2017 19' Exterior Photos - Page 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #361

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
According to the factory install manual:
"The awning is factory preset for a 5° fabric slope to help
accommodate water runoff"
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #362

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
It is set for a 5 degree fabric slope on installation and it shows it can be set up to a 15 degree fabric slope, but the adjustment warns that it must be done by a dometic approved facility.

So you are stuck with the slope of the awning as it leaves ETI and there appears to be no ability to adjust the angle in the field while camping to match the varying angles of the sun, etc. It is a straight out and straight back in deal with no flexibilty.
I agree that it does look like this is fundamentally an installation setting, rather than a something which is routinely adjusted during use. I wouldn't be so concerned about Dometic approved facilities, since I don't think even a tech at an approved facility gets any training, but I would be careful tweaking this at home.

I think the way to accommodate varying needs is to change the amount of extension. That's not a full solution, but at least there is a way to suit the sun angle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #363

Trailer: pondering.....
A few thoughts on this new awning, not a fan of it but still decided to order a 2017 at this time.
With regard to the mfg mounting instructions posted..
Not sure how Fig #10 is accomplished or some of the following adjustments are made since the awning is effectively mounted in a gutter in the fiberglass but obviously they must be.
The optional metal mounting brackets still depend on a solid wall structure of sufficient strength and what additional structure support and material to achieve this with the 1/8” fiberglass has not been revealed by Escape.

Had a conversation with Dometic Customer support.

Dometic 9500 warranty is a 1 year limited warranty. If the failure of the awning is a result of a mounting issue then the warranty is void. ( so Escapes 2 year warranty must cover the awning and any related issues it might cause to the trailer)

The 9500 has both a motorized and a manual operation awing. They use the same mounting holes so they are interchangeable in that respect (per Dometic).

Dometic provides information to RV mfg as to the mounting requirements and it is up to the RV mfg to implement a properly engineered mounting solution on the RV.

So the bottom line is it is up to Escape to ENGINEER the trailer side of the mounting method. As a few posts mentioned and regardless of whether the awning is motorized or manual, the structure of the fiberglass shell and the design of the embedded support structure will determine how long this awning design (without support arms) lasts and what if any damage it does to the Escape fiberglass trailer. While the mfg videos for the awning operating in high winds is somewhat reassuring, the results are unproven with regard to how it will perform on a fiberglass trailer like the Escape. Escape having adopted this new awning into their new models for 2017 will be banking $$$ on whatever engineering design, structural analysis, and real world tests they did when deciding on this new awning design (without support arms) as it relates to a fiberglass shell. Unless Escape specifically tested this new fiberglass design with tests similar to the awning mfg videos and over time, then everyone who buys a 2017 is going to be a lab rat, plain and simple. If over time the new models suffer fiberglass cracks or other issues as a result of this new awning, then not only will the resale value of the 2017 models be put at risk, but also Escape as a result of $$$ claims or cost to fix the trailers. Having put my trust in Escape and ordered a 2017, I can only hope Escape did real engineering design and not something like “let’s see if this works” design with regard to this new awning.

Another random thought… the RV mfg is probably depending on the awning automatically retracting in case of winds/rain so as to mitigate any possible risk and mounting issues over time. So since a manual retraction of the awning could not be guaranteed in the case of wind/rain, then the RV mfg probably would not offer the manual awing option as it may increase the RV mfg risk/liability and the possibility of mounting issues as a result of wind/rain.

also I would hope this powered awning has some kind of real on/off switch for power besides the remote control, so it will not inadvertently open for whatever reason while traveling. The remote is "paired" with the awning, but like all things RF..stuff happens.

As another post mentioned, adding internal support structure to the fiberglass areas if required where traditional support arms would attach to the trailer might be a prudent course of action. If a user wants to do a manual awning retrofit, then the user might also desire attaching support arms. As a purchaser for the 2017 model, it would be nice to have a reasonable "Plan B" should it be needed.
With a 2017 on order and since the new awning is standard not optional, this campers current plan is to only use this new awning in sunny/light breeze situations and probably not fully extended, at least until some further engineering facts and real world performance over time have been documented.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #364

Trailer: 17
Zardoz, at the 1.32 mark you can see water runoff. The language translater did not work for me though.
https://youtu.be/JkPoOYUwcgI

Great info Freespirit, thanks for posting/sharing. I trust Reace and his years of fiberglass experience. The Owner taking care to keep it retracted during wind goes a long way.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #365
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Ahhh, thanks Brian, finally got the slope question answered in the install manual. It is set for a 5 degree fabric slope on installation and it shows it can be set up to a 15 degree fabric slope, but the adjustment warns that it must be done by a dometic approved facility.

So you are stuck with the slope of the awning as it leaves ETI and there appears to be no ability to adjust the angle in the field while camping to match the varying angles of the sun, etc. It is a straight out and straight back in deal with no flexibilty.

The Fiamma case awning (both Scamp and Casita are using now) is still clean lines, but has support legs and full ability to on the fly adjust slope angle and tilt angle immediately in the field. If the Fiamma could be mounted as an option that would be my choice.
Agree the leg support and adjustable slope angle are more suitable for desert camping.
The Dometic 9500 power awning I'm showing about $1300 retail online, so ETI should be getting even better price in volume. The Fiamma's look to be around $950 retail so not much difference.
Hum what length awning are you looking at? I am sure the 21 or 5.0 a awning will be in the $2000 range.
Bottom line is with out leg supports the full load of an extended awning (leverage) will be applied to a very narrow support bracket, The wind/sun/rain and gravitational forces over time will more than likely cause stress fractures. I think the Fiamma's or something similar would be a good alternative. I mean one of the reason I am buying a FGRV is for their longevity.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #366

Ooops, looks like your right Tknocker. When I went on the site and configured it upped the price to $2k. So a Fiamma would need to include a credit most likely. I still think for me I'd have to have a Fiamma option and the flexibility of deployment it offers to have any usability of the awning in the SW.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #367
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
agreed Two most important aspects of an awning during desert camping is sun and wind.Trailer direction and awning slope are critical along with cold beer.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #368

You bring the awning, I'll bring the beer...
Old 04-13-2016, 03:32 PM   #369

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
<------<<< Wants beer too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #370

Trailer: pondering.....
after further conversation with Dometic support, it appears the 9500 options as one other post mentioned for tie down straps and support arms is real. ..the additional info seems to indicate the arms are for support to the ground only and not to the rv. The manner in which they mount to the awning lead rail appears to limit the angle they can be used and how robust the attachment method is yet to be determined for any other application. The competitors arms allow arm feet to also attach to the rv.
However using these arm supports especially if tied down could be somewhat of a problem with the motorized awning unless the automatic wind/rain sensor is disabled during use and this warning is noted in the instructions for use to remove power from the awning.
In any event.. if the optional parts are real, Escape might consider taking this into account and offer to include them or make them an option and sell them with the Escape 2017 models.
Optional accessories:
3313887.000 Kit, Support Leg
3313885.000 Kit, Tie Down Strap
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #371

You'd have a good drive, Jim, but come on down....
Old 04-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #372
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
The Dometic 9500 power awning I'm showing about $1300 retail online...

I think they start in the $1300 range, but when you configure it and choose the 14' or 15' length, the price jumps dramatically.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #373

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnocker View Post
I think the Fiamma's or something similar would be a good alternative. I mean one of the reason I am buying a FGRV is for their longevity.
Agree. Having owned 2 stick RV's, longevity is very important to me and is why I ordered an Escape. Anything that is likely to break is a negative. I'm sure many of you have been in the desert when it goes from dead calm to 40 MPH in about 10 seconds. That is the scenario that worries me because it is one of the few times I actually use an awning.

Fiamma awnings are used by the Overlanding crowd and are considered very stout.

I also wouldn't mind saving $800 or so
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #374

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
Agree. Having owned 2 stick RV's, longevity is very important to me and is why I ordered an Escape. Anything that is likely to break is a negative. I'm sure many of you have been in the desert when it goes from dead calm to 40 MPH in about 10 seconds. That is the scenario that worries me because it is one of the few times I actually use an awning.

Fiamma awnings are used by the Overlanding crowd and are considered very stout.

I also wouldn't mind saving $800 or so
Have to agree here. I've already stated on my 2017 build not to use the Dometic awning. I want a manual with supports or nothing and I'll engineer a manual version myself.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #375

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Where the heck are all you folks who are so vehemently opposed to the new awning getting the idea that they are such a terrible thing, before even having tried one out? Do you know anyone first hand who has had troubles? Kinda sounds like dead skin on trial here?

Time will tell, and hasn't Escape pretty much stood behind everything they did? Even the choices that did not work out perfect.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #376

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Where the heck are all you folks who are so vehemently opposed to the new awning getting the idea that they are such a terrible thing, before even having tried one out? Do you know anyone first hand who has had troubles? Kinda sounds like dead skin on trial here?

Time will tell, and hasn't Escape pretty much stood behind everything they did? Even the choices that did not work out perfect.

I've said it before, if folks want a fiberglass trailer brand that never improves, never changes and never advances - they're out there for you, but it ain't an Escape.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #377

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I don't get it either. We've already got stress fractures impacting the re-sale value of trailers that aren't even built yet. And regarding these doomsday scenarios, it's nuts in my opinion to leave an awning deployed and unattended.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #378

Quote:
The cracking issue I agree with you Jim, not sure why we're worrying about that which is an ETI manufacturing issue and Reace and Tammy are great at that end of things and I'm sure they've engineered it correctly and as always will stand behind it.

But cmon, Jim. You have enough field camping experience to know that an awning that can only be deployed in a straight out/straight in with no ability to change slope or tilt in the field will not have a high level of practicality. Once one has years of experience camping and trailering, we can look at new products and determine potential shortfalls very easily without having to try one first. We all do it on this forum all the time on all kinds of products that we haven't purchased or tried yet. So far I've not seen any evidence to the contrary that this isn't exactly the case on this relatively new awning. I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer a Fiamma option (still a case awning retaining the clean lines) if it doesn't present any serious issues with assembly or reworking the existing molds, etc.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #379

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:

True, but for those of us that don't need or want a $2,000 awning there's nothing wrong with having a choice that saves weight, complexity, and cost right? This is a product forum where we are discussing product attributes. No offense to the manufacturer, but some of us may have some constructive ideas to offer.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #380

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a possibility that Escape will not delete the standard automatic awning or they may delete but not credit anything. It is their perogative....