Quartzsite: Why we do it - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Quartzsite: Why we do it

Well, at least it didn’t snow. Despite night-time temperatures in the mid thirties and daytime to the mid to high fifties with some winds, we endured and had our fun. I don’t know how many eggs showed up but it must have been about two hundred, same as last year.

After every one of these get-togethers I tell myself, that’s it, I’m done, not going again. Dome Rock BLM? There can’t be a more ugly, un-hospitable trailer camping ground. Rocks, gravel, gullies, plus rude and aggressive Neando-tholic plant life, predominant color being gray-brown, emphasis on the gray. How can you even walk there? No water, no cell phone service, no television, no amenities at all. Just a free and open, un-fettered land where you can park and chill, alone or with your friends, for as long as you like.

That’s what brings me back. Pity them in tents because we seniors have our eggs to keep us, well, quite comfortable. Everyone there is happy and eager to share the things they like about that one giant common denominator, the great outdoors and our blessed fiberglass trailers. It’s a wonderful thing to be a part of that special group of people.

I have eavesdropped on some amazing life stories. So much experience is concentrated in one spot. If you have some problem with your trailer you can’t solve, this is the place where someone will have an answer for you and happy to help.

On Friday at 4 PM the band began to play. Soon after the campfires were all lit and the people began to gather with their camp chairs. We listen to very fine musicians, chat and cook hot dogs over campfires. Greg’s competition for best hot dog holder made me laugh. At least a hundred rally folks gathered around. Weather was cool but reasonably comfortable if you were properly dressed. Fellowship and happy feelings made things exceptionally warm. My hot dogs were fine, ok maybe 20 per cent acid, but good, thanks really to the excellent mustard I brought.

That night it got cold again. A tap on the shoulder signaled a request to turn on the heater. Low 40’s at 4 AM.

We had to leave on Saturday but before that Ron from BC had organized a very fine orientation meeting for those who might be wanting to drive across the Mexican border down to the Baja. And, later that day, held a group meeting for those who would for sure be going to the Baja, if maybe just to pat a whale shark on the nose, once the rally was over. I had wanted to drive to the Mexican border and get a picture of me pushing against the wall but, at the Algodones border crossing near Yuma there was big congestion and no wall so, no picture. Oh well.

In Quartzsite town we found an excellent fenced dog run for Josie to romp around with new friends, we shopped at the Roadrunner market, filled jugs of water at the Burger King, got turned off by the long line into Silly Al’s, had terrible fish and chips at The Grubstake, and toured a great quilt show at the Senior Center. Herb’s Hardware store is the absolute go-to place for everything, especially if you need O-rings.
Attached Thumbnails
QrtzBLM8.jpg   QrtzBLM7.jpg   HotDog1.jpg   Baja2.jpg  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Great report Myron.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks for the report Myron. Y'all make camping in the dirt sound like so much fun. Truly!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0778.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	37007

I agree with most of what you said except for how you described the desert. I thought it was beautiful! I loved the craggy rocks around us and the hiking in there was really scenic. Plus look at this pic out our back window. The sunsets were awesome!

This was our first rally ever and we had a great time. Can’t wait to do it again next year. Many thanks to all who organized and contributed to this event!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
It sounds WONDERFUL!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
It sounds WONDERFUL!
I'm GOING next year Mary. You and Skip want to go too?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
So sorry we could not make it this year.

the place is quirky in many ways

the people at the rally are wonderful....

missed it a lot

cheers

L.A. (John) & Lil Camper.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote