2019 Quartzsite Gathering - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #81

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Our plans for this winter may be changing and would like to get to Quartzsite but could not arrive until Feb. 14th at the earliest. Is anyone staying around for a while after the 10th?
Too bad Adrian, was looking forward to seeing you and Beth again. Our plan right now is to be heading out early in the week Mexico bound.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #82

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Too bad Adrian, was looking forward to seeing you and Beth again. Our plan right now is to be heading out early in the week Mexico bound.
Hi Jim, there was talk of you perhaps going to Mexico first but looks like you decided on afterwards. If I (Adrian) go I'll be on my own and Beth will join me back in AL in time for Green Eggs and Ham. Just don't know about all the driving to do both SW and SE US in the same two month holiday. It's one rather large triangle from here

We are hoping to do Osoyoos again if not in 2020 then in 2021 so we shall cross paths again. If our dollar continues to do so poorly we may even look at part wintering in the Okanagan rather than head south.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hi Jim, there was talk of you perhaps going to Mexico first but looks like you decided on afterwards. .
Yah Jim, what the heck are you doing? Your post seems to indicate that you're heading to Mexico before Q'site. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.

At any rate we're heading there after Q'site, conditions permitting. Anyone else that's always wanted to go but didn't want to do it on their own is welcome to tag along. Our destination, as always, is Coyote Beach.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yah Jim, what the heck are you doing? Your post seems to indicate that you're heading to Mexico before Q'site. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.

At any rate we're heading there after Q'site, conditions permitting. Anyone else that's always wanted to go but didn't want to do it on their own is welcome to tag along. Our destination, as always, is Coyote Beach.

Ron
Nah, that was a one-time thought ages ago. We are definitely going to leave from Quartzsite.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Nah, that was a one-time thought ages ago. We are definitely going to leave from Quartzsite.
Hi: Jim Bennett... Mucho grass ya's!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #86

Our two trailer convoy is set to leave Calgary on Jan 11 or 12. Looking at the weather forecast right now going over the Great Divide from Helena to Butte looks great, and then forecasting some snow for when we leave. Go figure. We will just have to take our time and deal with conditions as we go.

Last year going down this is the only area we hit snow storm with quite cold temps, shortly south of Butte it started getting nicer. Coming back last year though was sleet then snow from Salt Lake City all the way north. This year we do not have a set time to be home which will be nice.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:46 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Actually just starting to research the the Baja now. Your input will be valuable too, and we need at least a place to start. We are not sure how long we will stay down, though at least a couple weeks.

I like what one guy who leads caravans deep down into Mexico said, that they were a really good idea, but safety was the least of the reasons to be concerned with.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:19 PM   #88

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Anyone going to have a Bigfoot 21 at the Quartzsite rally this year? Would like to see one up close.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:20 PM   #89

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Our two trailer convoy is set to leave Calgary on Jan 11 or 12. Looking at the weather forecast right now going over the Great Divide from Helena to Butte looks great, and then forecasting some snow for when we leave. Go figure. We will just have to take our time and deal with conditions as we go.

Last year going down this is the only area we hit snow storm with quite cold temps, shortly south of Butte it started getting nicer. Coming back last year though was sleet then snow from Salt Lake City all the way north. This year we do not have a set time to be home which will be nice.
WOW I'm impressed; driving down from Calgary this time of year. We are watching the weather and we are leaving from Dallas on Sunday.. Looking good so far.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
WOW I'm impressed; driving down from Calgary this time of year. We are watching the weather and we are leaving from Dallas on Sunday.. Looking good so far.
I take it then you are headed back to the Quartzsite rally again this year? See you there.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Anyone going to have a Bigfoot 21 at the Quartzsite rally this year? Would like to see one up close.
There were near 10 Bigfeet there last year, including at least one 21. I have no idea for certain that they will be back, but there is a very good chance.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #92

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
I take it then you are headed back to the Quartzsite rally again this year? See you there.
Yes, we are planning on arriving the Monday or Tuesday before the rally. We will probably park along the ridge again. We liked the view and the breeze.
We are looking forward to seeing you again!
Old 01-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #93

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Let's see now.... I am not planning to go to Mexico after Quartzsite but... if I was planning to go, I better have the following documents, etc., am I right?
  1. passports
  2. Mexican vehicle insurance we can buy at the border for $60
  3. Proof of ownership of the trailer (bill of sale).
  4. Proof of rabies vaccination, etc if we bring our dog.
  5. Bathing suits and a big inner tube. Electric assist bicycle with fat tires.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #94

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Not the bill of sale but an original of your state registration, sometimes the original title is asked for. Both for tow vehicle and trailer.

Insurance can be bought at the border, but it generally is much more than $60. AAA sells Mexican Insurance as does Lewis and Lewis on line, Sanbornes is at the border and you can also purchase it online.

At the 23 Km marker after the Nogales truck entrance (Mariposa crossing) you have to get a tourist card, max 180 days. This costs $23 or so. Then you need to get an import permit for your tow vehicle, based on age of the vehicle it can cost more than $500. This is fully refundable when you leave Mexico. Be sure to return that windshield certificate or you loose that deposit, and you will be barred from Mexico entry in the future. The tow vehicle is also allowed up to 180 days in Mexico. Finally, your trailer is imported, we had done this 25 years ago with a sailboat on a trailer. We have no recent knowledge of the costs of this certificate. RVs can be imported for 10 years. Personally, we would suggest bringing all vehicles out at the same time and returning all the import certificates.

We paid via a debit card when we entered for the vehicle import. We returned our vehicle import certificate back at Km 23 when exiting. By the time we re-entered the US, an hour or so later, our debit card was refunded the import fee.

The officials at Km 23 are not fluent in English, a tiny knowledge of Spanish is necessary. Mostly, "muchas gracias" and big smiles. Be polite, be thankful for help, be nice.

At least 3 copies of passports, state registration, insurance, titles are needed. Make copies prior to the border. Sometimes their copy machines are broken down. You pay for the copies made at Km 23, cost of copies is cheap, but their machines do break down.

Get Mexican funds before entering, maybe 1000 pesos, to cover the cost of toll roads. Toll booths do not accept $US nor $Can. There is a money exchange booth at Km 23.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #95

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
re: "get 3 copies of your passports..." ?? You mean make copies of the cover and each page in the passport book? Odd. Why would they want that?
Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #96

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Just copies of the face page, not the cover, not all the entry and exit pages, just your smiling face page For example when you re-enter the US at Miami International Airport you are required to scan your face page. Mexico requires a copy of this same face page. The face page has passport number, passport expiration date, date of birth, all sorts of stuff that you would rather not have to write down again.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #97

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17
What happened to the Quartzsite thread?
advdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by advdave View Post
Lookit that, it seems you found it.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #99

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Let's see now.... I am not planning to go to Mexico after Quartzsite but... if I was planning to go, I better have the following documents, etc., am I right?
  1. passports
  2. Mexican vehicle insurance we can buy at the border for $60
  3. Proof of ownership of the trailer (bill of sale).
  4. Proof of rabies vaccination, etc if we bring our dog.
  5. Bathing suits and a big inner tube. Electric assist bicycle with fat tires.
These items are only required if entering through N.M., Myron. Ca. has ‘Open Borders’ and free passage is encouraged.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #100

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by advdave View Post
I'll start a Baja 2019 thread later today.

Some of the requirements mentioned in this thread haven't been my experience.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote