Alaska 2018 ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Alaska 2018 ?

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone is planning or interested in going up to Anchorage Alaska next year?
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Bin-there done n'that twice, loved it .
Tag up with some one and just Go.
Or do it solo . The people up North are so friendly you really wont know you solo .
Really...
Old 06-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Be sure to visit Homer when you are in Anchorage. Its relatively close, its the end of the road. I camped out on the spit, it was great (and surprising to me, bug free!!)

Also, if you go to Denali, I couldn't get camping at the National Park (booked months in advance). But about ten miles down the road you come to Denali State Park. Very basic camping, but it was cheap, and it is looking at the same mountain. Empty too!
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hello Everyone,
I live in Juneau, Alaska and I'd like to encourage anyone interested in exploring Alaska to come North in 2018. Would suggest coming North after the Rally. Anyone interested? I'll try to help with your plans ... I haven't traveled to Alaska interior much but do know Southeast Alaska quite well... its the best anyway. Oh Oh! I could be in trouble for that last comment.

Lets start a thread for Alaska 2018.

Tom
Old 06-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #5

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I can't make it in 2018, but I'll follow this thread with great anticipation. Alaska is definitely in my future plans.

Enjoy!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Just throwing it out there to see if anyone is planning or interested in going up to Anchorage Alaska next year?
Just plan it, and they will come.

Not certain when, but heading to Alaska for a few months is definitely on our must do list. We did do a 2 week trip in the southeast part, including a one week yacht trip and a night out with Tom, but definitely want to go back with our trailer. Taking it on the Marine Highway is also a consideration, camping for a bit at every port, just have to weight out the costs involved.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
We've been talking about such a trip for quiet a while. If all the variables in life came into alignment, we'd be interested.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
We too will be following this thread with great anticipation. Probably not in the cards for us in 2018, maybe 2019....

Paul & Denise
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I wish I could say absolutely yes, but probably not in 2018 for me, either.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We bought the trailer to do the bucket list of which the main one is a trip to Alaska. But Cathy has to get fully retired first plus her mother is slowly failing in the nursing home. As of now I hope it is 2019 to Alaska. To take a trip with no time frame of when you have to be back has got to be the ultimate. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I can say possibly yes and after the 2018 Escape Customer Appreciation Rally would be a very good time to start an Alaska trip as I will be going to the rally. The completion date for my 5.0TA is this July 6 and my orientation date is the 10th. I am planning to spend three or more weeks on a shakedown cruise in Washington and BC before heading back to Colorado.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
If we went to Alaska again, I'd be very tempted to bite the bullet and take the Ferry. Expensive but the drive through BC and the Yukon is long. Maybe drive one way and Ferry the other. Has anyone taken the Ferry this far with an Escape?

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One thing to consider is the 50th anniversary Boler rally is in August next year.

I like the idea of a rally a few weeks after the 2019 Escape Rally.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
If we went to Alaska again, I'd be very tempted to bite the bullet and take the Ferry. Expensive but the drive through BC and the Yukon is long. Maybe drive one way and Ferry the other. Has anyone taken the Ferry this far with an Escape?

Thanks.
I have thought about taking the Skagway to Prince Rupert section of the Alaska Marine Highway system as part of the drive back. The online system seems to limit you to 30 ft. in length though. Not sure if I was using it correctly and I haven't verified anything. 30 ft. is the longest it would let me enter for the price. The Anchorage to Bellingham is way to expensive, I could book several Alaska cruises for that price.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post

Thanks.
Maybe you can convince Congress to build a bridge over BC and the Yukon.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Maybe you can convince Congress to build a bridge over BC and the Yukon.
Only if they use American Steel! Canadian concrete would be OK though.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
Hello

I will be going full time as soon as I sell some property and have thought I would love to go to Alaska. I just wasn't sure I wanted to do it alone. I would definitely be interested in joining you or a group.
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
The drive from Skagway to Seattle takes three long days or four or five casual ones. I drove the Cassier twice last year and my wife just drove in three days last week. The drive through Bamff and Jasper is a great way to go as well. I am not retired yet and I drive the highway fairly often. I am going to drive to Montana to pick up our Escape in two weeks. I have no idea how much a ferry ticket would cost from Bellingham, but it would be expensive. Just watch out for the big rigs barreling through construction zones. Best to have zero deductible comprehensive insurance to replace your windshield, it's cheap. It really is a beautiful drive and if you take the Cassier don't miss having one of the burgers at Bell 2. Heck, Laird Hot Springs makes the drive worth it, but you have to take the Alaskan highway instead of the Cassier.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:40 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hi Eric,
I think you are thinking of Prince Rupert. The drive between Seattle and Prince Rupert is close to 1000 miles. The drive between Seattle and Skagway (top end of Southeast Alaska) is around 2350 miles.

Both are great drives with good (enough) roads. Maybe I'll rattle on in future posts about driving up here.

In May early I took the Alaska Ferry from Bellingham, Washington to Juneau. That ferry takes about 3 days and I find it to be very relaxing but it is expensive. .... how many times in your lifetime will you do this trip (rationalization ... I know)? My fee was about $1500.00 US for myself and vehicle .... no trailer one way. There are cabins available for families or individuals for extra. I prefer though to camp out (free) on the Solarium deck where there are 'flat folding' lounge chairs. When you can get onboard held up to the Solarium Deck and stake out your "campsite" and reserve your lounge chair with your camp pad and sleeping bag. Then move up the rest of you stuff. I like camping on deck (its covered with infared heaters in the ceiling) because you'll be camping with a lot of other young people who frequently bring musical instruments and evenings are frequently filled with guitars and singing- not always in English as it can be a fun international mix. You are not allowed to sleep to sleep in your camper .... every 4 hours, weather permitting they have a dog walk period on the auto deck.

Each ship is a little different but there is a galley where you can get hot food and sit down to eat. While not gormet its passable and filling and tastes good. I usually bring along a stewardess style hand truck with a cooler (to save on food costs) and my sleeping gear on top. The cooler is usually packed with breakfast and lunch fixin's ... then I splurge on a nice dinner.

Tomorrow, I'll get some prices and post more ...

Hold that thought ...... more tomorrow

Tom
Old 06-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I wouldn't make doing it dependent on having other folks with you. It's easy to do solo. I'd recommend a cell phone booster. We found ours very handy on some stretches.

Take the top of the world highway, It's worth it.

We drove up and took the ferry to Prince Rupert back. Seemed like a good compromise to driving both ways and you get to visit places only accessible by water.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote