Interview with hikingcamping.com - Authors of BC guidebooks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Media Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #1

Interview with hikingcamping.com - Authors of BC guidebooks

We caught up with Kathy & Craig, the authors of several guidebooks, via Skype somewhere fun and of course outdoors. Their guidebooks are a must for anyone thinking of hiking in the Canadian Rockies, BC, Utah & Arizona. They bring a different perspective to their books and I believe them to honestly represent their personalities and approach to camping. If you’re traveling in Northwest Canada, their books are a must have.

Here the link to the interview http://www.rvtraveltv.com/?p=254

I really enjoyed this interview and who know's you might even have their guidebooks.

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #2

Re: Interview with hikingcamping.com - Authors of BC guidebooks

Are they fans/supporters of Escape trailers

I believe that their travel blog gives their opinion of our product

I won't buy their book
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanngord
Are they fans/supporters of Escape trailers

I believe that their travel blog gives their opinion of our product

I won't buy their book
I think they were comparing an Escape to Airstream, which I think is not a fair comparison as they are different TT. We actually owned both and I can tell you that it's not easy to compare the two. To each their own..it doesn't mean that they aren't passionate about camping and hiking and I think that came out in the interview. Anyway, we like these guy's and I thought since they really know about campgrounds and different hiking trails that it would be a benefit to those on the forum. Especially since they are specifically North West Canada based.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #4

Why give them space on our forum (your forum )

They have a low opinion of fiberglass trailers in general and take the time to knock Escape specifically. From their website:

"It’s possible to find a used-but-well-cared-for Airstream for about the same price as a new Escape. For example, a new Escape 15B sells for $19,600 plus options, and most people will find many of the options essential. While researching TTs, however, we found a 2004, 19’ Airstream Bambi in superb condition for $23,000, and a beautiful, 2004, 16’ Airstream International CCD Bambi also for $23,000. Both the Airstreams were luxuriously equipped. By the time we ordered the necessary options for the Escape, it too would have tipped the scale toward $23,000. Yet the Escape did not warrant comparison to either of these Airstreams..."

THIS IN NO WAY SUPPORTS US!

I particularly become annoyed at them comparing the cost of a new Escape with a used Airstream. At the height of the recent recession, "good deals" are available if one takes advantage of others misfortune!!!

There are other campground and trail guides that are $$$ better spent.

Geography Lesson:

North west Canada is our north pacific coast - Prince Rupert, Yukon, etc

Copelands are based in Calgary which is Eastern Canada.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #5

They're friends and I wanted to help them out, just like I liked Tammy & Reace and created this forum.

Tammy & Reace spent a ton of time with us and I wanted to help them promote their product in a way to thank them, hence the forum.

Kathy & Craig are very decent and nice people, they have a different perspective. In fact they purchased our Airstream (last year) and spent time with us at our house. We got to know them and when the opportunity presented itself to help them, I did.

I respect your position not to buy their book, please understand my position as well.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Copelands are based in Calgary which is Eastern Canada.

I've lived in or near Calgary my entire life, and can confirm it is definitely in Western Canada.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #7

Trailer: ?

Does this mean if you have a negative comment about an Escape product, you are not supposed to post it on this forum?
Eugene We is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene We
Does this mean if you have a negative comment about an Escape product, you are not supposed to post it on this forum?
No I don't think that at all.. this is an open forum and we pride ourselves with having different opinions. I think people get passionate at times..

Old 06-18-2011, 01:47 AM   #9

It would appear that as these folks purchased your airstream and spent several days with you there just may be a conflict of interest on your part.
I personally would not purchase the book as I do not believe these people camp in any but the most used, and popular locations.

I just returned from another trip to Ethel Lake, then on to Little Salmon Lake, then onto Frenchman Lake, all in the Yukon. are these locations in the book, and these are the easy ones to get into.
Great fishing all

Comparing an airstream to an escape is comparing apples and oranges.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Jeff, I enjoyed listening to them personally, and liked their openness on being "opinionated" about which trails have more character/interest. That's the kind of info I appreciate when I don't have a whole bunch of time to hike all the trails, and have to decide which one. That they are opinionated about TT's shouldn't bother us, it's their opinion, not fact. I'm definitely going to get their Utah trails book, so when we get out there again, in our wonderful HokieEscape, we can enjoy their "trail opinion", and chuckle at their "other" opinions (probably about many more things than just TT's.....I'd imagine.... as they would about us....my Jan and I often remark that we think we're probably the only 2 really NORMAL people out there anyway <kidding of course...don't anyone take us on here> ). But frankly, I don't think their opinion on Airstreams and Escapes are gonna hurt Escape Industries at all....nope, not one bit.
PS: If I ever get up to Calgary (Western Canada) or the Yukon, I'm gonna get Jim and Doug to tell me "where to go" (in a nice way please...I'm dying to go canoeing with Jim and fire a big Winchester with Doug).
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

"No I don't think that at all.. this is an open forum and we pride ourselves with having different opinions. I think people get passionate at times.."
Quote by JeffZ

Thanks Jeff, well said. Its nice to know that we can all have a differing opinion... its sad to see people getting attacked for having one.

Doug
Old 06-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #12

Trailer: 17

shanngord, controversy can be very good for a company. Like the famous quote, controversy is another word for marketing.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All... The salesmans job starts when the customer says NO!!! I say also that everyone is entitled to my opinion. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
Jeff, I enjoyed listening to them personally, and liked their openness on being "opinionated" about which trails have more character/interest. That's the kind of info I appreciate when I don't have a whole bunch of time to hike all the trails, and have to decide which one. That they are opinionated about TT's shouldn't bother us, it's their opinion, not fact. I'm definitely going to get their Utah trails book, so when we get out there again, in our wonderful HokieEscape, we can enjoy their "trail opinion", and chuckle at their "other" opinions (probably about many more things than just TT's.....I'd imagine.... as they would about us....my Jan and I often remark that we think we're probably the only 2 really NORMAL people out there anyway <kidding of course...don't anyone take us on here> ). But frankly, I don't think their opinion on Airstreams and Escapes are gonna hurt Escape Industries at all....nope, not one bit.
PS: If I ever get up to Calgary (Western Canada) or the Yukon, I'm gonna get Jim and Doug to tell me "where to go" (in a nice way please...I'm dying to go canoeing with Jim and fire a big Winchester with Doug).
Well said, Dan. Pretty much how I feel on the issue too.
I would be honoured to take you canoeing when you make it out this way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp
shanngord, controversy can be very good for a company. Like the famous quote, controversy is another word for marketing.
Its nice to have friends. My point stands: in all the internet research that I did on fiberglass rvs which finally led us to Escape theirs was the only negative opinion that I could find on Escape RVs on the entire web. And they where quite adament about it comparing a 1700 pound Escape 15b with a 4500 pound Airstream.

This is not new to me: I had some e-mail correspondence with them in the past so they are familiar with my opinion and I with theirs.

Enough already - mighty Christian of ya' Jeff, turnin' the other cheek and all!
2011 17B&nbsp;&nbsp; &#39;Ping
Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Priestley
"No I don't think that at all.. this is an open forum and we pride ourselves with having different opinions. I think people get passionate at times.."
Quote by JeffZ

Thanks Jeff, well said. Its nice to know that we can all have a differing opinion... its sad to see people getting attacked for having one.

Doug
I really hope that Doug does not think that I am the one "attacking" copeland's for their "differing opinion".

This forum may be an appropriate place to voice an opinion of the product. I do not believe that a quasi-commercial blog site is an appropriate place to negatively slam a product unless you as the author have a bone to pick with the particular company.

From copeland's blog, and my correspondance with them, I believe that Escape trailers has done them no disservice. They like their Airstream, but chose to discredit another product in their zeal to sell more books.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 17

Here is a review you might have missed at the bottom here, cheers http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/2.cfm
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Priestley
Quote by JeffZ

Doug
I really hope that Doug does not think that I am the one "attacking" copeland's for their "differing opinion".

This forum may be an appropriate place to voice an opinion of the product. I do not believe that a quasi-commercial blog site is an appropriate place to negatively slam a product unless you as the author have a bone to pick with the particular company.

From copeland's blog, and my correspondance with them, I believe that Escape trailers has done them no disservice. They like their Airstream, but chose to discredit another product in their zeal to sell more books.
I don't, and by the way I think everyone here knows who makes the best trailers.
Jeff we need a "Favorite Trailer Manufacturer" poll....
Old 07-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #19

Quote:

There are other campground and trail guides that are $$$ better spent.

I picked up a copy of the 4th edition of "Camp Free in BC". I stand corrected

I have read a lot of guide books on various locations - this one is probably the best I've seen.

I paid $2 for it at ValueVillage.

G