Ok.. I have some new stuff to try out.. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Media Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #1

Ok.. I have some new stuff to try out..

Yep, as if I didn't learn my lesson last night. . Although I think I've decided to keep it simple and just use the old way of doing the shows .. AND also post the link in the email that I send out so that you can always just click on it or cut & paste into the URL address of your browser to access the show, just in case.. That should circumvent any accessing issues with the forum not displaying the page (with the Show & Chat. If that makes sense..).

But I digress... Yes, I'm totally enamored with Video/Audio stuff and have found some free software that allows Video Conferencing (up to 12 people)... It wont really work for the interview show as I can't record and won't have the same bandwith and such as we get with Ustream or Livestream CDN (content delivery networks) so sticking with the current mode to broadcast shows.. But, I think it's maybe useful in some way to connect with members, and also get members kind-of on board with using a web-cams and eventually maybe want to participate in being interviewed (at some point)..

Anyway.. If anyone wants to try it out, let me know.. what you need is a webcam and that's it, the software uses flash and pretty much just walks you through the login.. It truly is easy and if I get the "thumbs up" on it, I'll just add it the forum and people can use it as they see fit.. mostly as impromptu way of conversing..

jeff

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Ok.. I have some new stuff to try out..

Sounds kinda like Skype, but with conferencing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #3

Yep.. you don't need to sign up or register.. just basically log into the VideoChat room.. the only caveat is that it allows up to 12 people to Video broadcast..which to me is more than enough.

Skype (which I love..) is 1 to 1 on the Video side..on the audio side (no video) it allows 24 calls (not including yourself) to be conference. I never had a problem with Skype, I use it all the time.. but I like the idea of having multiple webcam.. I tested it with my buddy in Vegas and it works pretty well, I plan on using it to Video call my Mom (FL) & Sister (NY) both of who are a tad computer challenged.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Sounds interesting!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #5

So.. I'm adding the VideoChat software in a couple of minutes to the site.. yes, rust never sleeps..

Anyway.. I have tested it on 2 PC's, Win 7 FireFox & XP IE and it worked.. If it doesn't work for your browser, then alas you're probably not a good candidate to use it..You can always switch to FireFox (my personal fav..)

So where the heck is this and how does it work..

good questions..

where is it? = The "tab" next to logout tab on the menu bar - Video Chat

how does it work? = who the heck knows.. .. You need a webcam and a browser that supports Flash, which they all do.. Use any login name you want.. select broadcast..allow access to your webcam when prompted by the Flash component..select your webcam.. select the default use microphone.. select use headphones.. and that's it.. Sounds a bit daunting when reading this, but it's really straight forward..

Of course you will like to have someone else in the Video Chat room or you'll just be seeing yourself..

enjoy.. it's there if you want to try it..

Old 12-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

I just went through the set-up/sign-up process, and it's as easy as Jeff said. In Firefox, it opens a new tab, and away you go. Pretty cool. I can really see its utility if you want to discuss a particular topic with one or more people at length.

One question for Jeff -- what happens if more than one person at a time hits the talk button? Does it end up sounding like one of those Faux News commentators' shoutfests?

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #7

It's like anything else.. you just need to be courteous like you're on a conference call.. Also if you select that you're using headphones (even though your not), you won't need to do the "push to talk", just talk and it works..