Alaska 2018 ? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #81

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
We just completed a round trip from Anchorage to Chilliwack on the AK highway both directions and came back through Banff and Jasper with an F150 and 5.0TA (return leg).

The AK highway had a fair number of gravel patches that I assume were going to be chip sealed later but it is mostly a good asphalt surface. They were dusty/muddy but otherwise in good condition and were not than long. The chip seal areas are used to minimize heat transfer from the road surface to the permafrost below. It works well but as said above they can seem almost like a gravel road still when freshly sealed.

North of Burwash landing and continuing through to Tok, there are numerous areas of frost heaves and other damage but they are normally marked with cones or flags and we slow way down for them when towing. The Tok cutoff is one of our worst roads in AK currently and about 50% of the road has no shoulder and plenty of damaged surface. The other half of that road is very good. I'm mentioning that one since so may visitors to the state utilize it (but it can be bypassed). We went through areas of pilot cars on every highway number we traveled on this summer I think, but had no delays of significance.

As to vehicle capabilities, anything that gets you around with your trailer in the lower 48 will work fine. We don't have many mountain roads in AK and passes are mild to moderate as to elevation and grade unless you are driving the Dalton Highway which is still less than 5000 feet at its highest point.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #82

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Just arrived this afternoon in Fairbanks. I must say Alcan road conditions were excellent, particularly compared to my 2014 experience. I kept waiting for the road to end and a diversion into the culvert like happened in 2014. Nope, didn’t see it. There were three or four pilot car sections, nothing really bad. Some loose gravel (not much) andtypical fips in the road (well marked, slow down!). I’ve been on much worse roads in the lower 48.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #83

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Thanks for posting about your adventures. It would be fun to get a group together to take a 'road trip' up into Alaska.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:02 PM   #84

I am a Canadian who thinks of a gun as a tool.
When I lived in the Yukon I taught firearm safety, how to properly use a rifle, or a hand gun.
How to fire your first shot from a Remington 870 in three seconds.
Why do I tell you this!

People in Alaska generally are very good with guns, I helped around fifty of my Alaskan Freinds obtain a Canadian Possession Aquisition Licence.

The reason for an Alskan, coming out through Canada, or people from the South going North, you have less hassle, taking your long guns or hand guns at the border.

Prior to your trip, you requhhhn h ( hung gun est, from the Canadian Fire Arms Centre, an Authorization to transport your firearms through Canada.
You explain the purpose of your trip, how many days you will be in Canada.
The Authorization can be emailed, you print off a hard copy, to present to the Canadian Customs when you arrive at the border, along with your P.A.L, Posession Aquisition License.

The P.A.L also allows the holder to purchase firearms and ammunition while in Canada.

To obtain a P.A.L you an attend a Canadian Fire Arms Course, or you can challenge the test.
I would advise purchasing the training manuals, the long gun manual, and the restricted (handgun) manual, for a read prior to the challenge.

I have been told by one person, the P.A.L is better than a passport.
It simply means you have been through a police check, and do not have a record of firearms violence attached to your name.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #85

I should preview my post befor posting.prior to your trip.request an (Authorization to Transport ) your firearms from the Canadian Firearms Centre.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #86

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
While we were camping in Oregon recently, we met a couple who had just returned from a three month trip through Canada and Alaska, all sponsored by Fantasy RV Tours (https://www.fantasyrvtours.com/), a company that specializes in setting up 'caravan' tours. She said they set up the entire tour (reservations, sightseeing, etc.) and even took care of one rig that had broken down. Honestly, the way she went on and on about how wonderful the trip and tour company were, one might have thought she worked for them (she didn't ... ). Anyway, I contacted the company and they're sending me an information packet. The representative said they work with every type of RV owner (diesel-pushers, vans, travel trailers of all sizes, etc.). Maybe something to think about if people want to travel in a group on a northwest tour ... an Escape Caravan.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #87

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
We just returned from three months in Canada and Alaska (June, July, and August). It was absolutely terrific. No reservations were made except for Denali, and we'd do it the same next time. We had a general idea about what our path would be and then relied on locals to suggest specific destinations. We went solo and have zero regrets. Don't worry about roads or anything else. Just take it as it comes and you'll have the time of your lives.

Concerning firearms in Canada, we brought a shotgun but never took it out of storage from under the bed. It's easy to do. All the instructions are online. Just make sure the barrel length is over 18 1/2 inches, the shotshell capacity is 5 or less (if I remember correctly), you have a trigger lock, it's unloaded and the shotshells are stored separately from the shotgun. Get your permit signed when you first cross the border and you're set. It's that easy.

The biggest advantage to travelling with a shotgun is how easy it makes it when you cross back over the Canadian border from time to time in your travels. "Good morning. Do you have any weapons?" "Yes, a shotgun." "Do you have a permit?" "Yes." "May I see it?" "Sure." The border inspector looks at the permit, smiles, and wishes you a good day. No questions about meat or vegetables. No questions about dog food. No questions about dog vaccinations. No questions about a Canadian endorsement for your auto insurance. Nothing. He or she has done their job.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #88

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Jeff and Karen... Good info!!! Sounds like it wasn't "A shot in the dark". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #89

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
No questions about dog food. No questions about dog vaccinations. No questions about a Canadian endorsement for your auto insurance. Nothing. He or she has done their job.
Ha-ha, not always. On one of our back and forth crossings they also asked about eggs. Suddenly eggs weren't permitted and into the freezer for destruction they went.

I agree, travelling in Alaska isn't any more difficult than other areas and the need to travel in a convoy is low.

We also have the same general rules as Americans do in Canada about firearms. Get a state hunting license, any state, and an ATF permit and we're good to go also. Easy to do, don't know why more folks don't just do the paperwork and avoid stepping in the doo-doo.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote