Escape upper midwest get together - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Escape upper midwest get together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
Leon, A MN/WI/IA get together would be fun. I bet you are getting real anxious to pickup your Skylark! We will be up north for a week at the end of September and early October and are hoping for some nice fall colors.

Have a fun trip!

John and Brenda

HI john, Eric, Adrian and others....

I don't want to hijack the "Its Friday!" thread any more than it gets hijacked already so I started this discussion over here.

I think it would be great to get together with some other Escape Owners. Lindy and I won't be back to MN until the 20th of October, but if folks want to get together after then, it would be fine with us. Do you think that Oct. 31 to Nov 2nd would be too late? We could meet someplace further south, along the river. I am thinking of Merrick State Park, or someplace like that. It is a bit late, but hey we all have a furnace and know how to start a camp fire.

Another alternative is to latch on the spring egg fest that happens every year. I don't know much about it, but there seems to be a gathering of the eggs in the spring and the fall. For the last couple of years they were in Taylor's Falls in Sept -- I ran into them when I was on a bike ride and stopped at the Drive-in. I looked over on FGRV and it looks like they were at Mille Lacs Kathio state park last spring. But I have been thinking of going to it for a couple of years. It just didn't match up with our other activities. But I think it would be fun to see other kinds of trailers.

Adrian, of course you are welcome! I freely admit to being a "canuk-ophile"

In any event, lets do something either this fall or next spring.

Leon
LeonW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #2

Oops. Lindy just reminded me that we have theater tickets for nov 1. So maybe best to wait until spring. Of course, you guys could get together this fall and we could all gather in the spring too....
Old 09-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Leon - sounds very much like an interaction between Mary and I - except it usually a contains an " I told you about that date weeks ago!"

A get together sounds like a lot of fun and there are so many great places to choose from. I'm always pushing our Driftless Region, but we love visiting everywhere from the UP, to the North Shore, Northern Highlands State Forest to Wyalusing.

I mention Northern Highland as we have found an amazing campground there - Big Lake. It is on a beautiful lake for canoeing, kayaking and fishing and it far enough away from the tourist towns that it has about a 15% usage rate. The last night of our trip there in August it was us and the campground host as the only campers in the entire 60+ site campground. I'll share it here - but don't tell too many people about it! LOL

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Leon

Glad that the fall gathering might not happen but spring for us would be great, I would recommend the North Shore myself, but not too early, Lake Superior keeps things pretty cool. It's handy for us as we have family in Thunder Bay so could do a circle trip.

Big Lake in Northern Highlands sounds intriguing as well, not too far from Ironwood which we know as well.

Now there's an Eastern Escape rally, we can perhaps start our own centre of the continent rally There are other Manitobans who have Escapes we could invite.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Leon - sounds very much like an interaction between Mary and I - except it usually a contains an " I told you about that date weeks ago!"

A get together sounds like a lot of fun and there are so many great places to choose from. I'm always pushing our Driftless Region, but we love visiting everywhere from the UP, to the North Shore, Northern Highlands State Forest to Wyalusing.

I mention Northern Highland as we have found an amazing campground there - Big Lake. It is on a beautiful lake for canoeing, kayaking and fishing and it far enough away from the tourist towns that it has about a 15% usage rate. The last night of our trip there in August it was us and the campground host as the only campers in the entire 60+ site campground. I'll share it here - but don't tell too many people about it! LOL
Well there may have been a comment or two about my failing memory. So let's pick a date in May and plan on heading up to Big Lake Campground in Northern Highland State Forest. John and Adrian and others would that work for you? Anybody else in?
Old 09-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
That should work for us as long as it is not Memorial Day weekend. In fact, the earlier in May the better. Too bad we have a long winter in between.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Hi guys, just remembered we may have a medical operation booked in May which would not let us come depending on the date, but otherwise yes. Big Lake sounds good even though it's 500 miles away for us, we'd have to stop somewhere on the way, but then being retired we don't have to worry about hurrying.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
The campground host said one thing that will start next year is that Big Lake sites will be reservable - hoping that that will boost usage.

I forgot to mention that there is a new beautiful paved bike trail in the Northern Highland area now too. http://boulderjct.org/maps/HeartOfVilas.pdf
Apparently it was funded by several of the towns along it. We were quite surprised when we first saw it, looks like quite an expensive project.

One consideration is that May can sometimes be very buggy in the north woods.

Here are a couple of picture from our campsite - the lake is down the slope behind us. The morning we were leaving an immature bald eagle was sitting in a tree not far below our site.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0212.jpg   DSCN0275.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
All these plans sound great. I spend much time near Big Lake and agree with Eric on the bike trail, eagles and Mosquitos. Several years ago I stayed at a Corp of Engineers campground on the Mississippi that was being used by a caravan of trailer owners. It was Fisherman's Corner near the Quad Cities. There are several other COE sites north of there including Savanna -Thomson Causeway and Potosi - Grants River.

The advantage the southerly locations offer is the opportunity for Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and related states to have an easier travel. I guess I think of this being the Mississippi River Escape Owners. Somehow I see Dubuque as the center of a lot of Escape owners that I know or have corresponded with.

With all this said there is still the opportunity to join with the Scamp owners and attend Scamp Camp. I had the pleasure of attend their Duluth get together and they would be a great group to join. Tony Nowak hosted the Eggs at Egg Harbor this last June. He has told me of plans to hold it again in Door County in early September 2015.

I would be willing to assist in collecting names and email addresses of potential attendees. We could poll the group to find the best fit. If you would send me a personal message with your email address I could start that collection process.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #10

Thanks Paul!! You have mine already please put us on the list for info.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #11

Thanks Paul. I am sending you an message with my personal email.

Leon
Old 09-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21
We would be up for attending a gathering depending on how far it is from us. Given that we both are still working, it is hard to get to far on a Friday night after work. But put us on the list! I will email you, Paul.
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
All these plans sound great. I spend much time near Big Lake and agree with Eric on the bike trail, eagles and Mosquitos. Several years ago I stayed at a Corp of Engineers campground on the Mississippi that was being used by a caravan of trailer owners. It was Fisherman's Corner near the Quad Cities. There are several other COE sites north of there including Savanna -Thomson Causeway and Potosi - Grants River.

The advantage the southerly locations offer is the opportunity for Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and related states to have an easier travel. I guess I think of this being the Mississippi River Escape Owners. Somehow I see Dubuque as the center of a lot of Escape owners that I know or have corresponded with.

With all this said there is still the opportunity to join with the Scamp owners and attend Scamp Camp. I had the pleasure of attend their Duluth get together and they would be a great group to join. Tony Nowak hosted the Eggs at Egg Harbor this last June. He has told me of plans to hold it again in Door County in early September 2015.

I would be willing to assist in collecting names and email addresses of potential attendees. We could poll the group to find the best fit. If you would send me a personal message with your email address I could start that collection process.

Yes, Paul, I think the north is covered and a more southerly get-together would be good. On the Mississippi would be nice if there were a good campground. (We were at Egg Harbor when that get-together was happening but did not know about it. Would like to have gone. There are also the already-mentioned egg rallies in Minnesota.) There are the western Illinois Escape owners and a couple in Missouri and three 19's now in Iowa with a 5.0 being picked up this month. No telling who would attend, of course.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
... There are several other COE sites north of there including Savanna -Thomson Causeway and Potosi - Grants River.....
Potosi has the brewery and brew museum too! Potosi Brewing Company

Old 09-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
"With all this said there is still the opportunity to join with the Scamp owners and attend Scamp Camp. I had the pleasure of attend their Duluth get together and they would be a great group to join. Tony Nowak hosted the Eggs at Egg Harbor this last June. He has told me of plans to hold it again in Door County in early September 2015."-per Paul Braun

To clarify, we were thinking of Sept. 2015 but there may be a delay to 2016. Depends on what we find out at Taylor's Falls event next week, all molded fiberglass folks are welcome as we would love to see some Escapes and meet new folks. Our rallies are posted on FGRV and also known as "Scrambled Eggs". I will update this site about our future plans.
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #16

Tony, As I recall, there is a very nice state park, not too far from Mt. Horeb. I don't mean Blue Mound, but Yellowstone Lake.. I thought it was very pretty, and not too far from Mineral Point.

From the discussion here, it seems like some place in Southern Wisconsin / Northern Illinois / Iowa make work well. It would be nice if there were something else to do in the area -- like a couple of wineries or breweries. Southern Wi. has some interesting little towns like Mt. Horeb (is the mustard museum still there?), New Glarus, Spring Green, etc.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Yes Leon Yellowstone Lake is very nice but as with all WI state parks one can not reserve a whole loop, everyone would have to arrange their own reservation. So that makes it difficult. There will be a molded fiberglass rally next June near Lansboro MN.
I'll provide more info after we have the rally in Taylor's Falls in a couple of weeks.
The mustard museum moved to Middleton (Madison metro) 5 or 6 years ago, but the Duluth Trading Co. has their flagship retail store in the same location. They have a strong online presence and have since established 2 or 3 more retail stores in MN and WI.
Tony
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #18

We wanted to make the Lanesboro rally, but can't -- we will be on the way to pick up the new trailer. We will try to make the spring rally near Lanesboro....lots of cycling there!