Alaska 2018 ? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Hi Tom,

We would like to explore going there after the rally. Is Jun and July the best time to visit?
We were in Fairbanks on the longest day of the year. Haven't gone to bed while it's still bright daylight outside since I was a little kid. Took a bit of getting used to.
Weather was very warm and very sunny.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Don't give reservations a second thought. Yukon has plentiful, inexpensive and good campsites and in Alaska you can pretty much camp where you want. The only exception is Denali. We couldn't get a campsite in the park but we left the trailer in the visitor's information parking lot and took the day long bus trip into the park. Couldn't see Mt. McKinley because of cloud, not unusual. Went down the highway and stopped at a rest/campsite area, $10 a night. Clouds cleared and we got a great view of the elusive mountain.
+10 I showed up at Denali in July 2014 hoping to get a campsite. Sites were reserved months in advance. So I continued down the road. About ten miles south of there is Denali State Park. Camping is more like a rest area, but it was cheap, and empty. And had a great view of the same mountain.

I was tent camping that trip, so finding camping was pretty easy other than Denali. Hotels were a different matter. They filled up early.

I would like to go back to AK in 2018, June or July most likely. But we would be driving most days. While the highway is "paved" its chip and seal. And at least back in 2014, seemed like they neglected to add much seal. You would see a sign ahead, "Extremely Dusty Conditions Ahead" or something like that. It would be a newly paved section, where apparently they counted on traffic to compress the top layer of gravel. The trip up I saw two or three "pilot car" sections, thats where the construction was active. On the trip back down, I saw at least six pilot car sections. Some of those were pretty rough (you notice it more on a motorcycle which was my mode of travel on that trip).

Highlight of my trip was camping in Homer, on the Spit. Surprising to me, Homer was bug free (the rest of the trip was very buggy).

We did the Cassiar Highway back in 2002, I would consider it much more scenic than the main Alcan route.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Since there were a few who said 2019 would be better for them let's look at that as a possibility after the Escape rally for then. As much as we would love to go to Osoyoos next year, with our trip this winter to AL/GA and the "big" trip to the Boler 50th, just kidding of course, I cannot see us doing BC in 2018, but 2019 for sure. Adding Alaska would be a definite possibility. Apparently our Escape made its initial voyage from Chilliwack to Alaska ten years ago.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #44

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
2019 would be better for us. Too much going on in 2018.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #45
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Is there a difference between Denali National and State parks? From what I can see, none of the RV capable campgrounds in the state park allows reservation. How's cell data LTE connection at the campgrounds?
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Since there were a few who said 2019 would be better for them let's look at that as a possibility after the Escape rally for then. As much as we would love to go to Osoyoos next year, with our trip this winter to AL/GA and the "big" trip to the Boler 50th, just kidding of course, I cannot see us doing BC in 2018, but 2019 for sure. Adding Alaska would be a definite possibility. Apparently our Escape made its initial voyage from Chilliwack to Alaska ten years ago.

Adrian
Yeah, it won't be until at least 2019 for us either. Too much other stuff on the go, including the Boler 50th. Boy Adrian, that is sure going to be one heck of a monumental trip for you to head to Winnipeg, eh?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Is there a difference between Denali National and State parks?
Yes, the only way deep into Denali is by bus tour unless you manage to get one of the campsites located deep into the park. You are then allowed to drive in on a road that is closed to the general public.

Denali also has a campground area at the park entrance but it's usually full up.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I would like to echo an earlier statement that I wouldn't worry about traveling solo to AK in the summer, there are plenty of facilities and other people on the road. As for the route to AK, I have never driven the Cassiar as I would never want to miss Laird Hot Springs. If you have the time coming up through Bannf and Jasper is a great way to go. Most of the wildlife during our trips have been in the Jasper area. Great city campground with hookups just outside of town in Bannf.

Dawson City (not to be confused with Dawson Creek) is one of our favorite destinations and as also mentioned, the Top of the World highway is amazing but road conditions can be iffy near the US border if it has been raining hard for a few days.

Anchorage is not much of a destination in itself but more of a hub to head towards the Kenai pennisula or up north towards Denali Park and Fairbanks.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Is there a difference between Denali National and State parks? From what I can see, none of the RV capable campgrounds in the state park allows reservation. How's cell data LTE connection at the campgrounds?
The 4G LTE connections was better than I expected all over Alaska, but we stuck to main roads. Sometimes between towns it would give out for a while, but in general, I was impressed.

Denali national park is where most of the main "stuff" is. There is a campground near the entrance (perhaps multiple) and then at least one farther in. Obviously they are in high demand during peak season, but we got in by reserving well in advance.

Denali state park was just outside the national park. We stayed in one of these for just one night because we arrived a little early with no reservations for that night. There were some nice lakes and nearby views of Denali, but you are obviously outside the national park and farther from its main attractions.

We had beautiful weather (sort of rare). Watch out for the bears

Eric

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5855.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	28165
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
Dawson City (not to be confused with Dawson Creek) is one of our favorite destinations and as also mentioned, the Top of the World highway is amazing but road conditions can be iffy near the US border if it has been raining hard for a few days..
Funny I should read this right after this write up with photo about Dawson City was posted on facebook by Canadian Geographic Travel. Destiny must be saying I need to go.

https://www.facebook.com/cangeotrave...799742534907:0

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
2019 is fine with me also but I still intend to do a big loop in BC after the 2018 rally. Laird Hot Springs is a consideration. Haven't planned anything yet, other than taking couple weeks getting to the rally.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #52

Dawson City has such a great vibe in the summer, I'm surprised how many of my friends up here have not been. We usually do the "klondike loop" and go over the top of the world to Daswon and then come back via Highway 2.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #53

If not already mentioned, make sure to get a "Milepost" book for a trip to Alaska. It is a great source of highway information including where turnouts are, litter barrels and basic community information along the drive.

As to Denali Park, there is Riley Creek Campground (NPS) at the entrance and it is usually full once peak season hits around the 2nd week in June until late August. Just outside the park boundary there sits "Glitter Gulch" where most of the hotels, restaurants and gift shops are (no rv parks there but some further north in Healy). If you go to Denali Park you will want to ride into the park on a shuttle bus. The trip to Wonder lake is long but the scenery is amazing, especially on a sunny day when Denali is visible. The park has a nice visitor center, cafeteria, coffee shop and book store a short walk from the train station. Also very nice dump station with potable water is near the park entrance and there was no charge to use last year.

As to the weather, June and July are the best months and August and September tend to be far wetter. We had a very wet and cloudy summer this year in Southeast and there were few sunny days. The pacific NW hogged all the sun I think, but on the plus side we had virtually no smoke from fires this summer.

If you do come to AK and want to ride on the Alaska Railroad, message me and I can give you plenty of info and ideas as I've worked there since 1988.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
I am definitely interested and will be following this thread - on my list....
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #55

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We are interested as well.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #56
LJY

Quote:
If not already mentioned, make sure to get a "Milepost" book for a trip to Alaska. It is a great source of highway information including where turnouts are, litter barrels and basic community information along the drive.

As to Denali Park, there is Riley Creek Campground (NPS) at the entrance and it is usually full once peak season hits around the 2nd week in June until late August. Just outside the park boundary there sits "Glitter Gulch" where most of the hotels, restaurants and gift shops are (no rv parks there but some further north in Healy). If you go to Denali Park you will want to ride into the park on a shuttle bus. The trip to Wonder lake is long but the scenery is amazing, especially on a sunny day when Denali is visible. The park has a nice visitor center, cafeteria, coffee shop and book store a short walk from the train station. Also very nice dump station with potable water is near the park entrance and there was no charge to use last year.

As to the weather, June and July are the best months and August and September tend to be far wetter. We had a very wet and cloudy summer this year in Southeast and there were few sunny days. The pacific NW hogged all the sun I think, but on the plus side we had virtually no smoke from fires this summer.

If you do come to AK and want to ride on the Alaska Railroad, message me and I can give you plenty of info and ideas as I've worked there since 1988.
Don't laugh, but are there any sites with full hookups?
Old 11-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #57

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I'm also interested. 2019 would work better for me.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:01 AM   #58

No hookups in any sites at Denali park. About 8 miles north of the park entrance there is a rv park with hookups. Denali RV park is the name I believe...
Old 11-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #59

Trailer: Escape 2017 19
Alaska 2018

Hello,

We are interested in tagging along on the Alaska 2018 road trip. Keep us posted on route info and timelines.

Dave & Kim
dkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #60
LJY

Quote:
No hookups in any sites at Denali park. About 8 miles north of the park entrance there is a rv park with hookups. Denali RV park is the name I believe...
Thanks for this.
Is 2 weeks stay pretty adequate?

Anyone else interested for a group rate?