Will there be tech sessions at the 2019 appreciation ralley? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Will there be tech sessions at the 2019 appreciation ralley?

We recently read on a travel blog that the propane burner on the fridge needs at least an annual cleaning, more if the trailer is used primarily for boondocking.

We do know where the burner is located. We don't know if it is accessible, and we have no knowledge of how to clean it. Any seminars on care and feeding of our Escape appliances? Any gurus with knowledge that would like to show us the ropes on burner cleaning?

We have been through about 6 20# propane tanks since picking up the trailer, so Jim cannot answer this question.

Thanks in advance
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe cleaning the burner is an annual owner maintenance item which other owners have done themselves, but doubtful ETI can provide any assistance with issues other than warranty at the rally. A local rv repair shop should be helpful at least now, during the off season.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

Cleaning propane fridge burner

There is not much of an off season in AZ. We are currently in the middle of snowbird season. In spring starts the AZ camping season where we all head to 7000 ft elevation to avoid the heat. We contacted an RV repair shop about replacing an awning part, it will be at least a month before they can get to us.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
When we were selling our 19', the refrigerator wouldn't turn from electric to gas (naturally). The new owner (who had rebuilt a refrigerator on his old trailer), found that the burner tube was clogged and suggested we clean out our next refrigerator's tube yearly with a can of compressed air (the type you use for computers). There are a number of YouTube videos on how to maintain that darn burner tube. Type in: "cleaning burner tube dometic RV refrigerator".

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I think this would be a great feature of the appreciation rally, or any rally really. It could help get more owners doing some of their own maintenance or just getting more familiar with the trailer inner workings.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Two things
I have attended educational sessions at rallies where wrong information was presented.
I have seen argumentative individuals question information even when it was correct. This is generally upsetting to the presenter. I’ve thanked people for their presentation and been told never again because of auduemces being rude. Especially talking during the presentation. If you need specific information or technique training it would be my suggestion to make that known before a rally. Most folks would link up with you and give you one on one information on site. I know when I mentioned last summer that I had a manometer several folks availed themselves to my offer of loaning it to them and walking them through the procedure of checking their regulator pressure setting.
YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 12-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've done workshops at rallies over the last couple of years covering inverters, solar, 12V systems, and, most recently, photography, and it seems there are two major groups that attend - those that are really interested and want to learn, and those that are there to prove they know more than the individual offering the workshop (during my 32 years teaching very specific, advanced technical theatre courses, I never ran into the latter, and it was a surprise to me).

In any case, I always did my best to work with those interested in the content, and my best to ignore the others. For those that made a career of teaching, sharing knowledge is one of the more important things in life!
Old 12-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #8

We come from a touring motorcycle background. The BMW sport touring group has "unralleys" where the manufacturer and suppliers of parts are NOT invited. Then we just ride nearby interesting roads, there will be informal tech sessions ie changing the rear drive fluid with the pivoting rear end that does not have a drain plug. We have not experienced the know it all's, but perhaps they are in the "barley session" at the bar.

The more formal BMW ralleys feature tech courses exclusively on riding, the manufacturer has tractor trailers full of new model bikes to ride, the after market venders have booths selling stuff you really need. While we have attended both ralleys we prefer the unralley setup.

We were assuming the Escape Trailer appreciation ralley would be more home grown unralley type in operation. Just a group of owners coming together and discussing all things Escape, including tech hints. If anyone wants to show us fridge burner cleaning tips we'd appreciate it. We have new knowledge of swarming FL ant removal tips we just learned from our 5 weeks there. We'd love to pass that one on.

We'll be in the 19 with aquamarine trim being towed by a Jeep grand Cherokee, AZ tags.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mostly people just walk around the campsite, with a beer in hand.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #10

The Motto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Mostly people just walk around the campsite, with a beer in hand.
And if you really want to be prepared, a shot glass in your pocket.
Iowa Dwve
Old 12-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I dont remember anyone walking around drinking, despite what some Joe 6-packs may say
Old 12-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
We were assuming the Escape Trailer appreciation ralley would be more home grown unralley type in operation. Just a group of owners coming together and discussing all things Escape, including tech hints.
I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed if that is the type of rally you are looking for. I owned a Casita prior to the Escape and was used to the "unrally" type that the Casita owners tend to throw. After buying my trailer, I was looking forward to the Escape rally to listen to tech info and other owners problems and solutions but that is not what goes on. The Escape rally is a manufacturer's customer appreciation rally - more of a social gathering than a mix of social and tech info being passed on.

A good example of the type of rally your looking for is the Bluebonnet rally in Bandera TX. Bluebonnet Casita Rally - Home There are sessions each year on trailer maintenance, trailer life, and mods along with the social events. The rally says Casita in it but all kinds of fiberglass trailers show up including Escapes as it is not a manufacturer's rally. Registration for the rally each year has to close early due event space being maxed out.

I would like the Escape rally to have tech info mixed with the social as well. Honestly, after going to the Escape rally the first year after buying our trailer, I don't think I would go back otherwise. Canada is a little too far away for just socializing.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #13

Being a moderator here on the forum, I look forward to meeting forum members, both old and new and this will be our 4th Escape Rally. The place is huge and I bring a bike and I go around and wherever I see a gathering I'll stop and chat.I try to wear a "CPAHarley 2008" badge as most do not know me by name. Poor Noelia is left with the dogs at the trailer, sometimes for hours when I say "I'll be right back". But she gets to go on the wine tour and also likes seeing friends we have already made. Arriving on Tuesday, we will go into town for provisions and wet goods. On Wednesday and Thursday the campsites start to fill up. Thursday night is traditionally happy hour in town and Friday is the official start when Tammy and Reace hand out the welcome kits and provide dinner that night after a beer bottle swap. Saturday is normally tours of other units and the pot luck dinner that night. Sunday is potluck breakfast and Jim B normally cooks also provides coffee. It is fun seeing everyone, relaxing and observing. The campground is one of the prettiest we have ever seen as is the whole area. Enjoy.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #14

I agree with Jim that the rally is on a great location and fun to go to - but if the OP is looking for tech sessions, he is probably not going to find them. I had a great time when I went - meeting folks from the forum and having a chance to talk to Tammy and Reace.

But that doesn't take away the desire to have the rally include more tech. Even though I owned a Casita before the Escape and was already familiar with a lot of stuff, the Escape came with bells and whistles that I wasn't familiar with that I would have appreciated a little info on.

The Escape rally is a good one - but could be better with tech!
Old 12-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #15

But, but, that is the reason for the forum, for those who do not read the instruction book or have and it still does not work...
Old 12-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
And if you really want to be prepared, a shot glass in your pocket.
Iowa Dwve

And if you're soooo prepared that you have multiple shot glasses, you may, then, have trouble with name spelling!!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Canada is a little too far away for just socializing.
Aw, c'mon Tom. You loves socializing with us friendly northern folk.

If anyone was wanting and willing to organize any kind of a technical workshop, I would bet that Escape would be glad to announce it, and folks would come. I remember Reace at the first rally gave a demonstration on how to repack bearings. There were a lot less of us there though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
And if you're soooo prepared that you have multiple shot glasses, you may, then, have trouble with name spelling!!
Arnie introduced this handy dandy kit to me at an Escape rally and there is now one in my trailer. A nice thing to carry around with a favourite whiskey to share.

https://www.amazon.ca/Stanley-Advent...67957595&psc=1
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #19

Spelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Hey Don,
Don’t be harassing me. I’m busy writing a song tonight. It’s about today’s current event, It’s called “ I left my heart on Southwest Airlines. I’m figuring on going on tour with Tony Bennet. Needs some work yet but the tune seems solid.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Aw, c'mon Tom. You loves socializing with us friendly northern folk.
You are so right! It's great to put faces to the people I have enjoyed discussions with on the forum.

With the possibility that Escape might have a US presence, maybe there could be an Escape rally down here. It sure wouldn't hurt for drumming up sales from potential customers in the US and would great for the Escape customers south of the Mason Dixon line.