2017 19' Exterior Photos - Page 38 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #371

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
You'd have a good drive, Jim, but come on down....

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #372

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The Dometic 9500 power awning I'm showing about $1300 retail online...

I think they start in the $1300 range, but when you configure it and choose the 14' or 15' length, the price jumps dramatically.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #373

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnocker View Post
I think the Fiamma's or something similar would be a good alternative. I mean one of the reason I am buying a FGRV is for their longevity.
Agree. Having owned 2 stick RV's, longevity is very important to me and is why I ordered an Escape. Anything that is likely to break is a negative. I'm sure many of you have been in the desert when it goes from dead calm to 40 MPH in about 10 seconds. That is the scenario that worries me because it is one of the few times I actually use an awning.

Fiamma awnings are used by the Overlanding crowd and are considered very stout.

I also wouldn't mind saving $800 or so
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:07 PM   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
Agree. Having owned 2 stick RV's, longevity is very important to me and is why I ordered an Escape. Anything that is likely to break is a negative. I'm sure many of you have been in the desert when it goes from dead calm to 40 MPH in about 10 seconds. That is the scenario that worries me because it is one of the few times I actually use an awning.

Fiamma awnings are used by the Overlanding crowd and are considered very stout.

I also wouldn't mind saving $800 or so
Have to agree here. I've already stated on my 2017 build not to use the Dometic awning. I want a manual with supports or nothing and I'll engineer a manual version myself.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #375

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Where the heck are all you folks who are so vehemently opposed to the new awning getting the idea that they are such a terrible thing, before even having tried one out? Do you know anyone first hand who has had troubles? Kinda sounds like dead skin on trial here?

Time will tell, and hasn't Escape pretty much stood behind everything they did? Even the choices that did not work out perfect.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #376

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Where the heck are all you folks who are so vehemently opposed to the new awning getting the idea that they are such a terrible thing, before even having tried one out? Do you know anyone first hand who has had troubles? Kinda sounds like dead skin on trial here?

Time will tell, and hasn't Escape pretty much stood behind everything they did? Even the choices that did not work out perfect.

I've said it before, if folks want a fiberglass trailer brand that never improves, never changes and never advances - they're out there for you, but it ain't an Escape.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #377

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I don't get it either. We've already got stress fractures impacting the re-sale value of trailers that aren't even built yet. And regarding these doomsday scenarios, it's nuts in my opinion to leave an awning deployed and unattended.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #378

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
The cracking issue I agree with you Jim, not sure why we're worrying about that which is an ETI manufacturing issue and Reace and Tammy are great at that end of things and I'm sure they've engineered it correctly and as always will stand behind it.

But cmon, Jim. You have enough field camping experience to know that an awning that can only be deployed in a straight out/straight in with no ability to change slope or tilt in the field will not have a high level of practicality. Once one has years of experience camping and trailering, we can look at new products and determine potential shortfalls very easily without having to try one first. We all do it on this forum all the time on all kinds of products that we haven't purchased or tried yet. So far I've not seen any evidence to the contrary that this isn't exactly the case on this relatively new awning. I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer a Fiamma option (still a case awning retaining the clean lines) if it doesn't present any serious issues with assembly or reworking the existing molds, etc.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #379

Quote:

True, but for those of us that don't need or want a $2,000 awning there's nothing wrong with having a choice that saves weight, complexity, and cost right? This is a product forum where we are discussing product attributes. No offense to the manufacturer, but some of us may have some constructive ideas to offer.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #380
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
There is a possibility that Escape will not delete the standard automatic awning or they may delete but not credit anything. It is their perogative....