a (free) pass from the local BLM office in Escalante, so my advice would be don't assume its casual use not requiring a pass, but enquire in the local BLM office and check what their requirements are.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #51

OK, so dumb question from potential Quartzsite newbies. This is really an opportunity to hang out with like minded RV travellers with Fibreglass trailers, wishing to avoid the worst of the winter. There's no formal agenda, just chilling out, sharing stories and generally having a good time?

Just show up at Dome Rock Campgrounds, get your BLM permit, find a suitable space to camp, and whatever? Anything special we need to be bringing?
Old 10-23-2018, 01:35 AM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
OK, so dumb question from potential Quartzsite newbies. This is really an opportunity to hang out with like minded RV travellers with Fibreglass trailers, wishing to avoid the worst of the winter. There's no formal agenda, just chilling out, sharing stories and generally having a good time?

Just show up at Dome Rock Campgrounds, get your BLM permit, find a suitable space to camp, and whatever? Anything special we need to be bringing?
That's pretty much it. Don't forget to bring a can of soup. The one weekend has lot's of structured events and most attendee's aim for that weekend but lot's of folks arrive days early or stay longer.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

As pointed out to me by the fellow handing out permits at Dome Rock, one good reason to get a permit is that it gives them a better idea how many folks are using the area and with more use they get more funding. He also said that though many do not get permits, or even think they don't need them (which they do), that policing folks to see if they have them rarely happens as they just don't have the resources or manpower to do so.

The responsible thing to do is for everyone to get a permit. It takes but a few minutes, it's free and you can chat with the BLM guy and get some great ideas about the area.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #54

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Very sad to say that Lil Camper and I wont be able to make it this year.

Big work project that has a deadline, and can't be changed.

I'll miss everyone, including LeRoy, the dessert buffet, campfires, watching unsuitable, lowered tow vehicles get stuck on a rock, Ladderball, the amazing sunsets, the quirky nearby town, and the scenery.

John and Lil Camper.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:

Quartzsite has never been a gathering formed around activities, although there are some. As we get closer to the gathering I’ll be posting the schedule so keep an eye here. As Ron mentioned bring a can of soup for the great soup thing, and the dessert pot luck has become the largest event so plan on bringing or making a dessert for that event.
There are flea markets all over town to explore and the naked bookseller is an interesting attraction.(Yes, he is naked) Mostly, it is an incredible landing of alien eggs in the desert (over 200 last year), making and catching up with good friends, and getting some good advice from some long time fiberglass hobbyists.

Look forward to seeing you there.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
... the naked bookseller is an interesting attraction.(Yes, he is naked...

Come on, Greg. You are exaggerating - he wears a sock!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
... the naked bookseller is an interesting attraction.(Yes, he is naked...

Come on, Greg. You are exaggerating - he wears a sock!
I thought that was his winter coat....
Old 10-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Very sad to say that Lil Camper and I wont be able to make it this year.

Big work project that has a deadline, and can't be changed.

I'll miss everyone, including LeRoy, the dessert buffet, campfires, watching unsuitable, lowered tow vehicles get stuck on a rock, Ladderball, the amazing sunsets, the quirky nearby town, and the scenery.

John and Lil Camper.
Oh no, John, this is tragic. How did you explain this to Lil Camper? We will definitely miss you out there this year.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:30 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That's pretty much it. Don't forget to bring a can of soup. The one weekend has lot's of structured events and most attendee's aim for that weekend but lot's of folks arrive days early or stay longer.

Ron
Ron, what’s the can of soup for?
Old 10-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #60

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Ron, what’s the can of soup for?
https://www.lakeshoreimages.com/17trip/day104.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote