2017 19' Exterior Photos - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2016, 05:25 AM   #81

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Most power awnings have a "dump" feature that when the weight builds up due to water collecting, one side will drop and dump the water. When the first time this happened I was unfortunately sitting at the wrong end and got an unexpected shower!!
I like the enclosed case, may protect and keep the awning cleaner, as long as there is a manual back up, I'm sold.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:49 AM   #82

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I remember when they changed the body on the Chevy SIlverado, thought they made a mistake with that one. Over time it grew on me, the NBS (new body style) a more modern look then the OBS (old body style). Kind of like the Camaros and Mustangs.

The flat door may not have the character of the old, but the new one does solve a couple issues with the old. The screen won't pull out of the track all the time, and no gaps in the door.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 AM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Reace said above "The windows shown in the photos are all opened as far as they go. "

My concern is that even with all the windows open as much as possible.... i dont think they'd let very much air in.

and i prefer to not run the roof fan much..

the older style of windows could be slid open much wider..... no?

however this new style is better to leave open when there might be a tiny bit of rain, correct?

This is one change that will be a trade off for us Losangeles. Windows open only a limited amount but able to be opened in the rain. I can imagine many situations where having a natural breeze would be nicer than having the fan running but sleeping through the night with the threat of rain and not worrying about water coming in an open window seems good
Bear101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:07 AM   #84

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
No more black streaks...........
Old 03-22-2016, 06:17 AM   #85

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Some of the new changes for 2017...
It looks great finished, Reace. Seeing with the windows and awning installed, and graphics on, it definitely finishes the look nicely, just as you suspected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouterse View Post
I may be a bit biased, and obviously in the minority here, but personally I prefer the old look.

please don't shoot me

Jack
I fully understand what you are saying, as this is a common reaction of many (myself included) to the change of a design you already like.

Will the DM2663 fridge have the optional ice maker?
Actually I kid, as I really can't see getting that anyway, but.......

I am sure most will come to like it. What I see more than the aesthetics of the shell changes, is the merits they bring overall;
- a much better sealing door
- better window
- better awning overall (though I do have a few concerns)
- better fridge allowed by a wider door opening
- wider top and bottom corners for a bit better storage
- straighter walls inside will be nice too, allowing for better use of space
- plus all the other advantages not seen yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
You were right, Jim B, when you said there would be some who prefer the old style.

And with dogs, I like having the retractable screen so they can't scratch at it like the ones that are attached to the door. They have a tendency to put holes in those type.
Oh man, I am copying that and showing my wife.

Not following with the dogs and the screen. Why would they scratch at one type over the other?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Reace can confirm, but I'm sure that this is an off-the-shelf RV door. The big advantage of going to flat is being able to use ready-made components like this.
Yes, it is a pre-made assembly, something that will allow them a smoother production schedule. The old style door cost them a lot in man hours to produce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
When I did a Google search for Dometic case awning arms, I saw some images of what look like add-on bracing arms used with this design of awning. Adding braces and turning off the auto-retract might be possible.
I do like the thought of optional braces.

An awning is a huge factor in our camping style, being outside almost all the time, and it would sure be a pain if marginal weather conditions meant that it needed to be retracted.

I love the idea of this awning. I certainly hoping it performs well in real life conditions. I bet it will though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
As we are in the pickle to decide old or new version, I would like to see specs, standard features and option lists from old and new version listed beside each other to compare. It's very nice ETI put on the new one right away, but now the old is gone (should have printed it off)
Escape has to put up the new specs, as any new customers will be ordering the 2017 model. I bet a buck they would be pleased to provide a list of features for those with a 2016 order in place, with the option of upgrading to the 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Wonder what the new storage box will look like.(if there is a new one)
Seeing the front and rear of the trailer has not changed, I see no reason to change the storage box.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:24 AM   #86

I wonder if the air-conditioner is now feature instead of and option? I also wonder if ETI has also redesigned the storage box?
Old 03-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Most power awnings have a "dump" feature that when the weight builds up due to water collecting, one side will drop and dump the water. When the first time this happened I was unfortunately sitting at the wrong end and got an unexpected shower!!
I like the enclosed case, may protect and keep the awning cleaner, as long as there is a manual back up, I'm sold.
Just watched a video on the Dometic 9500 case awning. IF this is the one ETI is using, looks pretty awesome. As Jim pointed out there is an auto dump capability. The video indicated that there is also a manual version of this awning. Here is the link, again I do not know that this is the ETI selection but...

Dometic 9500 Case Awning - RV Patio Awnings - Camping World
Old 03-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear101 View Post
I wonder if the air-conditioner is now feature instead of and option?
I doubt very much that A/C would be a standard feature. There are lots of folks who never camp where it is needed. In the 6+ years of owning our Escape 19, there were maybe 6 days I would have taken advantage of it if we had it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #89

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I don't see how the new is a vast improvement over the old.
The old had windows ,the new has windows -- the old had an awning ,the new has an awning , the old had a refrigerator ,the new has a refrigerator ETC. ETC. ETC. So far the small changes that we've been shown don't seem to warrant all the hype or increased cost IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I don't see how the new is a vast improvement over the old.
The old had windows ,the new has windows -- the old had an awning ,the new has an awning , the old had a refrigerator ,the new has a refrigerator ETC. ETC. ETC. So far the small changes that we've been shown don't seem to warrant all the hype or increased cost IMHO
I guess those interested in buying can better see the merits, as they are the ones who will purchase the new models. The improvements shine through big for me. Just the windows and door alone are almost enough to sway me. Do remember only a part of the cost increase is due to the changes, the rest do to component cost increases.

Besides, won't your new trailer, either the Oliver or Airstream (not sure which one you have settled on, as I don't peruse those forums), have the same features, yet cost MUCH more yet?

I am not at all saying that the cost of the Oliver or Airstream is unwarranted, they are great products, but I do still believe in the added value of the new Escape design, as I am sure many, many others will agree to, and will put their money down to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
After reading this thread through several times and taking the sentiments expressed to their logical conclusion ,we have decided to go for an Oliver or Airstream trailer. It will wipe out a large portion of our retirement savings but what the heck you only live once.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #91

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I know that these pictures are of the new 19 model, but based upon what I have seen, I can safely say that I see nothing new that would make us want to change to the new model on our 17B. Which is a good thing.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #92

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
We have the typical reaction to "change", and are trying very hard to embrace the new features, after falling in love with the classic look. However, as full timers , we also spend a considerable amount of time in our patio under the awning, and this is a major paradigm shift.

How will we be able to support this awning?

Will we be able to engage a manual override?

How can we attach privacy screens to it?

Attached is an example of a typical setup at our campsite. As with all awning types, we also exercise caution and never set up under extreme conditions.

Sign me...concerned.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #93

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I prefer the original version:
  • The new body style coming out of the new moulds seems to have lost much of the character that the original had. Seems a bit more "straight sided" and "boxier" looking than the original.
  • The new door probably resolves some of the issues people had with the old door, but again, they have gone in the direction of functional at the expense of appearance. The old door was very appealing to me.
  • I am not really a fan of adding high tech for the sake of high tech. The older manually operated awning can be more readily repaired by a dumb shmuck like me than the electronic version. If something were to malfunction on the automated version, I would be standing there for a month scratching my head. I like the look of not having the awning arms on the new version, however, I have concerns regarding operation of the awning in winds and rains where the older version could be utilized.
  • I think the new window style is ok. The look will take a bit of getting used to. I never had any issues with the older windows and would probably prefer the overall appearance and operation of the old compared to the new.
  • It is nice that the new door allows more choices for a fridge. That is good.
  • Addition of a medicine cabinet in the bathroom is a definite plus. May have to think about best way to retrofit one into my own 19'.
Overall, I would choose the classic version over the new version. I suppose that in a year or two when everyone is more used to the new version, it may be more appealing. I expect that the new version comes with its own benefits to ETI that will allow them to mass produce more trailers for more people with greater speed and fewer issues. Obviously, those benefits to them outweigh the reduced visual appeal that comes with the new design. I would suggest that ETI keep the old moulds just in case.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #94

The awning can be operated manually too, in case of a problem.

As mentioned above, of all the changes, the awning is still the one thing I am sceptical about, but I bet my concerns will be allayed once we get to know it better. I certainly do like the concept of it.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #95

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRay View Post
I agree!
Yea, I'm a, "purist" too. But happy for those who like the new model. Everybody's happy (can't say that often, huh?).
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #96

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'
Very smooth! What a feat . Well done you guys. We still love ours though!
Jenny & Ian
Old 03-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #97

Trailer: 17
Love the flat wider door. Looks to have three strong looking hinges too. Has the roof line also gone flatter for a solar panel to sit more flush? I could not tell. All windows open in the rain makes a nice breeze with the roof fan. Excellent Reace!!
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #98

Trailer: 1996 Northstar 10'
If some are on the fence, new vs old: order one with half the windows old style and the other half new style. Problem solved.
msethsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #99

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouterse View Post
I may be a bit biased, and obviously in the minority here, but personally I prefer the old look.

please don't shoot me

Jack
not to worry..the changes in the 2017 may have increased the value of anything prior to it and especially 2015-2016 models as they are the last of the previous design with all fixes applied. Some will like the 2017 going forward and some will not and for those your trailer just went up in value!
and I for one applaud independent thought and free speech..its rare on many forums.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:10 AM   #100

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I prefer the original version:
  • The new body style coming out of the new moulds seems to have lost much of the character that the original had. Seems a bit more "straight sided" and "boxier" looking than the original.
  • The new door probably resolves some of the issues people had with the old door, but again, they have gone in the direction of functional at the expense of appearance. The old door was very appealing to me.
  • I am not really a fan of adding high tech for the sake of high tech. The older manually operated awning can be more readily repaired by a dumb shmuck like me than the electronic version. If something were to malfunction on the automated version, I would be standing there for a month scratching my head. I like the look of not having the awning arms on the new version, however, I have concerns regarding operation of the awning in winds and rains where the older version could be utilized.
  • I think the new window style is ok. The look will take a bit of getting used to. I never had any issues with the older windows and would probably prefer the overall appearance and operation of the old compared to the new.
  • It is nice that the new door allows more choices for a fridge. That is good.
  • Addition of a medicine cabinet in the bathroom is a definite plus. May have to think about best way to retrofit one into my own 19'.
Overall, I would choose the classic version over the new version. I suppose that in a year or two when everyone is more used to the new version, it may be more appealing. I expect that the new version comes with its own benefits to ETI that will allow them to mass produce more trailers for more people with greater speed and fewer issues. Obviously, those benefits to them outweigh the reduced visual appeal that comes with the new design. I would suggest that ETI keep the old moulds just in case.
great comments and especially that last suggestion.....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote