15' Escape Update - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #131

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
towing

We had a Mazda MPV with a 3 litre v-6 that produced 155hp it would pull my 4000 lb boat and single axle trailer all over florida no problems whatsoever .
It's not only hp . its the brakes, suspension tires etc that make a good TV.Unless we are talking Big Foot most of these Fiberglass trailers are way under 4000lb .That is one of the reasons to buy a fiberglass trailer besides higher resale and that it won't fall apart like some of the cheaper stickies .The 15 ft escape or 17 escape can't be that much difference in weight .The 17 weighs in at under 2000 lb. the 15 should be about 1700 -1800 lb. with all your stuff ,water ,black and grey tanks still under 3000lb.
We tow our Snoozy with a 07 Sequoia and it is way overkill If we didn't have the 5000 lb boat I would downsize to a v-6 or turbo -4 to pull Snoozy. Now if someone likes a big truck or SUV that's fine I just find I like smaller cars more maneuverable better fuel economy and usually easier to avoid accidents then the big trucks that are on the road today .

jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #132

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We had a Mazda MPV with a 3 litre v-6 that produced 155hp it would pull my 4000 lb boat and single axle trailer all over florida no problems whatsoever .
It's not only hp . its the brakes, suspension tires etc that make a good TV.Unless we are talking Big Foot most of these Fiberglass trailers are way under 4000lb .That is one of the reasons to buy a fiberglass trailer besides higher resale and that it won't fall apart like some of the cheaper stickies .The 15 ft escape or 17 escape can't be that much difference in weight .The 17 weighs in at under 2000 lb. the 15 should be about 1700 -1800 lb. with all your stuff ,water ,black and grey tanks still under 3000lb.
We tow our Snoozy with a 07 Sequoia and it is way overkill If we didn't have the 5000 lb boat I would downsize to a v-6 or turbo -4 to pull Snoozy. Now if someone likes a big truck or SUV that's fine I just find I like smaller cars more maneuverable better fuel economy and usually easier to avoid accidents then the big trucks that are on the road today .
The dry weight of the 17B is close to 2170 lbs, mine delivered with options and 2 propane tanks filled, weighed in at 2570 lbs. By the time I add water, cookware, food, etc. I estimate it'll be close to 3000 lbs. Towing over the mountains passes here in the PNW my 270 HP 4Runner will certainly it's there.

2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:13 AM   #133

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
I think Jen and Angie's point isn't so much about the number of cylinders their Lexus 350 has, but instead that they feel they are just about at their particular tug's limit, based on their own experiences so far. If they've pulled the 15 around, up and down hills/mountains, and are thinking that their Lexus might not pull a 17 so well, being heavier for sure, I'd have to say for them they are right. Not everyone wants to pull at the very limit of their tug! (this isn't FGRV...)

I looked at their album. Nice photos! Makes me want to go up to the Oregon coast. And that 15 looks just right with the Lexus.
Leonard, you pretty much summed up my concerns regarding going with a larger trailer using my current vehicle. I probably sound really naive but I had imagined we'd barely feel the weight of a small, fiberglass trailer but boy it takes some getting used to! I realize I have a lot to learn using the brake control, switching gears up/ down hills, and that over time the tug will (and already has) become less noticeable. The 15' is a good fit for a couple and a great introduction to trailering. Doesn't matter if it's a computer, cell phone, and now a trailer, I always experience a tinge of buyer's remorse. I too soon forget how we spent years camping in tents and sleeping on leaky air mattresses . Comparatively, our 15' feels like the Ritz Carlton.
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:29 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
The dry weight of the 17B is close to 2170 lbs, mine delivered with options and 2 propane tanks filled, weighed in at 2570 lbs. By the time I add water, cookware, food, etc. I estimate it'll be close to 3000 lbs. Towing over the mountains passes here in the PNW my 270 HP 4Runner will certainly it's there.
The dry weight of a 15B is 1750 lbs but after adding options, the final weight came to 2040 lbs. Knowing I'd frequently want to bring our bikes, kayak, anti-gravity chairs (lol). I thought it best to stay well under TV GVWR of 3500 lb not just for comfort level but to avoid excessive wear and tear to vehicle. This may be over cautious on my part but being a complete novice it felt safer to me. Still, the idea of having a little dinette AND a bed to lay in makes that old buyer's remorse kick in
Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Jen and Angie, not sure what you are doing to clean your black tank but I am guessing it is way too much! We also do not want a pick-up and would rather not have a V-8 either.
A V-6, non-pick-up, can tow a 17', 19', or 21' and meet the weight requirements, depending on which V-6. You sound as though you are still very content with your 15' though. Your wonderful photos of places visited are proof that you get around with it plenty.
Cathy, you are probably right! We are completely paranoid about cleaning black tanks right (lol). And OMG when it came to winterizing we\I stressed out completely! Glad you enjoyed the pictures! Last month, we did a mini-trip to CA Central Coast (from Santa Cruz to Pismo Beach). Despite moments of feeling frazzled, we ARE getting around just fine and enjoying the trailer tremendously. I actually sit in the trailer sometimes because I miss it so much when we're not on the road. I'm like a young girl in love We celebrate our victories, which are quite a few. Overall, we're doing a bang up job getting accustomed to the trailer way of life.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:03 AM   #136

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen & Angie View Post
I probably sound really naive but I had imagined we'd barely feel the weight of a small, fiberglass trailer but boy it takes some getting used to.
Lots of people make comments such as "I can't tell the trailer is back there", which can lead new people to think that could actually be true. Imagine putting ten people in your van or SUV and expecting that there would be no noticeable change in acceleration or hill climbing - put that way it is obviously not a reasonable expectation, and putting the same weight of trailer on the back has even more effect (due to air drag).

Any travel trailer is not really so small - a "small trailer" to me is a little utility trailer or tiny tent trailer, which might weight one-quarter of what the smallest Escape weighs. Even the Escape 15' is about half the weight of a Lexus RX350; that's not a problem for the RX, but it's pretty significant.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #137

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Lots of people make comments such as "I can't tell the trailer is back there", which can lead new people to think that could actually be true...
I think that my brother had forgotten about the 23' camper trailer behind his truck one day when he tried to go through a MacDonald's drive through. He told me that he had a terrible time trying to back out of the narrow lineup lane.

On flat sections of highway when not travelling against any head winds I may "forget" for a few moments that my 19' is not right behind me. But any gust of wind, uphill section of road, or a glance at the gas gauge will certainly remind me that it is still there. I also get a lot of people passing me and giving me a big old as they drive past my fiberglass trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #138
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I remember last year while enroute to Osoyoos, towing BlackJack in Utah when a gust of wind hit me and before I knew it I was in the other lane. I was using the Andersen and both the tow and trailer went over together as if a giant hand pushed us both over simultaneously. Luckily there was no one in that lane at that time. I guess I used up one of my nine lives then.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #139

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen & Angie View Post
Cathy, you are probably right! We are completely paranoid about cleaning black tanks right (lol). And OMG when it came to winterizing we\I stressed out completely! Glad you enjoyed the pictures! Last month, we did a mini-trip to CA Central Coast (from Santa Cruz to Pismo Beach). Despite moments of feeling frazzled, we ARE getting around just fine and enjoying the trailer tremendously. I actually sit in the trailer sometimes because I miss it so much when we're not on the road. I'm like a young girl in love We celebrate our victories, which are quite a few. Overall, we're doing a bang up job getting accustomed to the trailer way of life.
Good to know we aren't the only ones sitting in trailer in driveway . We love the trailer ! Linda and Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #140

Trailer: 17B 2017
"...when a gust of wind hit me and before I knew it I was in the other lane. I was using the Andersen and both the tow and trailer went over together as if a giant hand pushed us both over simultaneously"

Exact thing happened to a friend in a passenger car not even towing.

gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote