15' Escape Update - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #101

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
So the 15-foot - one of six models (counting the 5.0 and 5.0TA as two generations of one model) - accounts for only 10% of production... although, to be fair, the run wasn't nearly as long at some other models.

It makes perfect sense to me that the bathroom is only optional on smaller models (up to 17-foot) and is more commonly omitted in the 15-foot than the 17-foot. As one goes down in trailer size, the space taken by a bathroom becomes more significant, and people buying the smaller models are commonly limited in towing weight capacity so they are further motivated to keep the feature list lean.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:32 AM   #102

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Bathrooms are optional on larger models. I know of at least one 19 without a bathroom. I would think if you didn't want a bathroom in any model they would leave it out.
Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #103
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
Bathrooms are optional on larger models. I know of at least one 19 without a bathroom. I would think if you didn't want a bathroom in any model they would leave it out.
Mark
To be more specific, "Omit Bathroom" is an option on larger models. The bath is standard - no a and b models listed. You then have to tell them what to do with the space. They have more than one option for that.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #104

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Looking through the ETI site with the discontinuance of the 15-foot in mind, I also noticed this in Points to Ponder:

While the entire length of the frame was originally 1 ½” x 3” tubing and the rear section is still that size, the main part is now 2" x 4" tubing on all models, except perhaps the 17-foot.

It is a lot of work to keep a product website current and accurate!
I agree. Although it's a lot of work, it is their outlet for information about their product (other than being overwhelmed by the info on this forum).

{FYI: When Reace called me in Dec. to answer some of my questions about our 17 build, he said that the 17 now uses the 2" x 4" structural steel tube from the tongue to behind the axle, then it's reduced to the smaller size. Their weld jigs are standardized for the larger member sizes.}

There is a video interview with Reace and Tammy, where she states that they are limited to about 140 trailers per year (so they can maintain span of control). With the skyrocketing popularity of Escape trailers, I think the demise of the 15 line, standardization of production, and the expansion and use of every sq.inch of space at their facility (I saw that on our visit), are signs that they are trying to increase that yearly production number while maintaining the quality and attention to the customer and the product that has made Escape what it is.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #105

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
Mark
Yep, I'll be picking up a 19 w/o a bathroom in a couple of weeks.

Different strokes and all.

Counter space, windows, and storage are all more important to me than a bathroom. I strongly considered a 17a; but worried about puppy sleeping space for my avatar and her brother. A 21 is more than I wanted to pull.

All Escape trailers are unique and one of a kind. Escape seems to have found a niche with upscale trailers. For better or worse, that would seem to mean focusing on 17' and above.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #106

Trailer: 17b
On my way to the bank to transfer funds for the 15a. Looks like the other one sold early this morning, as it was on the web site yest. but not today. I know ETI had yest. off.

And no matter what size I bought, I'd still want one w/o a bathroom.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #107

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just remember, without a bath then the trailer can not qualify as a second home for an allowable interest deduction.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #108

If you pay cash, it's a moot point, as there's no interest. At least that's my understanding. Besides, getting exactly what you want would make more sense in my book than worrying about a little cash savings, and the difference would be made up in not paying the extra 1k for the bathroom anyway.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #109

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post
If you pay cash, it's a moot point, as there's no interest. At least that's my understanding. Besides, getting exactly what you want would make more sense in my book than worrying about a little cash savings, and the difference would be made up in not paying the extra 1k for the bathroom anyway.
Good points. Not that we can claim a trailer as a second residence though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #110

Trailer: 21' Escape
Without a bathroom just think about all of the weight savings in walls, black tank, eliminate the fresh water system and save even more.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #111

Exactly, though I opt to keep the water tank. But all those pipes hanging down really make a diff. on where you can go. If you just stay in campgrounds, no matter.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #112
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by floorpanel View Post
Without a bathroom just think about all of the weight savings in walls, black tank, eliminate the fresh water system and save even more.
Even if there is no toilet or shower, why would you eliminate the fresh water system? Wouldn't you still want to use the kitchen sink?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #113

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
It saddens me to learn that ETI is now outfitting all of their trailers with the larger dimension underframe. I sure wish we had the 2x4 frame on our 19. The smallness of the 1 1/2 x 3 has always bothered me. It's kept us from going places that, in my opinion, would put undue strain on our frame. Plus, supporting the trailer on jack stands between each wheel has given me pause as well. NUTS.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #114

What are the repercussions of having the older, smaller frame though, other than being not as stiff? I have drug my trailer into some rougher off the grid places, and have seen no issue. Did Reace change it because there were issues that arose.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #115

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
It saddens me to learn that ETI is now outfitting all of their trailers with the larger dimension underframe. I sure wish we had the 2x4 frame on our 19. The smallness of the 1 1/2 x 3 has always bothered me. It's kept us from going places that, in my opinion, would put undue strain on our frame. Plus, supporting the trailer on jack stands between each wheel has given me pause as well. NUTS.

Doug
Doug, don't be sad.
Think of it as, 'the evolution of the Escape Trailer'.
Trailers, like cars, tooth brushes, and everything else is always striving to be better. Sometimes the price goes up with change. Has there been a price increase since you bought your trailer?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #116

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
...The smallness of the 1 1/2 x 3 has always bothered me. It's kept us from going places that, in my opinion, would put undue strain on our frame...
Was there a particular reason why you thought that the smaller frame would not handle the terrain? Possibly poor performance or breakage by yours or someone else's Escape? Would be interesting if you could expand on your thought process.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #117
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Has there been a price increase since you bought your trailer?
Excellent point. Escapes are always improving, which is one of the reasons why they're in such demand. We missed the 2014 model cutoff for ordering by two weeks -- which cost us an extra 2 grand. Yours is a prefect representation of an Escape at that time, and any "improvements" usually come at a cost.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #118

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I wasn't really "whining". I just would have preferred to have a more hefty frame. No, the frame we have won't stop us from bushwhacking but the larger frame would definitely have made it less worry-some. I'm likely over-thinking the frame thing. I think I'll just stay off the forum. After all, ignorance is bliss, isn't it?.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #119
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Doug, is as said.. don't fix it if it ain't broke. I don't think the change is going to make one WHIT of difference to the memories you've made or the ones you're going to make in the future. There's other things to worry about... who brought the CHEAP beer?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #120

Quote:
I'm likely over-thinking the frame thing.
Over thinking things seems to be the norm around here lately. You are normal.