2016/2017 Escape News - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2016, 04:13 PM   #81

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
(snip) And the roof changed to better do solar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Guessing something in the roof moulds for more solar panel security (snip)
What's wrong with how it is? I know there was a problem with some solar panels coming off, but ETI addressed that problem. Is there too much of a curve to the roof for more panels? Or for the current ones? We didn't order a solar panel, so I don't know what all is being referenced in these two posts.

Thanks for enlightenment!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #82

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think the windows and inside table will have changes also....
This would not be enough incentive for me to switch to the 21v2.0 trailer. We're not even going to get the table installed.

Nor an electric awning.

I could see the benefit of awning type windows instead of sliders, but not for a $2800 US increase.

However....

What would get me to switch is if they do something about the door locking situation. I know it hasn't happened to everyone, but it's still freaking me out big time. I do not want to worry about trying to shove my butt and all other body parts out the escape window if I'm locked in. Or take the door off the hinges if I'm locked outside. I freaked out big time over the photo someone posted about that lovely situation.

I'm thinking once that started happening, ETI took a good, hard look at what was going on and came up with something to resolve that problem in the future. It's a huge safety issue, in my mind.

(I don't know when this started happening; if it's just with newer or old trailers or what, so I could be wrong in some of my assumptions.)

Somebody mentioned some time ago that there aren't very many trailer door locks to choose from due to the curvature of the door and body frame.

So, what if the body were straight!!?!? Would this solve the problem by being able to install a better lock? Maybe even be able to install a house door lock? I'd love to have a handle with a lever on it instead of twisting a knob or pulling on that black metal piece.

Would a straight body solve the problems some doors have of sealing properly when they're new? I don't remember the ins and outs of that situation.

So, hey, we're tossing out our ideas and these are mine.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #83

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Wouldn't a straight body mean not so aerodynamic?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Yeah, but if I don't get locked in/out of the trailer, I won't care!

Heck, I drove a 1989 Isuzu Trooper for 21+ years and that thing had a super straight body. Never bothered me and I rather liked the looks of it (until I saw the Toyota FJ Cruiser!).
Old 02-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #85

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
This was a comment about vertical sides. Flat sides - but still with rounded top and ends - wouldn't make any difference to aerodynamic drag. On the other hand, it's not practical to get a moulded fiberglass shell out of the mould if the sides don't have some slope, and if they don't curve you would have top and bottom slopes meeting in a vee at the waistline... not nice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #86

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Guessing something in the roof moulds for more solar panel security ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
What's wrong with how it is? I know there was a problem with some solar panels coming off, but ETI addressed that problem.
The problem of adhesive fastening was addressed by bolts through the shell, which is secure but puts bolt heads (or worse, bolts ends with nuts) in the interior. A better solution would be a set of raised pads filled with solid inserts, which would provide flat points to bolt on panel brackets (using threaded inserts) and a smooth interior without protrusions or metal fasteners bypassing the insulation. There have always been similar mounting pads on an Escape for the awning and the door hinges. That's a mould change.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #87

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Casita did it with their 17. Our 16 had a curved door, which didn't fit as well as those nice flat doors, including screen doors, in the 17. Releasing from the mold is probably easier when you consider the top and bottom being formed separately.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #88

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The problem of adhesive fastening was addressed by bolts through the shell, which is secure but puts bolt heads (or worse, bolts ends with nuts) in the interior. A better solution would be a set of raised pads filled with solid inserts, which would provide flat points to bolt on panel brackets (using threaded inserts) and a smooth interior without protrusions or metal fasteners bypassing the insulation. There have always been similar mounting pads on an Escape for the awning and the door hinges. That's a mould change.
Sounds good to me.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #89

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
My understanding is they are making Canadien and US molds for 2017. The Canadien molds will be the same size as the current trailer models. The US molds will be 40% smaller.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #90

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Greg I see you have a French accent when you type.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #91

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Canadien moulds, and US molds.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Greg I see you have a French accent when you type.

Cheers
Doug
Oui....
Old 02-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #93

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Oui....

LOL

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #94

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
My thinking is that it has to be more than a few cosmetic changes for ETI to think that someone would delay their delivery date for 6 months or more to get the new features.

On the 21 Reace had mentioned that the roof now had a honeycomb feature that negated the need for extra insulation so I'm wondering if this is being implemented into the whole body to make it stronger and give more insulating properties. This would also give more flexibility to the interior layout. Someone had mentioned an electric awning, I believe these are bolted to the side of the trailer rather than the top and bottom as is done now so a stronger side would be needed for this and a honeycomb type of side would provide this.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #95
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The issue of being locked in or out of a trailer has nothing to do with the brand or even the brand of locks. All locks wear out or can have issues. I've never worried about it one whit in Ten Forward. The only time it was ever a problem was in my Scamp. My daughter got locked in... different, totally different type of lock and brand of trailer than an Escape.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #96

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Somewhere in my vague memory, I recall advice to NOT use both the top lock and the dead bolt and to use the dead bolt on the inside only ( using the lever ).
I've only used the top keyed lock ever since.
Had the trailer almost eight years and have had no issues with locks. I did replace the cylinders that were recalled.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #97

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
1. agreed with regard to mounting solar panels..need a more engineered method...possibly also flatten the area where it goes on the roof, mount it closer to the body and possibly create an air dam/deflector along the roof fiberglass and parallel to the solar panel front edge..less drag,resistance and possibility of the panel becoming a wing and stressing the anchor mounts! Designing a proper solar solution for 2017 and beyond is a must...anything else is going backwards unless you want to market it as retro.
2. create a proper lockable storage area for at least two AGM batteries for that solar array keeping in mind how much they weigh and cost $$$.
3. better integration of the storage option currently on the tongue

ruled out a 21 because of the bed/bathroom layout...hopefully some day they offer something else with the door at the rear which will allow that bathroom to move to back also..similar to the 25B21FB Bigfoot has..great layout for some.

ironically we are making suggestions or sharing ideas and Escape is already trying to finish the 19 mold for the 2017 model....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #98

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Several fiberglass models have a flat door, my EggCamper did as well as some Casita's also.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #99

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Unless you currently have some sort of a trailer, I can't imagine cancelling an order, just to have the latest and greatest. Camping season comes and goes for some of us, and life also throws it's fair share of punches.

I spent close to twice as much as I originally planned on when I decided to purchase an Escape. I see it holding its value much better than anything else I could have bought. I'm pretty sure I could post my trailer for sale, an it would be sold in a blink of an eye. I don't think a stick trailer holds its value or could be sold as fast, if I need some cash.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #100

I couldn't agree more Gringo. I've witnessed over the years a number of new trailers ordered that by the time they're built, health or other reasons cause them to be sold before they're even used. If the delay would be a year or even enough to miss the upcoming season I'd stay with the one coming soonest and get camping. The experiences and the relationships far outweigh what you arrive in in my book. Others may approach it differently which makes the world go round.
We're leaving for our third trip this week and we just picked up at Thanksgiving, times flying by. Gotta go, go, go....... Hope to see everyone out there soon.
When all is said and done, the classics may do better on resale anyway.