Niagara Wine Escape 2017 - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #101

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sweatshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Looks like 70's in day and 50's at night, no rain projected, sweatshirts around the fire....
Wear your favorite sports team sweatshirt. Should be a fight......Er Conversation starter. I was going to bring a couple nylon dining flys but with the forecast, don't think I'll need to.
Got my tub of giveaway stuff packed up and had more than I thought. I'm watching the weather. Adrian, how are you doing?
Dave
Old 09-11-2017, 06:28 AM   #102

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and come hungry, between the potluck on Saturday there will be a lot of kibitzing all around the cg. I'm bringing enough to share myself. Friday morning I'm firing up the grill to make my special grits with ham and eggs and jalapeño corn, hot and spicy Spam slices, bacon, scrapple cooked in bacon grease, and some brown sugar bourbon sausage links. Of course there will be plenty of bourbon as Alf likes his with a hint of maple. Yuengling light on ice to cool down your taste buds. Weather is looking fantastic....
Old 09-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #103

Don't forget the "I can use that" tarp on Saturday morning across the path th the Harry Potter Tree from Alf and Mary Ann's rig. If you have RV accessories that you no longer use bring them along to give away. If you have something to trade or sell, you can make up a for sale sign referring interested campers to your site.
Dave
Old 09-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #104

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Wear your favorite sports team sweatshirt. Should be a fight......Er Conversation starter. I was going to bring a couple nylon dining flys but with the forecast, don't think I'll need to.
Got my tub of giveaway stuff packed up and had more than I thought. I'm watching the weather. Adrian, how are you doing?
Dave
Hi Dave just happened on the Niagara thread guess you figured I would check it out, wish I hadn't seeing Jim's crockpots. Now I wish even more we could be there but family duty negates that possibility. See Irma thread for how we are doing! The wind is just starting to increase this morning. Power is already out in some southern GA counties. We are prepared.

Here's wishing everyone all the best for Niagara this weekend.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #105

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
To one and all. We are very excited to be attending our first Niagara Wine Escape this coming weekend. The weather looks fantastic. The "tarp", pot luck, beer exchange, breakfast Sunday morning, etc. all sound like a blast. See everyone soon.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #106

Politica

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
To one and all. We are very excited to be attending our first Niagara Wine Escape this coming weekend. The weather looks fantastic. The "tarp", pot luck, beer exchange, breakfast Sunday morning, etc. all sound like a blast. See everyone soon.
Don't know your football political affiliation but don't worry about being a closet Buckeye, there will be four more of us there and we are not bashful. A little embarrassed from last week but we ride with the Buckeyes through thick and thin. And we are not judgemental if you cheer for someone else except that team up north. Go Bucks
Dave
Old 09-12-2017, 04:41 AM   #107

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
A little embarrassed from last week but we ride with the Buckeyes through thick and thin. And we are not judgemental if you cheer for someone else except that team up north. Go Bucks
Dave
Not to worry. Even with their overly stiff schedule, I am sure the Buckeyes will rebound and rocket back up to their well deserved #2 ranking after defeating the next two powerhouses they have to face, Army and UNLV. The Bucks might even make it back to the BCS Final Four (even if they don't win their conference championship). Hopefully, they won't be embarrassed in the first round again, as they were last year. Riding with the Buckeyes through thick and thin is a good thing, however. Apparently it is what the sports writers do every year until the all too frequent crow eating banquet. I cannot imagine how little joy there will be in Mudville when that other team wearing blue gets the benefit of a questionable fourth and inches call. LOL!
I guess we all cheer for our favorite teams. I cheer for any team that combats my perceived favoritism from those who determine national rankings, especially when strength of schedule appears to be discounted. I therefore happily and respectfully ride with whichever team happens to be playing the Buckeyes, particularly that one up north! And I also ride with any opponent of Norte Dame, another team that plays an even weaker schedule yet often seems to get overrated in the polls. I personally believe that who plays for the championship should be determined on the field, not by some committee. And strangely enough, one of my best friends and my son-in-law both attended OSU! Sorry for the rant; just expressing my opinion. And I truly hope everyone has a great time at the Niagara Wine Escape!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 AM   #108

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: C&G in FL... I always root for the "Underdog". There's one in every game!!!
Seems a lot of Florida was spared the brunt of IRMA even with a direct hit!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #109

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Wondering exactly how the beer exchange works. Should we have chilled beer to share and drink upon swapping or bring a selection to swap for future consumption. What is the standard procedure.

Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Wondering exactly how the beer exchange works. Should we have chilled beer to share and drink upon swapping or bring a selection to swap for future consumption. What is the standard procedure.

Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle.
Hi: mcdonner... Can't rightly say as we've never done it before. I'm thinkin' future consumption. Put some on the table... take same amount off. Craft beer's fine, chilled is better and so's a bottle of wine. Fri. Campfire at site 52 should be good and all wood donations burnt. Heading out tomorrow for the Riverside... See Ya'll when you/we get there. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1020214.jpg  
Old 09-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #111

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Hey you'all, the Niagara Wine Escape has begun! We're waiting for the rest of you.
Fred & Dora are here too!
Attached Thumbnails
A69BE1A5-A297-4EE8-87B6-831961A5ABFE.jpg  
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #112

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: C&G in FL...
Seems a lot of Florida was spared the brunt of IRMA even with a direct hit!!! Alf
Yes Alf, it wasn't as bad as originally anticipated, still a lot of damage though and in some places a long wait for power to be restored.

You'll be glad to know here in GA Escape Hatch made it through the not so bad winds and rain in fine fashion, just a few scattered branches around the campsite.

Hope everyone has fun in Niagara this weekend.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
Hey you'all, the Niagara Wine Escape has begun! We're waiting for the rest of you.
Fred & Dora are here too!
Hi: Y'all... You guys are havin' too much fun so soon!!! I really hate it when the party starts without me!!! See ya tamorrow. Alf
Old 09-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #114

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've been to a bunch of beer exchanges, some fairly calm, and some "not so calm!"

Generally, the participants stand around holding a six pack (usually warm) beer from their region. After a 10 or 15 minute "preview", the exchange starts. People wander around offering & requesting until all their local beer is gone and they have 6 bottles of new stuff to try.

The difference is how controlled the exchange is - some are countdowns to a mad house, where the entire process is over in a minute or two, others are very civilized with discussion about the brews.

Here are some links to rallies that had beer exchanges (you may have to scroll through the page to find them).

2016 Matagorda Madness
2012 10th Annual Oregon Gathering (One of the more energetic ones I've attended)
2014 Oregon Gathering at Bullards Beach State Park
A 2014 Washington Rally at Maryhill State Park
2014 Escape Rally at Osoyoos
Old 09-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #115

I'm not saying where but I was dissapointed when folks brought the cheap stuff and loaded up on craft beers. I turned around and put three of My own back in my six Pack. Found three I could drink so it wasn't too bad. Moral of story Don't bring cheap stuff and bring carrier to load up if this is to be a six pack event. If it's Only a one bottle deal bring an opener. What say you Alf?
Dave
Old 09-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #116

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I thought that a beer exchange would be a social event with people bringing quality, cold beers and enjoying them in the company of others. My first time I found instead, a bit of a riot, with some grabbing the good stuff and leaving Bud Lime.
I gave up and brought good, local craft beers, and a small cooler with the same beers for me. I placed my offering on the tables and retired to the corner to watch the commotion and enjoy my own beer from my cooler.
Next time, I figure I'll stay at my trailer and crack a beer for Dave, and Eric and Bennett, and for me.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #117

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
baglo, I'll take you up on that beer in lieu of the exchange. I have opted out the last couple years now. Ideally, a beer exchange should be seven people, each with a 6 pack to share. While the intention is good at the Escape beer exchange, the logistics don't pan out with that many people.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #118

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Well, Glenn and Jim, show up at the Mississippi Rally and I'll let you exchange good conversation around the campfire for my homebrews. We can drink while Dave entertains us with tall tales.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #119

Lost cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Well, Glenn and Jim, show up at the Mississippi Rally and I'll let you exchange good conversation around the campfire for my homebrews. We can drink while Dave entertains us with tall tales.
Yes I remember that from last year. Eric making A member of the campfire crew promise to return his chair before turning in and Eric going to his rig. The last Mohican ( me) left Eric's chair because the user was taking a nap in it and I put Eric's very nice cooler out of sight so it would be there in the morning. Felt like I was the scoutmaster for adults.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #120
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
It's called a CRAFT beer exchange, not a CRAP beer exchange. The way I handle it at the NOGs, is everyone hangs on to their six pack and exchange one for one and no one is obligated to trade for what they don't want. Trust me, those that bring CRAP beer end up taking them back to their trailers... and they remember to bring the good stuff the next time.

I use it as an "opener" event , because it kinda makes people talk to one another when they might normally sit in a chair or with their buddies.

Don't show up 5 minutes late or it's OVER!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote