2017 Improvement leaks before 4/1/2016 unveiling... - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #81

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
So, Jim, May's too early to get the 2017 5.0 TA. Are you going ahead with the 2016 classic or waiting longer? Inquiring minds want to know?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #82

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jim B. seems to be tight lipped, too sad for inquiring minds....
Old 03-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
So, Jim, May's too early to get the 2017 5.0 TA. Are you going ahead with the 2016 classic or waiting longer? Inquiring minds want to know?
Waiting, (im)patiently waiting.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Jim Bennett, thanks for the link to Chris' blog. We saw his 5.0 TA at the rally last year, and admired his work -- now I have the photos to remind me of it.

We just got back from our 6 1/2 week journey. On the way back we were thinking about the trip and how we get "better" at traveling each time we go out. Also how much we like our trailer. But when I look at the work Chris has done, I can't help but think there would be a nice little business for someone who was handy and could do some of the mods that Chris has done. sort of like the "little house customs" business that Larry and Debbie Gamble (sp?) have for Casita. I don't have any woodworking tools, and I am a bit afraid to cut the PTEX plumbing lines. So if there were such a business, here is what I would have them do:
  • build a drawer for under the bed storage (I know I can buy one, and probably will)
  • build towel rods for the shower door. Seems like these would strengththen the door too. Chris did a nice job on these
  • Put the expansion tank in the water system
  • cushion the water pump ala Chris (and as I recall, Jim B did this to his 19).
  • add an interior switch for the electric part of the water heater
  • do custom cabinets and sink for the kitchen area ala Chris
That is probably about it. Lindy, being the pragmatic one, would probably not go for a lot of this. But she was awfully impressed by Chris' work

Jim, I know you are near retirement. any chance you might want to do a small side business customizing Escape trailers?
Old 03-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #85

Jim, I know you are near retirement. any chance you might want to do a small side business customizing Escape trailers?
Then he would no longer be retired...............
Old 03-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #86

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I don't know if this will work ... as iyts the first time I have tried to post a picture.

The picture is of my new faucet. I was heading to Bellingham, Wa for my orientation from my home in Juneau, Ak. There is no wifi on the ferries. So when ETI started to test my trailer before my pick up, they discovered that the faucet ordered for installation was faulty. It leaked from the valve and would not hold pressure. Very much to the credit of ETI and their wonderful Customer Service, Tammy emailed me about the problem and wondered if I would like them to install one of their 2017 faucets. I didn't get the email til 3 hours before my orientation.... asked for a picture. When I saw it, I said A-OK and they had it installed and had it working for my orientation. YEAH! ETI!

I hope its ok for me to post this picture.

Tom
not a fan of those all in one handle faucets versus the older two water knob style . Replaced 3 of those type (all high $$$, Moen,etc) in my house in the last 4 years....poor engineering and cheap construction... Previous old style unit with two knobs lasted for 12 years! Hope ETI makes that new faucet an option and not standard or finds one that is easily replaceable.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
not a fan of those all in one handle faucets versus the older two water knob style . Replaced 3 of those type (all high $$$, Moen,etc) in my house in the last 4 years....poor engineering and cheap construction... Previous old style unit with two knobs lasted for 12 years! Hope ETI makes that new faucet an option and not standard or finds one that is easily replaceable.
I second this one. First thought I had when I saw the pic of that faucet, was that looks just like our kitchen one that has been a leaky mess. 2nd one now in kitchen, first was very expensive Moen, current one is mid-dollar and needs replacement after a year. I'm watching the habitat store for a good used solid one now, cause getting too much $$$ replacing the kitchen pull out faucets.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #88

I doubt the one in your camper will get anywhere near the use of the one in your house but it is something to consider.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #89

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
I have had a pull out facet for over 10 years now . It is a price fister . I had paid 200 then . About 5 years ago redid kitchen counter and a new sink just cleaned facet up and it still is in use . The facet head is not the round one though . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #90

so is this leaked info correct that the new 2017 models now feature single handle faucets and frame less windows as standard....all of which this potential purchaser at this point would rather not have as standard...not the higher cost for both initial purchase and the possible future higher maintenance cost associated with them! if so 2017 may be looking like a questionable improvement versus a 2016 to this prospective buyer....being a newbie to Escape trailers, was there some kind of owner or potential buyer feedback to Escape some time ago that drives these "improvement" decisions?
Old 03-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #91

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
so is this correct that the new 2017 models now feature single handle faucets as standard, and frame less windows.......
It is my solid understanding that frameless (insulated) windows will be an extra price OPTION on 2017 Escapes.

Plus Escape is so unbelievably helpful for many many different options... i'm confident that you could easily arrange for a double handle faucet.

just my 2c.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I only plan to semi-retire in the near future. Folks do have to realize that custom work is more costly than assembly line type work where everything is standard. I know this will, as custom work on people's homes is what I do. That said, all depending on how factors for doing work line up, I would definitely be interested.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I only plan to semi-retire in the near future. Folks do have to realize that custom work is more costly than assembly line type work where everything is standard. I know this will, as custom work on people's homes is what I do. That said, all depending on how factors for doing work line up, I would definitely be interested.
I vote for Jim building a mobile shop so he can travel to all the customers he'll line up....
Old 03-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #94

Quote:
... being a newbie to Escape trailers, was there some kind of owner or potential buyer feedback to Escape some time ago that drives these "improvement" decisions?
Improvements and changes are driven by many factors.
- poor performance of existing
- changing trends
- better function of new
- customer desires
- availability of product
- more cost effective for manufacturing
- and many more

Escape does a good job of making these improvements, and does so more often than most manufacturers.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
It is my solid understanding that frameless (insulated) windows will be an extra price OPTION on 2017 Escapes.

Plus Escape is so unbelievably helpful for many many different options... i'm confident that you could easily arrange for a double handle faucet.

just my 2c.
Only insulated is an option.

I really don't understand the desire to move backwards and go to dual lever taps. Yes, they do work, but other than classic designs, the vast majority of taps installed are single lever. For what we install for folks in their homes, at least 95‰ are single lever. Improving products for better function is a good thing, in my books.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #96

Quote:
I vote for Jim building a mobile shop so he can travel to all the customers he'll line up....
Sounds like a good plan. Travel and work combined.

However, I would need to pull a cargo trailer with tools and supplies behind my trailer. That is legal in Alberta, but not everywhere.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #97

Quote:
Only insulated is an option.

I really don't understand the desire to move backwards and go to dual lever taps. Yes, they do work, but other than classic designs, the vast majority of taps installed are single lever. For what we install for folks in their homes, at least 95‰ are single lever. Improving products for better function is a good thing, in my books.
so frameless windows is a done deal for a standard in 2017 and insulated windows only is still an option..any definite info on the manufacturer of the windows so one could research this "improvement" before making a 2017 purchase decision on possibly the 2017 April "fools" day?..guessing Escape had to make a mold change for these type windows if it has a similar mounting design requirement like many fiberglass truck caps had to deal with.
agree with your "improving products for better function is a good thing" BUT not if it involves reduced quality,reliability and more costly maintenance. So many things are designed for a consumer mentality of "throw it away and get a new one"...spending 30K+ on a trailer does not meet that design criteria IMHO.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #98

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
not a fan of those all in one handle faucets versus the older two water knob style . (snip)
Quote:
I second this one. First thought I had when I saw the pic of that faucet, was that looks just like our kitchen one that has been a leaky mess. 2nd one now in kitchen, first was very expensive Moen, current one is mid-dollar and needs replacement after a year.(snip)
Quote:
(snip) I really don't understand the desire to move backwards and go to dual lever taps.(snip)
Well, I LOVE single lever faucets! I have tendonitis and it can really hurt some days to twist a knob - whether it's on a faucet or a door (we have single lever door handles as well). Our kitchen, shower and bathroom faucets have been working just fine for over 10 years.

With a single lever I know exactly where I need to set it to get the hot temperature that I want. I don't have to fiddle around turning the knobs multiple times. I save water that way! Win, win! I can also use my wrist to turn the water on and off, so I can flip it off when I'm soaping my hands or brushing my teeth - another win for the environment. (and our water bill)

ETI is going to install a single lever faucet for the bathroom as well. I'm thrilled that they're going to do that as I did not want to twist those knobs.

This is what we're getting, in case anyone is wondering:

Amazon.com: Dura Faucet (DF-SA150-CP) Single Lever RV Shower Faucet Valve Diverter - For: Recreational Vehicle, Motor Home, Travel Trailer, Camper, Fifth (5th) Wheel, Towable (Chrome): Automotive
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Well, I LOVE single lever faucets! I have tendonitis and it can really hurt some days to twist a knob - whether it's on a faucet or a door (we have single lever door handles as well). Our kitchen, shower and bathroom faucets have been working just fine for over 10 years.
I absolutely agree that it should be available for folks that want it, but this one in my thinking, should be available as an option and not a standard. The talk seems to indicate it will be a standard.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #100

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote: