2020 Western Winter Blast Fireworks, Lake Havasu City, AZ - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
2020 Western Winter Blast Fireworks, Lake Havasu City, AZ

I know it is early, but since the camping area usually fills by December, and they only hold the sites folks were in this year until July 31 before making them available to all, I wanted to post some information about the 2020 Western Winter Blast.

The SARA Rodeo Grounds provides a dry campsite (a marked section of a parking lot large enough to include your trailer & tow vehicle and reasonable space between sites, central water fill stations are available, and scheduled pump outs & propane available) for a week (Monday February 10th to Monday February 17th, 2020) with 4 evenings of fireworks, both individual samples & shows for 4 hours, Thursday - Sunday. If the Dome Rock Rally is scheduled at the usual dates, this will be the week after the rally.

Cost is a non refundable donation to the Rodeo of $150.00 for the week, plus $30.00 if you want to add the three barbecue dinners. They will try to get us together as a group if you put "Fiberglass" in the group field when registering. We had 5 trailers in the fiberglass group this year. More information & registration is at Havasu Rodeo & Events.

For those not interested in staying in the park, there is a BLM area across AZ 95 from the rodeo grounds that has a good view of the fireworks, however it is usually very packed.

I have a journal that includes links to lots of photos the 2019 event starting here.

Hope to see those interested at the event!
Old 02-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Nice stuff, Jon.
Attached Thumbnails
Havasu.jpg  
Old 03-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
We registered and paid our money. Last year we waited until Oct to register and all the sites were full.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #4

If you are still considering attending the week long fireworks the week after the dome rock rally at Quartzsite, there are only 45 spaces left. If you wish to join us, be sure to put Fiberglass in the group field in your reservation.

So far there are 5 of us...
Old 07-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
Who do you contact and how close together are the trailers. Where do they shoot off the fireworks?
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #6

There is a link for registration in the original post.

The fireworks are fired from a couple of sites. The primary site is the Rodeo grandstand a short distance across a field from the camping area. There is an open view from the RVs in the front row, and space to set up chairs to watch if your RV is further back in the parking lot.

The RV sites are just sections of the rodeo ground's parking lot. Each site is about 20' X 40'.

I have a link to more photos of the event here, and here is a photo of my site last year:
Attached Thumbnails
_JRV1187.jpg  
Old 07-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Reminds me Jon of the Boler 50th although it appears the sites are bigger
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Sorry Jon, I have to say this.

Here is a link to the 31st Annual Western Winter Blast website.
https://www.golakehavasu.com/western...otechnics-show

I went last year and stayed at the Lake Havasu City Rodeo Grounds. I enjoyed Jon and friend's company but to be honest, to do it over I would have stayed at one of the BLM sites near the fireworks and payed the $5 a night fee to set at the show bleachers. The Rodeo Grounds has good showers and access to water but no dump stations, you are surrounded by huge RVs running their generators, and is too far from the fireworks to see everything. A good number of the firework displays were hidden from view from our location in the Lake Havasu City Rodeo Grounds - you miss all the ground firework displays ( easily half the display) and the sound effects.

Here are some BLM sites for boondocking at Lake Havasu.
https://freecampsites.net/#!97011&query=sitedetails

Here is the view from the bleachers from last year

Old 07-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #9

Are the generators allowed all night?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Kathy View Post
I don't know since I don't have one. I doubt there would be problem running one until after the fireworks end around 11:00, but I don't think your neighbors would be happy with running one all night.

As to the viewing location, I agree with tif-texas that the grandstand is a much better location for watching the fireworks, as is the BLM area directly across form the grandstand, however that BLM area was more crowded than the rodeo grounds. It is a long walk from the camping area to the grandstand, but an even longer drive - the traffic backs up & they close down the roads in on Saturday night.

Either location provides just about all the fireworks one would want...
Old 07-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Kathy View Post
No, but the 40' RV that parked behind me came in late and then ran a commercial (ie. loud) generator until 4am. I doubt that happens often but it did happen while we were there.

The good part of being at the Rodeo Fairgrounds was spending time with Jon and friends up on the hill with a propane fire pit watching the fireworks go off in the distance. If you haven't been to the Lake Havasu fireworks show before, it is definitely worth the trip!
Old 07-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
No, but the 40' RV that parked behind me came in late and then ran a commercial (ie. loud) generator until 4am. I doubt that happens often but it did happen while we were there.

The good part of being at the Rodeo Fairgrounds was spending time with Jon and friends up on the hill with a propane fire pit watching the fireworks go off in the distance. If you haven't been to the Lake Havasu fireworks show before, it is definitely worth the trip!
Now that you mention it, I do remember that guy! Seems like he dit it more than one night.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #13

We do not us a generator either, they are too annoying. We just booked into the rodeo grounds and requested the fiberglass group. We are picking up our escape 5 TA in Aug so looking forward to hitting the road. Will do some fall trips and then home for Christmas and then leave home in BC in mid Jan and head south for 4 months. Looking forward to meeting some fellow Escape owners.

Greg and Kathy
Old 07-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Thanks tdf-Texas for that candid viewpoint. Would much rather come & go from the show.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #15

We currently have 9 trailers in the "Fiberglass" group for the week. There are only 10 sites left -if you are interested, now is the time!