Can we bring fresh eggs across the border? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
arniesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Posts: 767
Can we bring fresh eggs across the border?

We have chickens and want to bring some of our eggs with us to the Rally. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is one of the most confusing web sites I have ever encountered for getting questions answered. I have read conflicting information on different drill down links trying determine if we can bring our eggs for personal use.

Anyone have first hand experience with bringing fresh eggs from the US to Canada?
__________________

__________________
- Arnie & Paula
- Kizzy the rat terrier
- 2019 5.0 TA, 2017 Tundra Platinum.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BCnomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: O town, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Posts: 1,470
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
We have chickens and want to bring some of our eggs with us to the Rally. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is one of the most confusing web sites I have ever encountered for getting questions answered. I have read conflicting information on different drill down links trying determine if we can bring our eggs for personal use.

Anyone have first hand experience with bringing fresh eggs from the US to Canada?

My two cents: wash them really well, no "soil" on them at all. List them as one of your fridge items on your list that you may offer to the border guard on crossing. That is truly the only person that could give you a straight answer for that day.


Edit: commercial eggs are rarely a problem unless there is an outbreak somewhere. I apologize for not knowing about farmer fresh eggs.
__________________

BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
sunrisetrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nanaimo Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Posts: 324
My experience is to not bring anything fresh across the boarder,.
__________________
Like a lot of fellows, I have a furniture problem. My chest has fallen into my drawers
"Billy Casper"
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Hertel, Wisconsin
Trailer: TBD
Posts: 2,001
Yes , just put your farm fresh eggs in a commercial egg carton and the border guards won't know which chickens they came from and they probably don't care
We have never been questioned about eggs and only rarely about certain meat products and fresh produce and fruit.
The Canadian border guards seem much more interested in tobacco , alcohol and firearms than what your breakfast or dinner menu is . We will be making our 38th fishing trip to Canada in June and we have never had one food item confiscated
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,207
My most interesting border crossing from the US into Canada fresh fruit problem was on US 97 when heading to Osoyoos in 2014. They took my Canadian Blueberries. Since they didn't give me any grief a few months earlier at Niagara Falls with California berries, I thought I could take advantage of a sale in the US. They had me put them in a freezer - maybe someone wanted to make a pie!
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
SpokanEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Spokane, Washington
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
We have chickens and want to bring some of our eggs with us to the Rally. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is one of the most confusing web sites I have ever encountered for getting questions answered. I have read conflicting information on different drill down links trying determine if we can bring our eggs for personal use.

Anyone have first hand experience with bringing fresh eggs from the US to Canada?
We had to pitch some chicken and eggs prior to crossing because of an avian flu outbreak a couple of years ago - it looks as if the avian flu outbreak is confined to Indiana for now. However it appears you can't bring in fresh uncooked poultry so I wouldn't be surprised if eggs aren't allowed. But I'm not sure since the Canadian Food Inspection agency site is so confusing! We plan to purchase our milk, eggs, and butter in Osoyoos. We are bringing some cheese and some cooked deli turkey meat in the original package. Fruits and vegetables are also purchased in Osoyoos because of some specific restrictions on importing from Washington to BC.

Since these rules are in place to protect the Canadian food supply we err on the side of caution and scrupulous honesty.

Time to go check the amount of alcohol we can bring across....
__________________
Jan and Paul
"Le Bon Oeuf"
SpokanEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Somewhere, Florida
Trailer: 1804 Schooner
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
We had to pitch some chicken and eggs prior to crossing because of an avian flu outbreak a couple of years ago - it looks as if the avian flu outbreak is confined to Indiana for now. However it appears you can't bring in fresh uncooked poultry so I wouldn't be surprised if eggs aren't allowed. But I'm not sure since the Canadian Food Inspection agency site is so confusing! We plan to purchase our milk, eggs, and butter in Osoyoos. We are bringing some cheese and some cooked deli turkey meat in the original package. Fruits and vegetables are also purchased in Osoyoos because of some specific restrictions on importing from Washington to BC.

Since these rules are in place to protect the Canadian food supply we err on the side of caution and scrupulous honesty.

Time to go check the amount of alcohol we can bring across....
Sorry, but excuse me while I laugh, as we all know that there is a force field at the border which will keep microbes and viruses from crossing, so it is extremely important that border guards on either side stop certain items. That's why if there is a flu outbreak in British Columbia nobody gets sick in the State of Washington. Some of these restrictions.......what a crock!
__________________
“Quoth the Raven, ‘Nevermore’......” E. A. Poe
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
That's why if there is a flu outbreak in British Columbia nobody gets sick in the State of Washington. Some of these restrictions.......what a crock!
Well, if you were a chicken farmer and you had to kill 40,000 of your chickens because of an avian flu outbreak, you'd be concerned too.
I entered a turkey barn once to shoot pix for a story on avian flu. Had to put on full disposable coveralls and walk through a disinfectant pool before going into the secure site.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Sorry, but excuse me while I laugh, as we all know that there is a force field at the border which will keep microbes and viruses from crossing...
There are force fields: they are called "Canadian Border Services Agency" and "U.S. Customs and Border Protection". Since the subject microbes and viruses are unable to walk or fly through the air by themselves (over all that open border), localized "force fields" at entry stations on highways and at airports work by stopping the carrier products from crossing in those locations.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
SpokanEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Spokane, Washington
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Posts: 460
Carl - check out the CDC website for more information about the LPAI virus found in wild birds and the HPAI virus found in commercial poultry flocks. Containment of HPAI virus is important to prevent transmission to humans since respiratory illnesses have the potential to cause pandemics. Public health is another important "force field" to protect human health.
__________________

__________________
Jan and Paul
"Le Bon Oeuf"
SpokanEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.