2017 19' Exterior Photos - Page 18 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2016, 12:55 AM   #341
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
I''m hoping in the next year before my 19' enters production there will be other options for those of us who don't want a big heavy complicated awning.
It's not much of a weight difference between the motorized Dometic and the manual Fiamma - about 20 lbs. As far as complexity goes, you can't get much more simple than an automatic case awning with two arms. A motor doesn't add much complexity. To me the biggest factor is cost. The 15' Dometic 9500 motorized is over 2 grand. That's a lot of money for an awning, and it inevitably adds a lot to the trailer price.

One alternative worth considering is the Dometic 9500 manual awning instead of the motorized one. The fitment would be identical with less work involved than the powered one, because there's no electrical connection. And, the cost is almost half. You can always ask.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:10 AM   #342

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It's not much of a weight difference between the motorized Dometic and the manual Fiamma - about 20 lbs. As far as complexity goes, you can't get much more simple than an automatic case awning with two arms. For me the biggest factor is cost. The 15' Dometic 9500 motorized is over 2 grand. That's a lot of money for an awning, and it inevitably adds a lot to the trailer price.

One alternative worth considering is the Dometic 9500 manual awning instead of the motorized one. The fitment would be identical with less work involved than the powered one, because there's no electrical connection. And, the cost is almost half. You can always ask.
Robert it isn't only the motor and weight , the support arms missing ,and I think has been already stated the stress of that awning on the thin fiberglass if it is flapping around ? I think if that was my choice I would delete it and make sure whatever supports are there for a awning and get my Fiamma on my own . Would also need blocks glassed in for the 2 side chrome supports supports if I didn't want it on the ground . As I said before just my thoughts . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:44 AM   #343
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Robert it isn't only the motor and weight , the support arms missing ,and I think has been already stated the stress of that awning on the thin fiberglass if it is flapping around ? I think if that was my choice I would delete it and make sure whatever supports are there for a awning and get my Fiamma on my own . Would also need blocks glassed in for the 2 side chrome supports supports if I didn't want it on the ground . As I said before just my thoughts . Pat
I agree that no support arms below is quite a change from the traditional design, but I've no data on how it will hold up, so at this point it's just speculation.

I should think that Escape reinforces the mounting points for the awning, so any additional stress is less of a concern.

This type of awning has been used on trailers for some time now, and if you read the reviews, there's both good and bad. I guess time will tell. I would still ask about the non motorized version however, simply because of the price difference.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:46 AM   #344

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Interesting, this site says the awning is 110v, not 12v Dometic 9500 Case Awning on Sale - PPL Motor Homes
I had assumed they were 12v battery operated, but with 110v you have to be connected to operate, limits those who do not camp hooked up. Perhaps a manual option would be beneficial, only $200 cost differential.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #345

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
This type of awning has been used on trailers for some time now, and if you read the reviews, there's both good and bad. I guess time will tell. I would still ask about the non motorized version however, simply because of the price difference.
I know that I am quite excited to give this awning a try. Not to say due to no experience with it that I have no apprehension at all, but I love the idea, and even more the look they afford the trailer. Though a bit pricier, I like the idea of having it motorized too. It can always be operated manually if needed too.

Again, I know Reace looked at a few different options, checking them all out before deciding this would be the best option. I am good with that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #346

Trailer: 17
Me too....I had assumed they were 12v battery operated, but with 110v you might have to be connected to operate? one of us needs to ask Reace on the answer and report back.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:54 AM   #347

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Me too....I had assumed they were 12v battery operated, but with 110v you might have to be connected to operate? one of us needs to ask Reace on the answer and report back.
CampingWorld

Available in 12-volt power or easy manual crank-out operation

Most likely just a mistake on that first website's listing. Since this awning is apparently available in the same size either as electric or manual, if there is demand for the manual version I bet Reace will consider making it available.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #348

Thanks, Thoer does that answer it Jim?
Old 04-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #349

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Reace demonstrated the awning for me when I was at the factory on April 1st. It looks pretty light weight, is very quiet and easy to operate with a tiny remote control. He manipulated the awning with motion of what it would be like on a windy day, and it went back in on its own. BTW, the trailer was not plugged in. Like others say, only time will tell on how it works out.
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #350

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
I agree that no support arms below is quite a change from the traditional design, but I've no data on how it will hold up, so at this point it's just speculation.

I should think that Escape reinforces the mounting points for the awning, so any additional stress is less of a concern.
I'm sure they use the optional backing plate for this type of installation:

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/ass...inginstall.pdf

I'd still like to know what the TOTAL weight is with the backing plate, hardware, and motor kit. Couldn't find that anywhere.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #351

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So it appears it is available in both manual and automatic, with either 12v or 110 v operation? Perhaps the description should say automatic dc operation w/remote
Hopefully this will be corroborated.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #352

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
From earlier descriptions it seems that it is automatic-probably DC and can also be operated manually- either way.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #353

Trailer: 2015 Artic Fox 29-5T Fifthwheel
We just ran into other RVers with the new awning on their class A. They love it! So I for one will trust ETI in the decision and give it a try.
Rosalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #354

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
As far as complexity goes, you can't get much more simple than an automatic case awning with two arms. A motor doesn't add much complexity. To me the biggest factor is cost. The 15' Dometic 9500 motorized is over 2 grand. That's a lot of money for an awning, and it inevitably adds a lot to the trailer price.
I agree.

Quote:
That makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Robert it isn't only the motor and weight , the support arms missing ,and I think has been already stated the stress of that awning on the thin fiberglass if it is flapping around ? I think if that was my choice I would delete it and make sure whatever supports are there for a awning and get my Fiamma on my own . Would also need blocks glassed in for the 2 side chrome supports supports if I didn't want it on the ground .
The trailer is designed for the Dometic 9500. That means it does (presumably) have suitable support structure, and does not have the mounting points for a different style. I enthusiastically support the idea of making the trailer your own, to suit your own preferences, but some things don't make a lot of sense to re-design.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #355

110V? Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Interesting, this site says the awning is 110v, not 12v Dometic 9500 Case Awning on Sale - PPL Motor Homes
I had assumed they were 12v battery operated, but with 110v you have to be connected to operate, limits those who do not camp hooked up.
That's certainly an error. There is no reason to use 120V AC power for an awning, and there are multiple reasons to use 12V DC instead. Dometic's web page for the 9500 Power Case Awning says 12 volts, of course.

Also, the North American standard was 110 volts, but it has been 120 volts for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So it appears it is available in both manual and automatic, with either 12v or 110 v operation? Perhaps the description should say automatic dc operation w/remote
Hopefully this will be corroborated.
No, just manual or 12V DC, and I wouldn't need confirmation on this. 100V or 120V AC power would be idiotic, and conflicts with the specs published by everyone else.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
I'm sure they use the optional backing plate for this type of installation:

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/ass...inginstall.pdf
I think the backing plate and standoffs are for thick walls, to avoid crushing the wall, so they would only be needed in an Escape if this part of the shell is cored.

This installation guide nicely illustrates the joints for the arms - interesting.

Earlier, we discussed the possibility of bracing struts, and this installation guide lists
Quote:
Optional accessories:
3313887.000 Kit, Support Leg
3313885.000 Kit, Tie Down Strap
I couldn't find a source of the support legs, or any other information about therm from Dometic, in a quick web search.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #357

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Sorry if this has been answered already, but can the pitch of the awning be adjusted in case of a light rain?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #358

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ahhh, thanks Brian, finally got the slope question answered in the install manual. It is set for a 5 degree fabric slope on installation and it shows it can be set up to a 15 degree fabric slope, but the adjustment warns that it must be done by a dometic approved facility.

So you are stuck with the slope of the awning as it leaves ETI and there appears to be no ability to adjust the angle in the field while camping to match the varying angles of the sun, etc. It is a straight out and straight back in deal with no flexibilty.

The Fiamma case awning (both Scamp and Casita are using now) is still clean lines, but has support legs and full ability to on the fly adjust slope angle and tilt angle immediately in the field. If the Fiamma could be mounted as an option that would be my choice.

The Dometic 9500 power awning I'm showing about $1300 retail online, so ETI should be getting even better price in volume. The Fiamma's look to be around $950 retail so not much difference.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #359

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Also, the North American standard was 110 volts, but it has been 120 volts for decades

220 221 whatever it takes.

Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Sorry if this has been answered already, but can the pitch of the awning be adjusted in case of a light rain?
I thought someone said here it has an auto tilt feature for the rain runoff.