Campground Gossip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Media Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Campground Gossip

While on our recent road trip, a gentleman approached us at one of the campgrounds and told us he had been looking at the Escape trailers. He currently owns a "stickie" but was thinking of changing over to either an Airstream or a fiberglass. He told us he had been doing a lot of research on both but has decided to wait a bit and see what happens with Airstream and their planned purchase of an Oregon-based fiberglass trailer company. He said this was all part of Airstream's planned expansion. We parted and I didn't think too much more about it until we arrived home and I saw this article: The Sale of Jayco and What This Means for Consumers and Dealers. Scrolling down, I noticed that Airstream is owned by Thor and, since Thor just purchased Jayco, wondered if there really could be a "grand plan". (Note: The only Oregon-based fiberglass manufacturer I could find is Nest.)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Airstream/Thor already bought Nest.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the update. Couldn't find any link to the purchase.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 07-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Thanks for the update. Couldn't find any link to the purchase.
Airstream buying Nest? It was announced on April 1st: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...nest-7488.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #5

Thanks Donna. Wonder what changes (if any) Airstream will be making to the layout. My curiosity was piqued as we saw a few Bigfoot, Casita and Scamp trailers during our trip -- but no Olivers.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 07-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's a thread going right now on FiberglassRV regarding the pricing of Nest. Floyd stated he got a survey from Airstream in which they stated that entry price will start at $40,000. Oh my.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I don't know if Oliver is even up to a hundred units yet? There are lots and lots more Scamps and Bigfoots and Casitas and even Escapes.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm waiting for the first thread about using Zep to make it look like polished aluminum.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #9

Those Nests seem very small and I guess no bathroom (porta potti?). But they look so cool that there will be buyers even at a high price, I suppose. But then those folks probably do not know about fiberglass eggs.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I don't know if Oliver is even up to a hundred units yet? There are lots and lots more Scamps and Bigfoots and Casitas and even Escapes.
If I recall at the Quartzsite gathering one of the Oliver owners that was pretty tight with the manufacturer told me that to date (Feb 16) they had produced 115 trailers.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
If I recall at the Quartzsite gathering one of the Oliver owners that was pretty tight with the manufacturer told me that to date (Feb 16) they had produced 115 trailers.
Yes, that is about where I thought they were. Just do not have the numbers to compare to Escape or the others. Making very few units and the cost is now way up.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Based on what little Scamp Trailers has revealed approx 6-700+ trailers annually in the very early years, we've always estimated there are somewhere between 20-30,000 Scamps produced since the early 70's. Never have heard any numbers for Casita or Bigfoot.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Yes, that is about where I thought they were. Just do not have the numbers to compare to Escape or the others. Making very few units and the cost is now way up.
Cathy the numbers keep climbing new owners every week in my e-mail . The cost reflects what you are getting . Still cheaper then Airstreams and a lot nicer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The Nest has a marine type bath, similar to Escapes.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Cathy the numbers keep climbing new owners every week in my e-mail . The cost reflects what you are getting . Still cheaper then Airstreams and a lot nicer . Pat
We looked at Airstream and Oliver. Escape has its advantages over both. Our Escape fits us. True, you may get more space with the others but you not only have to pay the big bucks to get one, you may have to pay more big bucks for the tow vehicle. Then there is the gas. The "drawbacks" to those bigger units for entry and cleaning and other issues are personal preference factors. They are not as convenient to use as Escapes, for us anyway. Convenience and time is worth a lot.

And the big factor that Escape has is better layouts. No making the bed to have more than a two-person dinette. We looked at all of that and Escape just wins out on so many counts that are important to us. Others may prefer the advantages of Oliver or Airstream but we covered them and only need an Escape, at this time anyway. Circumstances change.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Campground Gossip

The whole appeal of a molded fiberglass trailer is the low maintenance, resale value, and the low weight for ease of towing. Escapes, to me, fill that gap between a luxury high end unit and a more basic molded unit like a Scamp. Seems the higher end you go, it's not just the expense but the substantial weight increase, necessitating a bigger tow vehicle and increasing your operating cost. We're happy with where we are.

I suppose the Nest won't have the drawbacks of higher weight and less economy, but then there's the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Don't hold your breath waiting for the Airstream Nest. They seemed to be either embarrassed by the purchase or disinterested in it, since the acquisition was never announced on Airstream's corporate website. Although Robert announced it in person and by email, he had no evidence of the sale on the Nest Caravan website (which now redirects to Airstream). There is now an Airstream Nest web page - so the project seems to be still on - but even that page suggests that there will not be an actual product for another year, and it says almost nothing.

I believe that the "master plan" at Thor is simply to acquire every RV manufacturing company in North America which they can operate profitably. They're well on their way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
We looked at Airstream and Oliver. Escape has its advantages over both. Our Escape fits us. True, you may get more space with the others but you not only have to pay the big bucks to get one, you may have to pay more big bucks for the tow vehicle. Then there is the gas. The "drawbacks" to those bigger units for entry and cleaning and other issues are personal preference factors. They are not as convenient to use as Escapes, for us anyway. Convenience and time is worth a lot.

And the big factor that Escape has is better layouts. No making the bed to have more than a two-person dinette. We looked at all of that and Escape just wins out on so many counts that are important to us. Others may prefer the advantages of Oliver or Airstream but we covered them and only need an Escape, at this time anyway. Circumstances change.
We are waiting for the money tree to grow . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The Nest has a marine type bath, similar to Escapes.
Yes, it does have a wet bath. The biggest differences between a Nest and an Escape would be that the Nest has a portable toilet (not a built-in, and not a cassette), and that the Nest has no grey waste tank (you hook up something external). There is a built-in fresh water tank.

I don't know if either of these features (lacking features?) will survive to production. I doubt lugging either a grey waste tank or the waste-filled part of a portable toilet really fits in the Airstream owner's world, but there have been extensive discussions in Airstream forums, so others would have a better idea.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Read an article this week that said Airstream/Nest will have a model available summer 2017.